10lb. Challenge #3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
way to go ER!!!! once i say yes i too cant stop...thats why i find weekends easier than workdays

what you gotta do is put stickers on those guys with "ENABLER" printed on it!!! :D

I have survived one day without raiding the co-workers sweet basket. Didn't take a walk to the cafeteria and the candy machine either. Got home and jogged 2+miles. Had fresh steamed green beans with olive oil, parmesan cheese and sprinkled with Jerk seasoning. Yum Yum! Just for fun, I jumped on the scale and am down two pounds from this morning.
I think my body is really craving carbs with the jogging I am doing, and that is one reason for the sweet tooth. At least it sounds good.

As far as the 10lb challenge, I started the first one cause I wanted to drop those last 10lbs. The first challenge lasted months. The second one only a couple weeks, and this one is going great. It really doesn't matter if you win or not, the fact is we are here supporting each other and and in the end we are all losers. How cool is that?

almitywife:
way to go ER!!!! once i say yes i too cant stop...thats why i find weekends easier than workdays

what you gotta do is put stickers on those guys with "ENABLER" printed on it!!! :D

LOL! I agree! I just have to stay busy... and usually, that's not a problem. :wink:

Scuba_Jenny:
Had fresh steamed green beans with olive oil, parmesan cheese and sprinkled with Jerk seasoning. Yum Yum!

mmmm that sounds really good! I'm gonna try that tomarrow. I am a veggie and I hate eating "meals" but that sounds like a great snack/meal!!

erparamedic:
... Even if I can control myself for say a "bad meal or two", I have had the "taste" again...
You hit it on the head!

I was speaking with a friend 6-8 months ago. He had never been over weight in his whole life. We were talking about a coworker who passed away the week before. The coworker was about 500 lbs. My friend wanted to know how someone could get that big without caring about it.

I asked him if he ever had a craving for anything, and he said, "no... not really". Here is how I explained it to him:

Imagine something that explodes with flavor in your mouth. It tastes so good that you just enjoy the flavor, the texture, the aroma... the act of eating it.

Now, imagine that just the act of eating it gives you pleasure. Can you imagine having this feeling with almost everything you eat?

Now, imagine you let yourself be fooled into the belief that eating is not just what you do to survive. It is a pleasure that pleases your tastes and makes you feel gloriously full and content in that you have filled your needs. You have satisfied the craving that MADE you eat the entire thing. You wouldn't want it to go to waste, would you? I mean, it gives you pleasure to taste it... so much pleasure that you finish it... every time.

I told him that is what happens to me when I eat. The flavor of so many things create the craving in me. When I smell it cooking, my mouth waters. The only reason I am not bigger than I already am is that I remind myself what eating is for.

• It's not a pleasure craving that needs to be filled at every turn.
  • It's not a craving at all... over eating is a habit... and, a bad one at that!
  • Eating, at its base, is only an act of survival.
  • If you want to indulge and enjoy, do it VERY slowly. Put the fork down... smell the aroma... close your eyes and allow it to take your senses... Pick up the fork and take 1/2 the size you want to put in your mouth... PUT THE FORK DOWN... taste it, let it please you, don't talk with it in your mouth, use your tounge to move it from one side of your mouth to the other, chew it and move it back, chew it some more, don't swallow it until it is liquid in your mouth, take a deep breath, pick up the fork only when you are ready to do this all again... no matter what you do, leave at least the last bite on the plate... do not eat it. Prove that you are in control of eating, not the other way around.
  • Eat for the weight you want to be. Find a weight calculator on the web and enter your information with the weight you want to maintain (or 10 lbs less) and use the "to maintain your weight" calorie count as your maximum calorie count
  • If you can't find time to exercise... find some way to stretch. Just the act of stretching feels better than doing nothing. You can stretch almost anywhere without looking stupid
I am not a nutritionist, or doctor, or professional in the health field. I am only listing those things that are helping me. Use what works for you... AND... be happy (It really does make a difference when you are happy)!

Tonight, I took it easy after work and celebrated 60 lbs lost... How did I celebrate... PIZZA!

I went to "Le Hut" and ordered the large Meat Lovers Pan Pizza (on sale for $10.00). I also have not had bread (as in bread, bread) in a long time. I ordered the single order of Garlic Cheese Bread.

The Cheese Bread:
It smelled soooooo good (4 slices in all)! I took the first one off the tray and put it on my plate, sprinkled 1/4 of the parmesian cheese I would normally pile on and some crushed red pepper.

I closed my eyes and smelled it... If my mouth was open, I would have drooled on myself :grin: Now, I would normally pick it up and bite off 1/2 while the other 1/2 stayed in my hand waiting for room in my mouth... Instead, I took my knife and fork and cut off 1/4 of it. I put the fork (and knife) down and picked up the piece and put it in my mouth (next, I followed the ritual I posted earlier).

