Moray Eel Bites Off Diver's Thumb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidPT40:
However, if I lost my thumb to a moray, I definately would not have a toe grafted on in place! Its scary looking.
Having a toe thumb is scary looking, but having an amputated stump isn't? Thanks, but I'll take an ugly opposable digit over an ugly lack of an opposable digit any day!

DavidPT40:
If there was a reason not to feed eels, I would say the only reason would be for the eels sake. We (as divers) should well be aware of the risks. Diving itself is inherently risky. However, feeding eels, a dangerous animal, conditions them to associate divers with food. So the first time some unsuspecting divers swims by the eel, its going to pursue them, and they may end up killing the eel. That actual scenario has happened several times in the caribbean.

How about not upsetting the ecosystem as a reason for not feeding any animals, rather than it being a danger to divers? Do you think for one minute that bits of pig scraped off the abatoir floor would be a normal diet for the moray?? Mad cow disease started as cow's are herbivores and farmers were feeding them with a meal that was meat based. Now mad cow disease has been passed on to humans in the form of CJD. So if people are feeding aquatic animals with something that is not in their normal diet we may end up with mad fish disease, and we if we eat those fish will go maaaaaaad too.

Divingdon:
How about not upsetting the ecosystem as a reason for not feeding any animals, rather than it being a danger to divers? Do you think for one minute that bits of pig scraped off the abatoir floor would be a normal diet for the moray?? Mad cow disease started as cow's are herbivores and farmers were feeding them with a meal that was meat based. Now mad cow disease has been passed on to humans in the form of CJD. So if people are feeding aquatic animals with something that is not in their normal diet we may end up with mad fish disease, and we if we eat those fish will go maaaaaaad too.

You've gotten what I said backwards. I was trying to say that feeding eels could be harmful for the eel itself. Also, I was trying to make the point that as long as a diver knows the risk, its up to him whether or not he should take it.

As for myself, I don't mind taking some risks. Others do.

Mad fish disease? I would say thats about as plausible as hotdogs being nutritious for eels.

DavidPT40:
Since we are all weighing in on this, I'm going to add my opinion. Feeding animals is risky, but its fun. However, if I lost my thumb to a moray, I definately would not have a toe grafted on in place! Its scary looking.

If there was a reason not to feed eels, I would say the only reason would be for the eels sake. We (as divers) should well be aware of the risks. Diving itself is inherently risky. However, feeding eels, a dangerous animal, conditions them to associate divers with food. So the first time some unsuspecting divers swims by the eel, its going to pursue them, and they may end up killing the eel. That actual scenario has happened several times in the caribbean.
I think that is why a lot of campgrounds have a "DO NOT FEED THE BEARS" policy. Except the bear usually wins and ends up being the bad guy.

sam miller:
I some how question the referenced attack..
The attack happened for sure. It's on a site called "East of Eden" and this moray is one of the site highlights......he's huge. I've got photos of him somewhere - I've dove that site 3 times now. Last year he had a friend moved in to his coral clump with him. It's only about half the size but it frigtened the life out of me as I didn't know he was there. I was taking a picture of the big one when suddenly the smaller one appeared right next to my mask. :D
The guy who lost his thumb was a DM on one of the liveaboards I believe. They stopped feeding it after this incident.

Back
Top Bottom