Huge bumphead parotfish at KK, RM 32/100g

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wisnu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We spent end of year at Kota Kinabalu (KK) and dove TAR on Dec. 31, 2006. Poor viz as dec. moonsoon - very few fishes
More sadly, when we walked at KK water front; found all eatable coral lifes had been moved and displayed in the aquariums of the KK biggest sea food restaurant - including napoleon fish and a huge bumphead parrotfish - probably 6 - 10 kg weight, offered RM 32 / 100 g. :( :(
bon a petit .. :( :(

As a matter of fact, I did see the bumphead in that Seafood Village place, I was pissed. Wisnu, you probably didn't notice a number of baby sharks as well there?

Seafood is not my favorite; but the bumphead at the Port View restaurant parotfish was really eye catching, too beautiful to be put on plate - I am not sure if this big fellow still there. Assumed 8 kg, I hope nobody will spend more than RM 2500 just to put him on plate.

Yes, I went to the seafood restaurant on the boat in the middle of a lagoon. They had all types of seafood both dead and alive. I was especially saddened to see large soda bottles with a large mantis shrimp in each bottle. Evidently, you have to keep them apart due to aggressive nature. I love seeing mantis shrimp in the wild and didn't realize they were prized dishes.

I think, this kind of "food" is common any seefood restaurant in Asia, specially in Indonesia ( i'm from indonesia)
i went to Menado on oct and des 2006.
After 1 full week of diving, i decided to go to 1 of the best seefood restaurant at Menado.
I order Grill Prawn/lobster. You know what they serve me with???
GIANT MANTHIS SHRIMP!!!
i was very shocked!
there is nothing that i could do..., BTW
I live in sumatra island, over here, the same thing is happening as well.
Basically you can eat all kind of seafood, just name it!
what do you want? giant clam? manthis shirmp? grill shark? grill napoleon??
you can get it here in INDONESIA!!!
I believe within 10-20 years, most of the "famous dive spot" in Indonesia will disappear! Indonesia goverment doesnt give a **** about coral reef.
They only care about MONEYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

on last last trip to bunaken (des 29 2006 - jan 2 2007)
i went diving at
Lekuan 1, lekuan 2, Tanjung Kopi, Depan Kampung, and Muka gereja ( all of this dive spot is located at Bunaken)
I saw so many Plastic bag all over this " famous bunaken"
green, black, whiteeee, So colorfullllllllllllllll, so niceeeeeeeee
In my honest opinion, bunaken is a ****ty place now! compare to Bunaken 10 years ago!!
Therefore, my only advise is GO DIVE AT INDONESIA AS MANY AS YOU CAN NOW!!!
you will never see the same thing again within 10-20 years from now!

Please check the newest video at dive podcats,
they show you a local fisherman at Raja Ampat having fun killing shark, to collect the FINS!
and this fisherman has a "permit" from local goverment.
he only need to pay $30 for 1 full month killing shark at raja ampat!
How nice! hahahahha
welcome to Indonesia

Ahhhhhhhhhh' i forget to mention!
in Sumatra, they served the best GRILL TITAN TRIGGER FISH!!
it's very cheap and very tastyyyyyy!
1 big titan trigger fish, only cost around $2-$3
if you come to Lampung city ( just 45 minutes by airplace from jakarta), please let me know!
you should try it! yummyyyyyyyyy
the diving in Lampung is also not bad... close to krakatau volcano and many others nice dive spots

To sum it up, as the leggy Minnie Driver once said: When the eating stops, the killing will too.

P/S: Already stopped eating shark's fin soup for a few years now.

Back
Top Bottom