BC for women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khough3

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to hear from some ladies. I am about to purchase a BC and want to know pros and cons. I am looking at the New Hera from Oceanic...

Best advice I can give you: If it fits well, is the style you like (back inflate, vest style, or BP/W), and is good quality....BUY IT. And just because you're female, it doesn't have to be a BC designed for a female...try on everything, then decide what you like best.

Brand doesn't matter, neither does any recommendation anyone has. For instance, a lot of women own and love SeaQuest Diva BC's. It's probably the most popular BC for women out there. Because of that, I bought one even though it didn't really fit perfectly. After less than 20 dives I sold it on ebay and bought myself a Zeagle Zena. I could easily be president of the Zena fan club since it is the perfect BC for me, but there are plenty of women out there who don't like it for one reason or another.

Bottom line, find what works for you and go for it. It doesn't matter if it's a jacket style, a back-inflate, or even a BP/W....whatever it is, enjoy it and go dive! :D

DiveMaven gives you the best advice, buy what fits and is comfortable. I was talked into a Oceanic Thermelle by other women divers. After a few dives I hated it. I was lucky, the LDS took it back in trade for a new BC. I like a back inflate BC myself...hate the squeeze I would get with the jacket type. I have had it a few years and love it. Its all personal preferance.

I too will voice in on the don't buy a womens bc just because you are a woman. I was talked into a womens bc and have used it and done okay with it, but I ended up getting a sherwood avid instead and am currently transitioning to a backplate. I hated the women's bc because it was just so much. It had too many pockets and not enough d-rings and was bulky and excessive. I like the simplicity of the avid and the backplate.

Buy something that fits you well and that you are comfortable with. Try on some men's jackets as well and see how they fit.

I have been selling Oxycheq adjustable harness with a 18lb lift Razor wing mounted on a no name made in Taiwan SS backplate to my female students. Its like a magic trick in front of my eyes how well they "get" the bouyancy thing.

I bought a BP/W setup after some convincing. I will NEVER go back. Be sure to get one small enough so that your comfortable. You can adjust them just how you want them and make them fit you perfectly. You can add as many "gadgets" as you want or keep it simple. Try it. You'll love it.

Back
Top Bottom