Zeagle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miked

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everybody!
Just prior to my recent trip to Cozumel (returned 8/18-great trip-21 dives), I purchased a Zeagle "Concept 2" BC. It is similar to the Ranger, but with fewer tech related accessories.
I had been planning to get a new BC this winter, but a problem with the old one surfaced two days before leaving. As such I had only a brief "pool session" to get the feel of the Zeagle-which I liked. The real acclimation time occurred during the trip.
I loved the way it performed, but I have 3 questions for any experienced Zeagle (and other back bouyancy) vets.

First, whenever I stopped finning I would slowly come to a vertical position-not ascend or decend, but rather "rotate" from horizontal to vertical, then settle into a very comfortable vertical "hover" configuration (especially nice in Coz's currents).
The questions: is this normal for this type BC; is there a way to "correct" it -although it doesn't feel "wrong" ; is there any problem with leaving things "as is"? [ It did require a bit more effort to maintain a "head down/feet up" position for looking under overhangs near the bottom ,etc.]

Second, the air cell seems more difficult to empty u/w than my old jacket style BC. Holding the inflate/deflate mechanism higher seems to help. Any other tips?

Third : I usually wear between 12-16 lbs weight depending on the exposure suit (warm water diver that I am).In Coz I wore all 12 in the"ditchable" pockets. The BC has non-ditchable"trim weight" pockets near the tank. I'm thinking of putting 4 lbs. there, the rest in the main pockets. Any suggestions/ input from experience as to the effects of doing that?

Thanks,
Miked

Extremely tough to say without seeing your rig, but it sounds like your BC was positioned too high on your tank.

I have been diving back inflation BC's of one form or another my entire diving life. I love 'em. I have learned how to balance my trim however.
One of the tricks I use is to put an ankle weight around the neck of my tank before I put he reg on the tank. That moves a little bit of the weight up towards the top of the unit.
I would move a portion of your weight to the pocket on the back. That should help as well.
As for dumping air, it is a bit of a learning curve. Does the Concept come with a lower pull dump? If so, you might experiment with using that while you are horizontal. Otherwise, just keep working with the regular dump valve. Mine (Ranger) has a pull dump that is very easy to use.
Good luck with the BC.

The best way to get air out of the Zeagle BCs, and just about any other back-inflated BC for that matter, is to tilt your right side slightly down when in a vertical postion. This will put your left shoulder and the dump valve at a higher postion than the rest of the BC. Likewise, if you're headed down, use the rear/bottom dump. When horizontal, I use either or, just depends on which one pops to mind first. It sounds more difficult than it is, you'll get use to it rather quickly.

WH and I both dive the Zeagle Rangers and what he describes works for me for dumping air. About the only thing that I would add is that if you want to dump just a little bit of air to get your trim right, you can pull down on the inflator hose to open the valve located where the hose enters the bladder. But you need to be in a heads up position for this to work.

As far as as your rotating to a heads up position while stopped, I agree with the statement that either you have the BC up too high on your back, or your weight placement is wrong. Try adjusting the position and moving the weights around some. You can move the trim pocket to the upper tank band and put part of your weight there to counter the upward pitch.

Hmmmm,

That would seem to be the opposite problem most folks new to a back inflate bc would have. The usual complaint is that the BC tends to push face down at the surface (vertical to horizontal).

I agree with dsquid that you may have the bc too high on the tank. As for the weight distribution, I use 8lbs int he rear trim pockets, no ditchable. So far I have only dove in warm freshwater, that will obviously be adjusted when I need to wear neoprene or dive in saltwater.

As to the air dump, just remember if your head up use the deflator, if you're head down butt up use the pull dumpvalve in the rear. It gets easier fairly quick.

Thanks to all for your input.
Dsquid, Divernyd, Warhammer, TexasMike, BetterLate:

I see what you mean about "too high on the tank". When I attached the BC to the tank, I had positioned the tank bands out of habit-but now, when I look from behind the tank, I see that there is a definite difference in where the bouyancy is placed (jacket vs. back bouy.) The lower position makes sense. I'll try it out on my next dive. (unfortunately, probably not until April!)

I do use the lower pull dump when horizontal, and when vertical pull the inflator hose for smaller corrections, or use what WH described . Thanks for the reinforcement!
(I guess that is "A" Warhammer manuever, but not THE manuever!)

I plan on shifting some weight to the rear pockets, and may raise those pockets to the top band.

In getting used to any new piece of equipment, it helps to have the voices of experience so readily available and willing to share their knowledge. Again , many thanks for the help,
Miked

I've used a concept for the last 4 years and concur with everything 'the guys' have to say. Since it was mentioned, I'd like to add that while on the surface don't over-inflate your BC. This will definitely push you forward. You'll have to experiemnt to get your comfort level but for me, it doesn't take much to keep air me comfortable on the surface. Just lean back, like you're in a recliner, and enjoy the ride.

I haven't noticed any of the vertical tilt underwater. It sounds like maybe your bladder has some air in it. I dump all the air out of mine and it works fine, although I've only done shallow dives in warm water with it(no wetsuit). I guess if your diving deeper, you might have to add a little air to compensate for loss of bouyancy from your wetsuit compressing. I really like my Ranger. It's almost like I'm diving without a BC. I have to thank TexasMike and Warhammer. I did a lot of reading up on all different kinds of BC's but, TM and WH are the ones who really answered my questions and sold me on the thing. My wife says her Zena is extremely comfortable, and after looking at it up close you can really see why. It's really light and that detachable front is soft and makes it seem like it wouldn't be any less comfortable than just a one piece swimsuit(not that I've tried on women's swimsuits or anything :) ). Oh, and like Dee says, When your on the surface, just lean all the way back so your laying on your tank and it's almost like your lying on one of those inflatable floatee mats. You gotta dig that! :)

Dee and Zagnut: Thanks for the input - and I agree with your comments re: surface floating. In fact, on the very first dive with the Concept, I said to the other divers,"it feels like the recliner at home". Great, relaxing , restful way to wait for the boat.
thanks again,
Miked

Back
Top Bottom