I finished two slices this way, and knew I was in trouble... I was already getting full :rofl: I left two slices, because I wanted to have PIZZA!

Meat Lovers Pan Pizza:
Actually, I like the thin-n-crispy better (but, 10 bucks is 10 bucks... lol)
The "large" pizza came... I remember that I used to be able to eat 1/2 of the entire pie. This time, I didn't know if I would be able to finish one slice. It looked HUGE! (But, I digress [look, ma... I used a seven letter word!]).

I took a slice and followed "the ritual". I finished off all of the topping, and most of the crust... Then, I asked for a togo box.

I have the equivalent of 7 meals leftover in the fridge... lol
----
In all... I am stuffed, and content! (and, no... I will not tell you how many calories there were in what I ate... you go look it up!)
---

I will let you know... I didn't see the "Fit n' Delicious" pizzas until after I ate dinner. Next time I will be having the "12 inch Diced Chicken, Mushrooms & Jalapeno"... mmmmmm PIZZA!

good advise cooltech!!

and yes, even the meat lovers :11: pizza is sounding good to me right now.

I dont think I could ever give up bread though. I eat it with every meal, about a half a loaf a day, give or take.

Anyways, I had a sore throat and felt sick today, so I just took a nice little 10 mile/30 minute cruise on the excercise bike and read the new issue of Dive Training. I gotta start reading more when I excerbike. ( I think my lazyness at typing just invented a new word) The 30 minutes today went faster then the first 10 minutes yesterday!!

I think sometimes it is hard for "skinny" people to understand, some people are skinny by virtue of the gene lottery, others really have to work at it.

I myself, must admit, I tend to be a bit compulsive in general, probably the reason I don't drink, or smoke, or gamble. However eating is my problem, I am a compulsive eater, I can't just eat a few. If I buy a bag of Twisted Cheese Puffs for example I can't just eat a few, it is the entire bag, or cheese, I can't eat just one slice, it's the entire package. Most of the time I am not hungry it is a compulsion thing. I can't eat just one or two slices of Pizza, if it is there I will eat it. Fortunately for me I only eat Cheese Pizza (or if it has chicken or hamburger on it), but beyond that I won't touch it. I am lucky most people like all kinds of stuff on their pizza so I won't eat it.

I find if it is not there in the first place I am usually okay, but if I get a craving I wind up buying it. It is a terrible thing, some of you know where I am coming from, however there are people who just don't understand.

dhampton82:
mmmm that sounds really good! I'm gonna try that tomarrow. I am a veggie and I hate eating "meals" but that sounds like a great snack/meal!!
I found that most veggies steamed with olive oil, parmesan cheese (get the good stuff, or fresh!) is very good. I added the jerk seasoning, and it brought the yumminess to a new level!

I normally do the basic heat the veggies up and then use salt and pepper or some other spice to liven it up. I don't put oil on it so as to limit my calorie intake, but if I was to do that then my choice is always extra virgin olive oil, that's great stuff.

My problem as described by CoolTech all to well is things taste too good and I have only so much control to go around. My biggest failing is sweets, and within that range there are some things that I'll eat until I can't eat any more because it just tastes good.

I honestly can't see how anybody would be able to say they don't have some food they really enjoy more than anything else and crave that. I mean, when you eat out what do you order? Do you always go for something different or basically the same food every time?

I love my homemade Hungarian Goulash and will overeat it if not careful, but it's not that bad of a meal if you get rid of most of the fat in it. It's a basic simple recipe that's easy to make, although it does take 3 hours cooking and goes well with most things. You can if you wish top brown rice with it, or noodles, or eat it plain.

I love spices, and lots of them. For me things like General TSO's Chicken and mushroom chicken are great but I can't stop at just one. My favorite is probably bourbon chicken and garlic bread with lots of butter.

I crave those, I get hungry thinking of them, my mouth waters. I believe every person out there has a similar reaction to their favorite food and to deny they have a favorite would be strange. I don't know one person who doesn't have a preference.

There's a saying, some people eat to live, others live to eat. I am more of the latter than the former and as I get older and slow down it shows.

I remember as a kid, probably 8 years old or so, Mom would make this cake that had peanut butter icing on it. I loved it, but Mom would only allow us so much desert. I was taught at an early age how to cook and when Mom went to work I'd make that frosting by itself and eat it. Peanut Butter didn't last long around the house.

So I've lived with a horrible craving for sweets all my life, and only recently has it started adding up. Now I must reign it in or I could end up the 500lb guy who passes before his time.

Food can be an addiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom