LCD or Torus wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_sirhc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Tobin,
What is the difference between LCD and Torus wing other than the Torus is a newer model? Are their performance comparable?

scuba_sirhc:
Hi Tobin,
What is the difference between LCD and Torus wing other than the Torus is a newer model? Are their performance comparable?

The Torus wings are full circle,and the LCD wings are horseshoe style. If you have Torus wing of appropriate size and shape, and compare it to a LCD wing of appropriate size and shape there will be very little difference in venting, drag etc. Donut wings are nice, but they do not result in instant perfection in your diving.

That's the simple part.

First you need to determine the lift your application requires. Then it's worth taking a look at potential trim issues.

We now build wings that either offer more lift near the divers shoulders, or at the divers hips.

If I know a bit more about your height, weight, exposure suit, tanks etc. I can usually make an educated guess as to which style is appropriate.

Tobin

Tobin,

I was just getting ready to post the exact same question. I would appreciate your recommendation.

Height: 6'0"
Weight: 190lbs
Exposure Suit: Typically a Drysuit, but 7mm wetsuit as well
Tanks: Steel HP80. Thinking about a steel HP100, but maybe a steel HP120, LP95 or LP108.
Current BC: Zeagle Ranger
Typical Dive: So Cal beach diving

Thanks,

abrown203:
Tobin,

I was just getting ready to post the exact same question. I would appreciate your recommendation.

Height: 6'0"
Weight: 190lbs
Exposure Suit: Typically a Drysuit, but 7mm wetsuit as well
Tanks: Steel HP80. Thinking about a steel HP100, but maybe a steel HP120, LP95 or LP108.
Current BC: Zeagle Ranger
Typical Dive: So Cal beach diving

Thanks,

AAron,

I'm happy to make a recommendation, but you need to be more specific.

The range of tanks you *might* use is huge. A LP 108 is -8 (full) and a HP120 is -16 (full). If you wan the smallest practical wing you need to narrow your choices.

With your heaviest exposure suit and current tank (HP80?), how much additional ballast do you use? This information will allow me to estimate the initial buoyancy of your suit.

Thanks,

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
The range of tanks you *might* use is huge. A LP 108 is -8 (full) and a HP120 is -16 (full). If you wan the smallest practical wing you need to narrow your choices.

With your heaviest exposure suit and current tank (HP80?), how much additional ballast do you use? This information will allow me to estimate the initial buoyancy of your suit.
I understand. I very much appreciate your attention to detail.

Let's stick with the HP80. When I beach dive dry I use 24lbs in my Zeagle Ranger and 3lbs on the ankles (1.5lbs/each ankle) for a total of 27 lbs. I see a HP100 in my future though.

Just so you know my personality a little better... I am just a regular Joe looking to transition from a traditional BC to the simplicity and stability of a BP/W. I am not looking for the perfect BC for a fixed configuration. I do not tweak my rig setup for absolute least possible drag or loose sleep worrying about having the perfect trim. It has never really bothered me that my Ranger has much more lift (44lbs) than I have ever needed. It is actually a little bit of security. I understand that when you go to a BP/W setup you are required to make more choices. I also admit that a lot of this thinking may be out of ignorance, and I am always open to education.

Thanks for your advice,

abrown203:
I understand. I very much appreciate your attention to detail.

Let's stick with the HP80. When I beach dive dry I use 24lbs in my Zeagle Ranger and 3lbs on the ankles (1.5lbs/each ankle) for a total of 27 lbs. I see a HP100 in my future though.

Just so you know my personality a little better... I am just a regular Joe looking to transition from a traditional BC to the simplicity and stability of a BP/W. I am not looking for the perfect BC for a fixed configuration. I do not tweak my rig setup for absolute least possible drag or loose sleep worrying about having the perfect trim. It has never really bothered me that my Ranger has much more lift (44lbs) than I have ever needed. It is actually a little bit of security. I understand that when you go to a BP/W setup you are required to make more choices. I also admit that a lot of this thinking may be out of ignorance, and I am always open to education.

Aaron,

If I understand your current configuration you have about 36 lbs of total ballast, 27 lbs of lead, a tank that's -7 empty, (faber hp 80?) and maybe 2 lbs of regulators.

That's quite a bit of ballast. Even if we assume a couple lbs to overcome a buoyant BC, that leaves ~34 lbs to sink your wetsuit.

I'll do an example here based on those numbers, but you might want to verify your suit alone is +~34.

If you use a SS plate and harness, with 8 lb weight plates, a Faber HP 80 and regulator your rig will be max negative with a full cylinder by ~29 lbs.

You are going to need another ~5 lbs of additional ballast (29+5=34) I'll assume that's in a belt.

Your suit can loose no more than 34 lbs of buoyancy if you go deep enough to fully compress it. That means you need ~34lb so of wing to offset the buoyancy loss of your suit.

Your rig is 29, 29<34, so minimum wing size is 34 lbs. A Torus 35 is a good match.

If it turns out your suit is less than 34 lbs positive, then you may be able to use a smaller wing.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
That's quite a bit of ballast. Even if we assume a couple lbs to overcome a buoyant BC, that leaves ~34 lbs to sink your wetsuit.

Your suit can loose no more than 34 lbs of buoyancy if you go deep enough to fully compress it. That means you need ~34lb so of wing to offset the buoyancy loss of your suit.
A few of your word choices make me wonder if you are thinking wetsuit. The numbers I gave you were for my drysuit. Just checking.

cool_hardware52:
I'll do an example here based on those numbers, but you might want to verify your suit alone is +~34.
I'll do that. I have been wanting to get around to this for for a while.

Thanks,

abrown203:
A few of your word choices make me wonder if you are thinking wetsuit. The numbers I gave you were for my drysuit. Just checking.

Your right, I was thinking Drysuit, thanks. #34 is still high for a Drysuit.

Tobin

Hi Tobin,
Im now ready to get a DSS single rig.Im looking for something light for travel.Im 1.75m tall and weigh 65kg.I usually dive with a dive skin in seawaters. Do you recommend hog harness or the pro-fit harness?Oh and how do I go about ordering??

scuba_sirhc:
Hi Tobin,
Im now ready to get a DSS single rig.Im looking for something light for travel.Im 1.75m tall and weigh 65kg.I usually dive with a dive skin in seawaters. Do you recommend hog harness or the pro-fit harness?Oh and how do I go about ordering??

Sirhc,

Unless you have compelling reason to use and adjustable harness, like an injury, I recommend the single piece harness.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom