Argon Drysuit Inflation question / help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob_B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm looking to add an argon bottle for drysuit inflation.. I do a lot of cave diving but don't really want to go with a 13cf tank... So.. I am planing to go with the 6cf..

What is the best mount for the 6cf tank that meets the DIR standard?
What type OPV should I get and from where?

I have also read that welding grade Argon is a No-No.. Where would I get / rent a big bottle of Argon so I can transfill mu own tank?

Any other insight is welcome...

Bob if you get the small argon reg that bob posted, make sure the valve for your argon bottle is 200-bar DIN--the reg won't fit in a 300-bar DIN valve.

Take a ~10-12" piece of 2" webbing (any color :wink: ) Wrap it around the 6cf bottle and burn a hole in the ends - snug with the bottle. A soldering iron works well. Put a bolt through the webbing and attach it to the 2nd hole up on your plate, use a nylock nut, probably will need washers. Take a peice of 1/4" bungie and loop it through the lowest hole.

Slide bottle through webbing and double loop the bungie around the valve.
Attach reg
Go diving!

It can't fall out, but can be cut away, and this attachment system costs less than $5. Works just as good as the fancy $80 straps with the H on them.

rjack321:
Take a ~10-12" piece of 2" webbing (any color :wink: ) Wrap it around the 6cf bottle and burn a hole in the ends - snug with the bottle. A soldering iron works well. Put a bolt through the webbing and attach it to the 2nd hole up on your plate, use a nylock nut, probably will need washers. Take a peice of 1/4" bungie and loop it through the lowest hole.

Slide bottle through webbing and double loop the bungie around the valve.
Attach reg
Go diving!

It can't fall out, but can be cut away, and this attachment system costs less than $5. Works just as good as the fancy $80 straps with the H on them.

Like this.

Cool... Thanks for the info guys...

I'm wondering how much difference we will notice using Argon in 48dg water as compared to the 32% Ean we are using now. Some say none, others say it makes a huge difference...

What are you cold water divers using for thermal protection? What layers are you using under your drysuit?

Bob_B:
I'm wondering how much difference we will notice using Argon in 48dg water as compared to the 32% Ean we are using now. Some say none, others say it makes a huge difference...

I vote little to none. 48 degrees really isn't particularly cold. You *might* notice a difference with argon when the water gets down below 40, but a good undergarment will do you better than argon, I would bet.

What are you cold water divers using for thermal protection? What layers are you using under your drysuit?

I use a Santi BZ400 undergarment. In super cold water, I add a fleece vest. I also often wear a 3mm ice hood underneath my 7mm hood, which really helps.

If you're not breathing helium, then you're unlikely to recognize any benefit at all.

(There are those who would say that even if you ARE breathing helium, the effect is likely to only be placebo...)

The research is inconclusive:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12067149&dopt=Abstract

(there are a number of threads in SB archives citing other research if you care to do a search)

Bottom line is that if you are not using trimix, argon is a lot more of a PITA (and expense) than you may want to deal with.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom