Barracuda Hotel Shore Dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PARADISE HUNTER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm staying at the Barracuda Hotel in March and thought about doing a couple of shore dives in front of the hotel. Has anyone tried this recently? How is the boat traffic? Anything interesting to see? Strong or tricky currents? Any info is much appreciated.
Thanks.

Currents are variable.

Definitely boat traffic to watch out for, make sure you have a surface marker that is clear and easy for the boats to see.

I haven't dove it since Wilma, but it actually used to be a nice little shore dive. They do have nice easy access into the water as well.

Wife and I snorkled there last November. Dunno if I'd bother with full scuba, however. There's a "SNUBA" operation to the immediate south that splashes in cruisers from time to time, so you'll find some fun?, artificial things on the bottom placed there for their benefit. Otherwise, it's what you'll typically see on the 15' sand bottom along the west-side ironshore - sargeants, small skates, occasional barracuda, etc. Enough to make it interesting, but nothing amazing. Current wasn't bad. Just head into it and don't wander too far out. And yes, there IS boat traffic --be aware of the dock location at all times.

If you're staying at the barracuda and diving with dive paradise, its nice to grab a tank in the afternoon and go down and take some pictures of critters. It's a rubble reef made up of construction debris and odds and ends. I wouldn't bother schlepping my gear to it, if I was staying somewhere else. It's an easy night dive.

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the pics Scubasherry.

Anyone know what pic 64 is from Scubasherry? The spots look to big and white to be an eel, maybe a sea snake.

PARADISE HUNTER:
Anyone know what pic 64 is from Scubasherry? The spots look to big and white to be an eel, maybe a sea snake.
Sharptailed Eel... there are no sea snakes in the Carribean.

First time I saw one I thought it was a sea snake too. :wink:

A sharptailed eel? Very cool. The spots look perfectly round and it has a very little dorsal fin. I did a search on the board for more pics of them and I found yours MJ (the only one). Nice pic. The eel you shot was white with small yellow spots. Is that the norm? Scubasherry's looked like it had large white spots and I couldn't tell what the background color.

I hope it is a resident of that rubble reef. I am going to take a look for it. Should be a fun way to burn off lunch. Thanks for the info.

PARADISE HUNTER:
A sharptailed eel? Very cool. The spots look perfectly round and it has a very little dorsal fin. I did a search on the board for more pics of them and I found yours MJ (the only one). Nice pic. The eel you shot was white with small yellow spots. Is that the norm? Scubasherry's looked like it had large white spots and I couldn't tell what the background color.

I hope it is a resident of that rubble reef. I am going to take a look for it. Should be a fun way to burn off lunch. Thanks for the info.

Thanks... Um, as far as the norm, I'm not sure. Yellow spots on the head and big white ones on the body? :confused:

The cool thing about them is they are completely oblivious to you, you can go right up to them and they couldn't care less. I think they come out a bit more at night but they are around a lot during the day too. Good luck!

Like stated before, it's an eel......ist time we saw one off Roatan(on a nite dive), the group got a little worried......later we found out what it was & 'felt better'......good pics btw....Reminds me, in '89 we walked thru the Barracuda & made a nite dive from there- stayed along the shore.........found a pretty big green eel under a piece of plywood- reason I remember, it was under the wood & when we moved it aside, it scared the eel & shot straight up along side my buddies leg all the way to 'his' area...If he would not have been wearing a speedo type bathing suit, it could have gotten 'inside' & let's say done a little damage...I laughed thru my reg. as ascending to the surface...My buddy was not too amused..lol......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom