Getting OW and looking for gear recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wiggawam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As the title says I'm a new diver that lives In LA who is looking to buy some gear. From what I have discussed with my instructors and the fact I plan on diving in MN sometimes I'm looking on getting gear that I will be able to apply to deep/coldwater/technical diving (with the proper training.) I am also an avid photographer and would like to incorporate that into my diving. I don't have a set budget at the moment and I plan on keeping this gear for awhile so I would rather pay a bit more and only pay for it once over the next few years. I'm also a pretty tiny guy at 5'8" and 120 lbs. so that might need to be taken into account. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Well as controversial as this statement always seems to be when it's made, I would consider getting a backplate and wing for your base equipment and build onto it from there.

In my opinion, it is much better suited and adjustable to a variety of body types. I also think that it is a more stable platform for the technical diving that you say you want to do someday. It has a tendency to move less on your body, which makes trim and balance in the water column easier to achieve.

I also plan to dive in MN someday where we have friends, inlaws and outlaws to visit. I just want to get a drysuit before I jump into Lake Superior around Duluth, MN. :wink:

Welcome to the SoCal section of ScubaBoard! :happywave

I hope you get a chance to come out and dive with us all at one of our dive get togethers once you are certified. We have our beach dives and boat dives listed on the schedules at the top of the SoCal Trips and Local Marketplace forum.

I'm sure you'll get a lot more suggestions for gear.

Where are you getting your OW cert from?

Christian

headhunter whoda' guessed that the first post response would be for a bp/w!!! (=

Scuba-Jay:
headhunter whoda' guessed that the first post response would be for a bp/w!!! (=
Yeah, I did hesitate before posting it. But we've got to tell 'em the truth! :D

Besides, it will save him a whole lot of money if he goes this way from the get go.

Christian

headhunter:
Yeah, I did hesitate before posting it. But we've got to tell 'em the truth! :D

Besides, it will save him a whole lot of money if he goes this way from the get go.

Christian

I'm just bustin' on ya!! I haven't been around here long enough to be involved much in this debate. From what I understand tho OP, bp/w's are well recommended for tech diving, so Christian seems like he's leading you in the right direction....

Jay

I don't know much about the BP/w, But Christian did tell me at the late wrinkles dive that his plate is 6 lbs negative....That certainly peaks my interest..:14:

I just added a 6 lb. lead plate to the STA on my Halcyon BP/W so I've got 12 lb. total which is nice for single tank diving in a dry suit. Get a DUI TLS-350. Halcyon BP/W and a 21 wt canister light.

MN diving sounds like it would rock.

Jim

headhunter:
Well as controversial as this statement always seems to be when it's made, I would consider getting a backplate and wing for your base equipment and build onto it from there.

In my opinion, it is much better suited and adjustable to a variety of body types. I also think that it is a more stable platform for the technical diving that you say you want to do someday. It has a tendency to move less on your body, which makes trim and balance in the water column easier to achieve.

I also plan to dive in MN someday where we have friends, inlaws and outlaws to visit. I just want to get a drysuit before I jump into Lake Superior around Duluth, MN. :wink:

Welcome to the SoCal section of ScubaBoard! :happywave

I hope you get a chance to come out and dive with us all at one of our dive get togethers once you are certified. We have our beach dives and boat dives listed on the schedules at the top of the SoCal Trips and Local Marketplace forum.

I'm sure you'll get a lot more suggestions for gear.

Where are you getting your OW cert from?

Christian

I'm definitely interested in the BP/W, actually I have really no interest in a jacket due to the fact I am, well super scrawny and have troubles getting trim and neutral. I am really interested on going on the night dives wed at veteran's and am glad I found this place to have some dive buddies. I'm getting my cert from Dive N' Surf in Redondo, been really happy with them so far.

I'm sure I'll get heat for this but I really like my Zeagle setup. They probably make the best Tech BC's out there. Everything is modular, just like a back plate/wing combo. Most people that I know that have BP/W setups swear by them, same with the Zeagle gear. If you're diving wet I highly recommend the XCEL Quad Polar with the integrated hood, super comfortable, durable, really warm, and zippers across the chest, much easier to get in and out of. BTW Hollywood Divers has killer deals on diverite BP/W setups.

Good luck!

Billy

BC
I have been diving my Zeagle Ranger for 6 years and love it. I would recommend the crotch strap option though. I am seriously considering switching to a BP/W though. There is just something about the simplicity that I like. The Deep Sea Supply, Apeks WTX, and Dive Rite TransPlate are the three that are on the top of my list. If I go this route it will definitely have quick releases on the shoulder straps. IMO their convenience far outweighs their potential for failure. You can read more about this and the BP/W vs. “traditional” styles in the BC forum.

Regulators:
  • I really love my Atomic Aquatics Z1 (Z2 is the latest model). The Apeks ATX series is also killer. Again, the Regulator forum has numerous threads on this topic.
  • Scubapro AIR2 combo inflator/regulator. Choosing between a “traditional” octopus or combo inflator/regulator is also a heavily debated subject.
Tank:
Having a steel tank is nice out here (less weight on our belt). They are expensive compared to AL though.

Computer / Gauges / Dive Logging
§ Analog pressure gauge
§ Wrist mount Suunto Gekko. The Suunto Vytec or ScubaPro/UWATEC SmartZ would be sweet for hoseless pressure monitoring.
§ Wrist mount compass
§ ReefNet Sensus Ultra dive logger
§ Scubase dive logging software

I am very very happy with the ReefNet + Scubase integration. It makes dive logging a breeze.

Fins
I really recommend using spring straps. It makes in and out of the surf zone on beach dives that much quicker.

Good Luck!

Aaron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom