I need gear Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dschulte:
It goes on a bit further but the sentiment is the same from ScubaPro and many others. Internet retailers will help you to a point, and many do partner with actual brick and motor stores (Amazon.com does this), but this is done under the radar. Best case you get stuck with shipping your item to the brick and motor site for annual service (your cost both ways), worst case you have no warranty and get ripped for the annual. I have always been able to work with local stores and get almost the same deal after you add the shipping and ability to hold what you are purchasing and have that relationship.
:monkeydan

IMO warranties are VERY over-rated. I'd LOVE to purchase a relationship. Unfortunately what you are purchasing is a false promise in MOST cases. The company can go under, discontinue the product, or any number of other things that is a joke, and coved in the small print that as the consumer you agree to when you purchase an item.

In fact it IS a joke. American Warranties, and the value we place on them is a BIG joke to MANY other countries. They attribute this to lawyers, and I agree. I can count the number of times I've actually been able to USE a warranty on less than one hand. There are a few exceptions, and they tend to be BIG, Cars for example.

The value of the warranty really depends on the item. Probably the most important piece to have under warranty is the computer, as with a reg, if something goes wrong, you replace an o-ring or a little part. With a computer, no dive shop is going to crack one open and repair a LCD display or a board.

We have also had a few instances where there were recalls on equipment, and it was through the warranty card info that people were informed there was a problem with their gear. Now if you stay abreast of the manufacturers site, this site, etc, you can probably find that info anyway... but just another thought.

And finally, I'll toss in that since you are in NY, purchases there will carry your sales tax which if far greater than any shipping costs.

All food for thought - people on this board will give you a lot of good varied information - that's what it's all about.

If you have any questions feel free to give us a call if you want to talk to a human! Errr... Joe might answer.... Almost human then....:D

OK So sorry for the delay in reponding but this is what I finally settled on (and now own):

Mares Proton Metl V32 reg
Mares Rebel Octo
Atmos AI computer w/ compass & quick disconnect
Mares Dragon BC

I got great deals while shopping around and think I paid under $1400 in all (including a Safety sausage and Akona rigid reg bag).

thanks again for all your advice.

I would do a lot of research before you make a decision. There is some great advise on these forums. I would try to decide where you might be in regards to diving in a few years from now. Purchase the right gear from the beginning so you will not need to make too many changes later.

I would look at Oxycheq and Deep See Supply for your BCD. I love my backplate and wing combo. If I could go back in time I would have started with this setup from the beginning. Do some research on BP/wings and see if it might be something you are interested in. I love the simplicity.

For the rest I would look at Scubatoys and LiesurePro. You can get great deals at both. Scubatoys will give you 10% off for being a member of the Scubaboard.

For a computer I think Suunto or Diverite are great choices. I love my Vyper wrist mount. www.divetank.com is authorized Suunto and has great prices.

For Regulators I like Scuba Pro and Apeks. Both well made and can be serviced internationally.
Same with Octo...

For Gauges I would choose something well made of brass and glass. I like my OMS but there are many good brands.

Mask I would get something with low volume and black silicone.

Fins I would try a few pairs out and see what works best for you.

I don’t like package deals so much because I think it is better to pick and choose, although this could be more costly than a package.
Hope this helps. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.
Cheers!

scubatoys:
The value of the warranty really depends on the item. Probably the most important piece to have under warranty is the computer, as with a reg, if something goes wrong, you replace an o-ring or a little part. With a computer, no dive shop is going to crack one open and repair a LCD display or a board.

We have also had a few instances where there were recalls on equipment, and it was through the warranty card info that people were informed there was a problem with their gear. Now if you stay abreast of the manufacturers site, this site, etc, you can probably find that info anyway... but just another thought.

And finally, I'll toss in that since you are in NY, purchases there will carry your sales tax which if far greater than any shipping costs.

All food for thought - people on this board will give you a lot of good varied information - that's what it's all about.

If you have any questions feel free to give us a call if you want to talk to a human! Errr... Joe might answer.... Almost human then....:D

These guys are great to deal with. I have purchased several accessories from the, always a good price and very quick shipping.
:monkeydan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom