Blue Hole/Perch Info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajoh44

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I haven't been to BH in a while. I was waiting to take a class there untill it warmed up a little and we could go to Perch a little more comfortable. Anyone know what the temp in Perch is now? What's going on with BH? I saw some of you might be there on the 18th. I might see you there. Thanks for the info!

Perch Lake is probably still a bit chilly. I would say 50-60 degrees.

Supposedly Santa Rosa is going out to bid in March on the construction of the new dive shop. Construction is supposed to start in May, which means that they will be tearing down the dive center since the foot print of the new shop overlaps the old shop. We'll see if that actually happens or not. The crawdads are coming back with a vengance since they were pretty much wiped out from the dredging early last summer. :)

What class are you taking?

It will be easy to spot me. I'll be the one getting abused in the water. Good thing it will all be on film. :D

scubajoh44:
I haven't been to BH in a while. I was waiting to take a class there untill it warmed up a little and we could go to Perch a little more comfortable. Anyone know what the temp in Perch is now? What's going on with BH? I saw some of you might be there on the 18th. I might see you there. Thanks for the info!

Perch lake is likely colder than even 50F. When we dove it in Nov (I think it was Nov! :D ) it was in the low 40'sF I'd have to check my dive log, but if memory serves our computers read from 42F~44F as they never all agree.

It may also still have ice on it, but to that I can not speak.

The monthly crew will be at BH, and Dan and I are planning on going as well.

I think there is a GUE F class at the hole that weekend.

RonFrank:

Yes, myself and one other person are in that class. I'm sure you guys will get your laughs out of watching us get tortured during the class. :D

Well, I had heard about a new building there but nothing deffinatel. I hope they get someone in there as helpful as Stella. I really like Perch, but it sounds a bit chilly still (at least for an OW class). I think I'll stick to Balmorhea for the OW class, but still may see you guys up there. I may take my son to BH. He has never been. Thanks for he info.

Looking at my logs, Last year in March at the plane it was 52 degrees and at the car it was 45 degrees. Still pretty chilly. Have fun in Balmorhea. I'm hoping to make a trip there sometime this year. I haven't been since last July. :(

RonFrank:
Perch lake is likely colder than even 50F. When we dove it in Nov (I think it was Nov! :D ) it was in the low 40'sF I'd have to check my dive log, but if memory serves our computers read from 42F~44F as they never all agree.

It may also still have ice on it, but to that I can not speak.

The monthly crew will be at BH, and Dan and I are planning on going as well.

Dude! We were there Dec 18th!

I dove it last April and the surface temps were around 60. Thermocline at about 40 feet dropped the temps to 42, which is the same as the deep temps we got in December.

Ron, I have to teach on the 17th and 18th of March, and the next weekend too. It looks like either this coming weekend or early April for BH.

I hope all you NM and CO RMOs have fun!

Where is the nearest dive store? Is it in Alburquerque? I know there is a place to get fills at BH, but I was wondering how far it is to the nearest place that offers training etc.
We were thinking of Perch lake as a possible place to try and do dry suit training, we aren't having much luck sorting anything out in WY/ CO.

Cheers :)

amascuba:
Yes, myself and one other person are in that class. I'm sure you guys will get your laughs out of watching us get tortured during the class. :D

Hey, glad to hear someone else signed up! do you know who it is?

noobascooba:
Where is the nearest dive store? Is it in Alburquerque? I know there is a place to get fills at BH, but I was wondering how far it is to the nearest place that offers training etc.
We were thinking of Perch lake as a possible place to try and do dry suit training, we aren't having much luck sorting anything out in WY/ CO.

Cheers :)

Closest place that offers training.. I believe that is Albuquerque. Maybe Amascuba would know if there is a place in TX that is alittle closer.
As far as the diving location, you can use Perch Lake or Blue Hole, some if it will depnd on your instructor.
Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom