Diving in Namibia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apollo

Reaction score
# of dives
Has anyone gone diving in Namibia?

How is the diving in Walvis Bay?

Are there any other places in Namibia that you consider worth diving?

Name/web address of dive centers, dive sites and any details would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I do not know of any recreational diving off the coast of Namibia. The coastline is very rough, as is the sea.
The only diving in Namibia I am aware of is in Lake Otjikoto.

"Otjikoto is situated close to the mining town of Tsumeb. Part of an underground river system, the lake was exposed when the roof of what was a large dolomite cave fell in. The lake is small with a diameter of about 102m, but very deep, with a depth estimated to be in excess of 142m in places.

During the first world war the Union of South Africa, still part of the British Empire, was ordered to invade German South West Africa. The German troops were heavily out-numbered by the Union forces, but managed to hold out for nearly a year before finally being forced to surrender. The final hostilities took place in the vicinity of Otjikoto and, rather than surrender their weapons and artillery to the enemy everything, including the heavy guns and ammunition wagons, was dumped into the lake. Many of these relics have since been recovered, but not all."

Ditto SA-Diver.

There is an undrewater club either in Windhoek or Walvis Bay - I will try to get contact details for you, maybe they can help.

All I could get - try contacting theo [at] schoemans.com.na

Theo is or was chairman of the Namibian Underwater Union

Windhoek Underwater Club - wucnamibia [at] gmail.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom