Deep water/deco diving courses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! You guys are great. Thanks so far for all the advice I've gotten. This opens my eyes quite a bit and at least I have some kind of idea as to what to expect. Not sure I will go "all the way" but I do want to test the waters to see if this is something in my future. I think I will take each step very slowly. I do think taking a rescue course would be a good idea.

A NAUI Intro to Tech or GUE Fundementals class might also be a good idea.

Neither is deeper than ~30ft. But will give you an understanding of necessary skills and abilities needed.

Colliam 7, That was one of the best posts I have seen on the board! Thank you!

Colliam 7 thank you for posting your experiences. I have to agree with you regarding technical diving training, technique and certification...there is so much more to this level of diving and it requires practice, practice, practice.

Yes, I have been diving for 13 years and I am a DM, and I was also humbled by my entry into technical diving. Having all the right equipment and set up is half the battle.

I too have had similar experiences just mastering trim with doubles in a wet suit...not to mention having difficulty task loading with stage / deco bottles. I practiced almost every other weekend at the local quarries just getting my trim set and techniques down. This level of diving always requires practice.

I have yet to purchase a dry suit and I have been pushing it off for some time...even though I did go through the course and certification.

Is there a minimum size for the double tanks when going into deco diving or is it the more the better.

Aslo, what is an "OE" course?

Thanks

Here in PNW drysuit land hp100s or lp85s filled to 3000psi are commonly used for beginning deco divers (130-160ft range, 20-30 mins bottom time).

Bigger is definately harder on your body. Getting the biggest tanks you can is kinda like trying to learn how to fly using a 747, not ideal. Smaller tanks are better in small, tippy boats and for moderate shore entries, as well. If you really get into deco diving they will just be one set in a fleet of doubles you'll use with different bottom mixes and for different purposes.

If you really get into deco diving they will just be one set in a fleet of doubles you'll use with different bottom mixes and for different purposes.

Thanks, and that scares me and reminds me of the thread "The slippery slope of diving"

Here in PNW drysuit land hp100s or lp85s filled to 3000psi are commonly used for beginning deco divers (130-160ft range, 20-30 mins bottom time).

I have never dove anything bigger than lp85s for dives to 300+ft. Just don't breath so much :D

Is there a minimum size for the double tanks when going into deco diving or is it the more the better.

Aslo, what is an "OE" course?

Thanks

You need to find a set of doubles that you can comfortably handle.....so bigger is not always better!

OE= Overhead Environment Course

Bigger is definately harder on your body. Getting the biggest tanks you can is kinda like trying to learn how to fly using a 747, not ideal. Smaller tanks are better in small, tippy boats and for moderate shore entries, as well. If you really get into deco diving they will just be one set in a fleet of doubles you'll use with different bottom mixes and for different purposes.

I dive lp85's with tech fills well beyond your suggested range. :wink:

I also don't think someone into deco diving ness. has to have a fleet of doubles to meet various sites/profiles conditions....proper planning goes a long way in this...I persl. use lp85s for all staged deco dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom