Abalone opener dive and barbeque

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not that I am recommending it, but how many people go scuba diving, in places like Bonaire, for two tanks in the morning, then snorkel in the afternoon? Not sure about the rest of you, but my snorkeling is not a whole lot different than ab diving. I have not gone snorkeling after diving though while on vacation, as there is usually other things to do topside. Just something to think about.

Interesting discussion, and I will keep following along. We rarely dive deep when shore diving here, and I have gone and quickly grabbed a couple of abs on the way home from scuba diving, in 15-20 feet of water. Not sure if the 6 freedives I made could hurt me or not? Honestly I would worry more about my ears.

I am no expert on this topic, but I would like to throw in my two cents. If one has ongassed so much that free diving might cause complications, that free diver is retarded for getting back in the water. I would not worry about the addition of nitrogen to the blood system while breath hold diving, ALTHOUGH, keep in mind physical exertion greatly increases the possibility of the bends after a tank dive.

No, I'll wait till KnightRocks can make it. :rofl3:

Mark

renpirate:
<SNIP>

So Mark, will you be joining us for the ab opener?

...uhhh so yeah an abalone opening day dive and BBQ. I do have the right thread right? Anyway this sounds like a really good time. I believe I may make this event and finally meet some of the guys on this board. Forgive my ignorance but is Fisk Mill home to some hubcaps? I am such a creature of habit that I typically ab dive the same "hole" knowing that 9'' are readily available for the taking.

Hey Wisertime,

We would be happy to have you join us. Fisk Mill was chosen as the best spot to get together and BBQ. I know of several spots that are close, which are actually better for getting the big abs. If you want more information check out the planning thread on our board in my signature line.

Poor poor little abalone :(

I've pulled a few 9's out of fisk mill. The best thing to do is take a 9" guage and pre measure them before you pull them. A 9 looks pretty damn big underwater, you'd swear it was a 10.
A 10 has to look mammoth underwater, I wouldn't know, I've never found one.

ZKY:
I've pulled a few 9's out of fisk mill. The best thing to do is take a 9" guage and pre measure them before you pull them. A 9 looks pretty damn big underwater, you'd swear it was a 10.
A 10 has to look mammoth underwater, I wouldn't know, I've never found one.
Yeah I typically won't touch an ab unless I know I am ready to take it home. I do use a 9" gauge as well. I have only pulled one 10 in my lifetime and I about swallowed my snorkle when I saw it. Very nice shell. I wouldn't mind having it mounted. I think there is a guy in Fort Bragg who does that.

questions for the "all-knowing types"...........

looking at maybe trying the ab opener on the 1st........ was thinking of freediving
for abs in the morning, then 2-3 hour break, then maybe 1, possibly 2 tank dives in
later afternoon. here's my DFG-related question: DFG officer stops you while loading SCUBA gear into truck in evening.. notices cooler.... asks: are you ab-hunting-?
answer: yes. while freediving............................... now, does officer have grounds
to yank your equipment (noticing scuba equipment in vehicle while in possesion of
abs-?????????

--Sherpa

Since I'm an "all knowing type". There are no laws against having SCUBA equipment in your vehicle with abalone.

Of course, you should read the regulations yourself so you have a good idea:

29.15. Abalone.​

(a)​
Geographical Area: Abalone may only be taken north of a line drawn due west magnetic from

the center of the mouth of San Francisco Bay. No abalone may be taken, landed, or possessed​

if landed south of this line.​

(b)
Open Season and Hours: Abalone may be taken only during the months of April, May, June,

August, September, October and November from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour

after sunset.

(c)​

Bag Limit and Yearly Trip Limit: Three red abalone, Haliotis rufescens, may be taken per

day. No more than three abalone may be possessed at any time. No other species of abalone
may be taken or possessed. Each person taking abalone shall stop detaching abalone when the
limit of three is reached. No person shall take more than 24 abalone during a calendar year.​

(d)​
Minimum Abalone Size: All red abalone must be seven inches or greater measured along the

longest shell diameter. All legal-sized abalone detached must be retained. No undersize abalone

may be brought ashore or aboard any boat, placed in any type of receiver, kept on the person,​

or retained in any person’s possession or under his control. Undersize abalone must be replaced

immediately to the same surface of the rock from which detached. Abalone brought ashore shall
be in such a condition that the size can be determined.
(e)​

Special Gear Provisions: The use of SCUBA gear or surface-supplied air to take abalone is

prohibited. Abalone may not be taken or possessed aboard any boat, vessel, or floating device

in the water containing SCUBA or surface-supplied air. Abalone may be taken only by hand or

by devices commonly known as abalone irons. Abalone irons must be less than 36 inches long,

straight or with a curve having a radius of not less than 18 inches, and must not be less than​

3/4 inch wide nor less than 1/16 inch thick. All edges must be rounded and free of sharp edges.​

Knives, screwdrivers and sharp instruments are prohibited.​

(f)​
Measuring Device: Every person while taking abalone shall carry a fixed-caliper measuring

gauge capable of accurately measuring seven inches. The measuring device shall have fixed
opposing arms of sufficient length to measure the abalone by placing the gauge over the shell.​

(g)​
Abalone Possession and Transportation: Abalones must not be removed from their shell,

except when being prepared for immediate consumption.​

(h)​
Abalone Permit Report Card. All persons required to possess a sport fishing license must

have a non-transferable Abalone Permit Report Card (FG 2915) issued by the department while
taking abalone. The Abalone Permit Report Card shall be kept with the fishing license while taking
or attempting to take abalone. Persons diving from a boat shall keep the license and Abalone
Permit Report Card in the boat. The Abalone Permit Report Card shall be completed as required
immediately upon returning and boarding the boat with abalone. Persons diving from the shore
shall keep the license and Abalone Permit Report Card within 500 yards on the shore. Persons
shall, immediately upon bringing ashore an abalone, make a hole and completely remove the
punched section from the report card in one of the designated locations for each abalone taken,
and record with indelible ink, the date, time, and location code in the spaces provided adjacent to
the hole. For the purposes of this section a boat is defined as any watercraft used or capable of
being used as a means of transportation on water (reference Section 9840(a), Vehicle Code and
Section 6552(q), Title 14, California Code of Regulations). An Abalone Permit Report Card shall​

be valid during the open season for taking abalone in the calendar year for which it was issued.​

No person may be issued or possess more than one Abalone Permit Report Card or any Abalone

Permit Report Card other than their own. The Abalone Permit Report Card must be returned to
the Department of Fish and Game at 19160 South Harbor Drive, Fort Bragg, California 95437​

-

5798, within 30 days of the close of the abalone season.
(i) Upon purchase of the Abalone Permit Report Card, the card number shall be entered by the
license agent in ink on the back of the angler’s sport fishing license. The sport fishing license​
number shall be entered

Back
Top Bottom