Okay, so how many of you....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dawg,
As Jeremy has mentioned Lanier does get cold. I think he posted low 40's on his last dive there a week ago and that was a surface water temp. Even in the summer you can see upper 40 temps at depth.

The wetsuit you are looking at should be fine if you are only doing single dives. I dive a 7 mm Bare suit with a 3 mm hooded vest and I do OK as long as I stay about 40-50 feet. Below this you get too much compression and will get cold.

DawgDiver:
still dive 'round these parts in a wetsuit? I have this problem, I don't want to wait for the summer to dive. Not even the spring. But my 3/2mm fullsuit and 3mm hooded vest isn't gonna cut it methinks in the month of february. And based on my last experience at DiveHaven (last august) I found that the water there once you hit that thermocline is cold even in the hot months). So I'm looking at buying a 7mm Bare Alpine full-suit w/hood to open my schedule up a bit. What I want to know though, is will this purchase be worth it? I can get the suit for $200.

Basically if any of you are diving wet, what suit are you wearing and is a 7mm gonna keep me happy?

I have dived lanier three times in my 7mm since buying it and it has kept me relatively warm. The water temps have been from the low 50s to the high 50s with the latest dive being a couple weeks ago and it was the coldest, in the low 50s. Now, the weather has been getting cooler lately and if you read JK's report from last weekend the temps are encroaching into the upper 40s. This might be a bit too cold for a wetsuit, however, everyone handles cold a bit differently.

Also remember that if you stay above 40' or so you will probably be okay. I usually hit 80' or so at Lanier and a wetsuit would compress too much to really keep you warm.

I think the 40F temps are really "freak-ish". I had 2 guages and they both were showing 40F! Usually in Feb. the temps get as cold as they are going to dip and that when it has usually been say 43f - 48f. Then it starts warming up some.

One of the best things I have really enjoyed about my drysuit is the SI. I can unzip myself out of the drysuit and stand around and talk and such and still be very warm. When I come out of my suit, I've already got on a thick cover-all and thick socks...I'm warm!

Bottom line is this, you will like the Bare wetsuit. At some point you with either decide that it's not worth diving during January and Febuary in the cold and just sit out 2 months. Or you will do like I did and just save up for a drysuit and dive year round. Your Bare will still get used from time to time so it's not money wasted.

Jeremy

Thanks alot for the comments guys, I think I'm going to go ahead and get the bare wetsuit. The way I see it I'll at least be able to get one dive in, maybe 2 with a long SI.... and the 7mm will always come in handy at the quarries year round.

You're right about the quarries year round. I dove Loc-Low-Min in July for my Rescue cert class with a 3mil and was so cold at 60' that I had to stay above the thermocline. I wished I had my 7/5 or a good 5 mil.

Jeremy

I still dive the area in a 5mm :) but then I am a nut job.

Hey just to let you know the Divers Supply in Doraville is now selling DUI drysuits and we do have some DUI rentals in stock also. Give Susan a call and get a price and I would be more than glad to set up a dry suit class if you are instreaded. Look for a DUI dog day coming soon:) :) :) Tim

Not drysuit Certified, can I still rent one?

GA Under Water:
Not drysuit Certified, can I still rent one?
We need to talk about that Sunday mor. at the Haven. I guess I have to ask would you dive in a cave without lessons?:no There are plenty of people that can teach you to dive a dry suit. Take the time to learn the correct way. You will be more comfortable and enjoy your dive more. Have fun be safe!!

John

I will second Daddy John on the drysuit course. Other than my rescue class, the drysuit class was IMO the best money I've spent on a class. Especially that first time that you get too much air in your feet then start to go inverted and your at 80'! Great to have the knowledge of how to get out of that mess and fix it, then continue your dive and be safe.
Take the class it is worth the money.

Also I don't know of anywhere you can rent a drysuit without the cert card.

Daddy John is a wise man. When he speaks, I listen!

Jeremy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom