Tubes tied question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's perfectly legal, and understandable if you think about the expensive consequences of a malpractice suit brought because somebody can't have any more kids, and claims that the doctor "should have known" that they would change their mind.

I had a hysterectomy at age 21, and I had a full day of psych evals before they would do it. I didn't enjoy it, but I understood.

justleesa:
I remember a friend of mine (living in Europe) wanted to get her tubes tied when she was 26 or so. She knew that she never wanted to have children. The doctor wouldn't do it. Said they won't do it until she is 35+...reason being she might want to change her mind
I don't think this is such a bad thing. I swore up and down that I never wanted any kids when I was in my early 20's. By the time I was in my late 20's, I changed my mind.
TSandM:
I had a hysterectomy at age 21, and I had a full day of psych evals before they would do it. I didn't enjoy it, but I understood.
I'm assuming this wasn't voluntary and I'm not being nosy and asking your medical history. But I think think this is a good thing, especially if it wasn't voluntary.

I remember being diagnosed with a cyst on my ovary when I was in my late 20's and being really upset thinking I could never have kids.

As for the OP, this whole thing of needing a husband's permission...don't get me started.

It was one of several options for treating the problem, and was the one I wanted. I didn't want kids, anyway, and in fact have never regretted the decision. But I didn't blame the surgeon for not being at all sure I knew what I was doing, and wanting to protect himself.

Going back to the question of whether this is "legal" -- Remember that nobody has a "right" to an elective operation. I can set up any hoops I want to have my patients jump through before I'll operate on them. I can even refuse to do it if they can't pay me . . . So long as it's not an emergency, I can do pretty much what I want. If I want their husband and their father-in-law to sign permission slips, I can do that, too. The patient always has the option of looking for a surgeon with fewer conditions to meet.

I had my tubes tied last year. The doctor did not even question me. I have 2 children, a boy and a girl. There are no other kind. I have heard other women tell me they have had to jump through hoops to get this done. Age was a factor for other women. Asking the husband:confused: I think that is going overboard! It is not his body! Just my .02

Bobbin-along:
... malpractice cases ...
And therein lies your answer. If you want to be ticked at someone, be ticked at the system that allows a person to sue someone else for their own decision, not at the guy who insists that you have thoroughly considered the consequences and are sure of that decision.
Rick

My sister had her tubal scheduled for the day of the birth of her second child. She already had a girl. Her second baby came out as a girl and the doctor told her that he wouldn't do the tubal because "she would be back for a boy." How ignorant!

When I had mine. My gyno asked me if I was 110% sure. I said yes. and that was it.

Personally, I think our society has become way too litigous. People need to be held responsible for their own actions. Just my $.02. :wink:

Wow...I am shocked that people are still doing tubal ligations for birth control. I personally believe it is an obsolete option because of the disruption of the bloodflow to the ovaries...I am no gyn, but word on the street (okay, the health freaks) is that it's an early road to menopause.

I though the evidence was that even though the ovaries were left, many times they don't function optimally after ligations. Shudder.

It would be a last resort for me.

Since men are biologically more predisposed to "roaming" , I would say protect the financial futures of your (their) children and send them for the snip.
Why work on the less probable side of the equation?

Also, men can bank semen much easier and open the options for a "changed mind". $150 a year, in fact. Share the burden, women!

A friend of mine got the big snip at 21. He went through three doctors to do so, because the first two wouldn't do it because of his age.

scubamanbo:
Would a guy need to get the same permission for the snip-snip???

I had a guy I knew who had his stomach stapled he had to go through psych counseling before they would operate on him. . . didn't do him any good though. . . he got the op and became addicted to cocaine instead of food. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom