filling off road tires with scuba tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Codyjp

Contributor
Reaction score
does anybody here do this? how many tires can you fill off of a tank? Also, of course, what volume tank to you have/tire sizes? I also saw these carbon fiber tanks today at the dive shop that were there from some type of non diving comercial aplication, they would be really light to carry along for a 4x4 trip.

Yup, that is pretty off subject for a dive forum...

Well, I've never tried to empty a tank and see how many tires I can fill. I've got 33' BFG's on my toyota and have no problems topping off the tires or filling up a tire that went flat overnight from a slow leak.

I've got 80 cf and pst 130's, both work fine.

Since the adapter to fill off your lp hose is only a few dollars I'd say the best way to find out would be to empty your tire completely and then fill it again ... good information to know if you'll be depending upon it in a tight spot. See how many PSI you use to fill and then divide into 3000 (or whatever your tank is rated at) it should give you a pretty good idea of how many tires you'll be able to fill.

Aloha, Tim

Use an AL13 to fill up my inflatable boat. 12.5ft Bombard. I can get the volume up to normal shape with an LP electric pump. But to get the tubes up to a full 3.5psi I now use the AL13. I have a PVC adapter which I plug into an LP hose off an argon reg on the tank. I control the rate with the tank valve (just crack it on and off). Works great. I get about 1.5 fills off the AL13. I use that since its easy to toss into back of the truck. A tank of "leftovers" would work, but it would be alot heavier and take up more space than needed.

I've got BFG 33X11.50's on my Jeep. This is really interesting! Especially if I rigged up a way to strap my tanks down tight. :) Hrmmmm...... pondering, pondering...

img0668.jpg

I did some experimenting with this previously- I used 2 cubic feet per tire - 225/45 17. I was filling from an LP14. The required tank size will depend on your tire size, if you are filling from empty or just topping off, and your desired tire pressure.

Codyjp:
does anybody here do this? how many tires can you fill off of a tank? Also, of course, what volume tank to you have/tire sizes? I also saw these carbon fiber tanks today at the dive shop that were there from some type of non diving comercial aplication, they would be really light to carry along for a 4x4 trip.

Yup, that is pretty off subject for a dive forum...

If your tanks are full of air what else would you do with them besides fill tires?:wink:

Tobin

:D Hey, I have a jeep wrangler and the way i built my air setup was to build a bracket and make my own onboard air compressor that runs off the engine. The great thing about this is that I could get upwards of 20cfm off this setup. I am selling mine if there is anyone out there looking for a great setup for running tools or having a never ending amount of air!

My friend was roofing a house, and wanted to borrow my 5 gallon air compressor to run his nailer, except there wasn't any power at this location (new house), so I found a 1/4"NPT to SCUBA quick connect, an extra shop air regulator I had in the garage, and an industrial quick connect, rigged it up, set it to 90, gave him my double 108's (it was all I had), and they worked all day with 2 nailers and barely made a dent in the tank pressure. I saw a CO2 setup, specifically for 4x4's, that had a regulator built in and a flex hose with a Industrial quick connect. You could fill tires, run air tools, it was a pretty cool setup. An old steel 72 bolted in the back, an old reg, and some 1/4"NPT to SCUBA quick connects could make a similar deal, except with the advantage (for me at least) that air is easier to get than CO2. I'd love to hear if anyone tries it out.

My son wanted a rig like that to run air tools, top off tires, etc when he was offroading. I made one out of an old Conshelf reg first stage and a 7/16" to 1/4" NPT adapter. If you attempt this, make sure you add a pressure relief valve on the first stage incase it fails. Not sure if an impact gun or a tire chuck has a downstream design.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom