wont fill my tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smitty71

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone ever heard of a dive shop refusing to fill a tank because they didn't do the VIP? I was really pissed.

smitty71:
Has anyone ever heard of a dive shop refusing to fill a tank because they didn't do the VIP? I was really pissed.

Not if your tank is current, I haven't...

I take it that you have a current VIP sticker on your tank?

And I take it that your tank's hydro is current??

yep all good, as a matter of fact hydro and VIP less than 6 months old.

Yes, I have heard of it if it is one of old suspect Luxfer Al-80's. I had a dive shop refuse to fill mine even though it is not one of those tanks. However, they did offer to VIP and Hydro it even if they would not fill it. I went elsewhere and they lost a customer.

Maui Dive Shop refuses to fill certain older tanks, even if they are all current. B&B fills those tanks and many others because of that.

I wouldn't be any happier than you are. I suggest you go elsewhere and keep in mind their #^#t attitude for the future.

smitty71:

did you have the Visually Plus done on it?

the Visual includes the inspector looking inside your tank making sure your tank is corrosion free, and changing the O-rings and putting silicone grease on them.

the PLUS is something called EDDY CURRENT TEST which is a test to the neck of your tank making sure no cracks are available in the neck of your tank. a threaded plastic device is screwed where your valve goes (on the neck) then it tests. eddy current tests by sending electromagnetic waves to measure certain material characteristics of metals, therefore showing internal cracks that you will not notice with your eyes.

some shops will not fill your tanks because there was no Eddy current done on the tank and if any thing might happen to your tank (explode) while filling it up in their shop than it is a danger to them.

I am guessing that is why they didn't fill it for you.

smitty71:
Did they give you a reason for not wanting to fill it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom