Bad weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NadMat:
as does a nice hot toddy by a roaring fire

What the heck is a toddy.... Matt??? :eyebrow:

Thanks for the welcome, I'm actually about 30 minutes east of Austin in Bastrop. I don't want any part of anything colder...Brrrrrrrrrr! Someone just told me that as soon as it stops raining the temp will be perfect for camping (something I love and miss dearly). I'm thinking it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to cold to be any where there isn't a heater (hiked up to a nice warm 80f).

How much longer does Tx stay cold???

KBulla:
Oh, Baby!!! Please send pictures when you have your new look complete! Just a northern tip here, but you may want to stock up on flannel.

Oh Darlin, just you wait..... I'll be so smoking hot I'll defrost that iced up windshield (which I had no clue how to defrost the first time it happened, I just kinda stood there in shock looking at it)...

I should get one of the girls to take a picture for you... They have protested the heater being up so warm, something about cooking their insides (shaaaaah). I'm sitting here in long johns and sweat pants with a hoodie, gloves and big thick black socks. I'm certainly a sight for sore eyes....

I'm not as hot as Colin was on that last camping trip to the Peace River.. Who the heck would have thought that if you threw peanuts into a camp fire (for the record, Orlando Eric started it) anyone allergic to them would have big fat puffy eyes the next day.... HE was truly sexy sporting those slits :rofl3: (love ya man.... mean it)

When i was a kid apparently i called sleet "Thick rain". Thinking about it, it seems a good description.

Freezing rain is a PITA making everything like a skating rink, followed a close second by freezing fog.

Not seen any of that or snow or ice this year. 2006 warmest year ever here and so far this winter has broken all previous records too. Its still 5-6c above average every day.

Result is endless rain and wind. No snow,ice and even very little frost. Its horrible.

baitedstorm:
What the heck is a toddy.... Matt??? :eyebrow:

Thanks for the welcome, I'm actually about 30 minutes east of Austin in Bastrop. I don't want any part of anything colder...Brrrrrrrrrr! Someone just told me that as soon as it stops raining the temp will be perfect for camping (something I love and miss dearly). I'm thinking it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to cold to be any where there isn't a heater (hiked up to a nice warm 80f).

How much longer does Tx stay cold???
drinkstreet.com:
Hot Toddy

1 1/2 ounces Whiskey
1 ounce Honey
1/3 ounce Lemon Juice
3 ounces Water (Hot)
If you have a microwave, the easiest way to make this drink is to warm the honey and lemon juice for about half a minute and then to add hot water and the whiskey. Otherwise, we recommend that you stir the honey and lemon juice into extremely warm water, allow it to cool slightly, and add the whiskey.
Figure it will be cold off and on thru Feb. or mid March at latest, but cold fronts only stay a few days at a time and then you get back to 60's or 70's.

I've enjoyed camping and biking down in your neck of the woods many time in Bastrop and Buescher state parks. Come on up to Travis sometime and experience Texas lake diving.

String:
Freezing rain is a PITA making everything like a skating rink, followed a close second by freezing fog.
Ouch – some of the worst freezing fog I’ve encountered is about 100 miles west of Bastrop over in the hill country around Kerrville and I can’t recall much east of San Marcos. When the dew point and temperature get within 2 or 3 degrees of each other and the temp falls just below freezing – that is something that will come on very fast and surprise you with the amount of ice you’ll encounter. You can be driving along and with no precipitation, suddenly your windshield starts to freeze over, bridges ice over, and everything gets covered in ice. This can really get you just before sunup on a clear but slightly foggy night.

A hot toddy can be pretty much any kind of mixed drink served hot. A cultural faux pas to avoid is using a light tropical type rum like Capt. Morgan in a hot drink, use only a heavy rum like Meyers. Hot buttered rum with lots of cinnamon and clove is pretty popular over in the hill country during the winter and up in Amarillo for some reason.

Boy I sure am glad ya'll explained that whole hot toddy thing to me.... my imagination was starting to run with that one...

I will definitely have to try out Lake Travis, when it gets warmer.. I'm not exactly sure what one would see down there, but I'm a self entertainer most of the time so it's certain to be exciting.

Bill, your kinda freaking me out.. I have to drive to Lockhart in the morning. It's always colder there with a lot more fog. I guess it's closer to "Hill Country" cause I sneeze like a mad woman from the Cedar pollen (never knew about that either til I moved here). I'm a little afraid of all those signs on the bridges saying "Watch for ice on bridge". Is that something I will be able to see before I cross it? I'll be taking 20 straight into Lockhart (that's a little bumpy nothing farm road with a bunch of hill like dips in the road)..

Hurricanes are so much easier

baitedstorm:
Boy I sure am glad ya'll explained that whole hot toddy thing to me.... my imagination was starting to run with that one...

..snip..

picturing something more like this??? :wink: :D

Todd?

fireman.jpg

Might work for you girls (and some of you guys, ...not that there is anything wrong with that :D) but I'll go with the alchohol, and some honey(s). I am going to work at home this morning, maybe all day if weather gets any worse, think I'll put the Dr. No DVD in for a little taste of honey...

Honey Ryder(Ursula Andress - Dr. No)
ua007.jpg

Boy am I glad I live in California...

We might have bad weather, and in NorCal it can get interesting, but unless you live in the High Sierra we don't have to worry about not being able to go anywhere because of the weather for a few days.

Too bad the traffic sucks and you need 600K to buy a house...

:popcorn:

Actually the reason I try to stay home in this type of weather is less that it can't be driven in, but that so many won't drive safely in it. I can keep from running into things, but can't do a lot about keeping things from running into me. If you think about it and pay attention, drive easy, no hard braking or acceleration, no quick moves, you are probably going to be ok most places. But some people just don't get that and in the slippery conditions you don't have enough traction to get the heck out of their way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom