Key Largo - Any recent experience with...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Staying at Kelly's on the Bay and/or diving with Aquanuts? Staying at Coconut Palm Inn or Bay Breeze? Diving with Tavernier Dive Center?

We're thinking about going over July 4th. I've never been to the Keys. Any other suggestions? I don't want a real budget motel but we also don't want to spend a fortune. Looking for something nice, relaxing and preferably with a dive shop on site or within a 5 min drive.

Thanks!

Aquanuts is right next to Amy Slate's, where I have stayed several times. They have GREAT boats. v fast and pretty nice too. It is a ~25 minute ride through the cut out to the dive sites on Amy Slate's boats, and less than 15 on Aquanut's. We borrowed one once when Amoray Divers got too crowded. They have the boat name on the hull so you can see it from the bottom. I love that. I can't comment on the accomodations, though.

if you want a big boat, I can't help you.

If you want a boat limited to 10 with a very experienced crew, and personalized service, I highly recommend http://www.diverscityusa.com

As far as a place to stay.... I've found that renting a condo is the best deal. Ocean Pointe Suites has one and two br's for around 100/night. Moon Bay is rented directly through owners, and I've found 700.00/wk.

Ocean point is about 7 minutes from the above dive op.

Horizon Divers got an excellent rating in Rodale's Scuba Diving annual report of "bests". I dove with them last week. They are friendly and helpful Things seem to be well run. When I was there they had about 10 divers on the boat and they advertise that they don't fill the boat.

It really depends on what you want and your experience level. We went on down to Key West and dove with Peter at Bonsai diving. That was a great experience because of the extra attention that you get from a small boat.

The Best Western suite set up is great, but may be more than you are looking for in terms of expense.

SueMermaid once bubbled...
Aquanuts is right next to Amy Slate's, where I have stayed several times. They have GREAT boats. v fast and pretty nice too. [It is a ~25 minute ride through the cut out to the dive sites on Amy Slate's boats, and less than 15 on Aquanut's.] We borrowed one once when Amoray Divers got too crowded. They have the boat name on the hull so you can see it from the bottom. I love that. I can't comment on the accomodations, though.
I think you're estimate of travel times is a little quick. Both operations are on the Bay side which means they have to go through the creeks to get to the Ocean and then to the sites. I think the times are more like about 40-50 minutes. The rides through the creeks are sometimes interesting but both operations will load their boats and usually have pretty strict dive times. It's simply a matter of running numbers. If you loved it just say it but if someone wants an honest evaluation just stick with the facts Mam. Dive Safe.

Sorry. I was just trying to relate in relative terms.
Can you find it in your heart to forgive me? :sorry:

"Any recent experience with...
Diving with Tavernier Dive Center?"

In 12 days I'll be leaving for the Keys. There is a group of us going. We will be diving with Tavernier Dive Center, and staying at the Keys Motel. The Motel is 150 yards from the dive shop. Our Favoite Dive Shop (in Buffalo NY) uses Tavernier Dive Center a Lot. I've heard nothing but good things about them. The Motel has rooms and apartments.

Some of us will be completing our open water requirements for new certifications, There will also be a lot of dives for fun!! Like all the wrecks I've heard so much about. The Duane, The Bibb, The Eagle, and the Spiegel Grove!! :):)

I can give you more info when I get back.

I haven't dived with Tavenier Dive Center in years. Not since John Riddick owned the shop. However, Diverscity is a very good operation and Ocean Pointe Suites are very nice.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them all out.

I personally don't mind if the boats are big or small. I just want good diving with a good shop and a nice place to stay. Not budget but not he Ritz. However, one person in our group can't do small boats for more then a 10 min trip, and since my buddy goes through air quicker then I do, that pretty much sets my dive time. A larger op will probably be better for us this time.

Tavi - Please post a report or PM me with the details when you get back. I'd like to hear about the dive op, the diving, the hotel and any fun spots (restaurant, night spots etc) you find as well. Have a great trip!

I had GREAT results with HORIZON DIVERS...same rates as everyone else and nice, super clean boat and friendly, fun staff.

Good luck and have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom