Went diving sat. night and sunday,here's the report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bear Hunter

Reaction score
Went to an uncles vacation house down by Boca saturday am to do a few dives this weekend

After fixing a few things that were broke on his boat, and getting our tanks filled it was pretty late (7pm) so we decided to run out light house point and do a night dive!

The dive was on a reef that was between 50 and 60 feet of water for 44 minutes.

Getting in the water and decending is always the scariest part for me. There you are drifting down to what seems like a bottomless hole.....After what seemed like 10 minutes I could finanly see the sand channels and the reef!

The visability was probably 20 to 30 feet. When I finaly got to with in 10 feet of the reef I saw my first lobster of the night(oh yea I forgot to tell you all if its lobster season I dont dive with out my tickle stick and my noose)the male lobster is sitting in side a huge barrel sponge. I easily got the noose under his tail and caught him, then I measured him to make sure he was a legal size, then deposited him in my lobster bag!

This was my first night dive in 3 years...I forgot how beautiful the diving is at night. All the fish sleeping on the reef, was just amazing to me.

After about 15 minutes I see another lobster, motavating it out of its hole and catching it I noticed it was a female with eggis I relesed her back under the ledge she was hiding in!

Swiming another 100 yards I see my first snake eel.....seeing that eel made the whole night dive worth it. The eel was about 4 feet long,white with perfect black circles on it. I got to with in 10 feet of it, the snake was very courious of our lights. After watching it for a few minutes we were down to 1000lbs of air so my dive buddy went up the dive line that I was carrying. When she was up on the boat she tugged on it so I knew that she was on the boat and that its my turn to come up....kind of a wierd system we have but it works out nicly when the ocean is ruff.

The next day my wife and I dove together on two dives.

Dive one 70 to 90 feet for 40 minutes
say sting rays,crabs,huge angle fish,caught 5 lobster let 2 go that were females.One huge tire pile,one boat wreck,and one pile of junk:( man I hate all the crap that is on those reefs!

Dive two 30 to 40 feet for 50 minutes. On this dive we say one death wish lobster that shot out of the hole that she was in stright towards me. I caught her with my hand like someone threw a baseball at me....more out of reaction than thought:D I could hear my wife laughing at me!! then after all that I had to let her go because she had eggs on her tail.
saw a sea turtle sitting on the bottom, tried to play with it but it wouldnt let us get closer that 20 feet!
I showed my wife her first shark...a 4 foot nurse shark was under a coral ledge resting, by the look in her eyes I could tell that she was ready to surface and get out of the water.
Saw a spotted moray eel.
That was about it!

I have access to a 28 foot boat that holds 12 tanks and four divers and a boat captian nicely. It can hold up to 6 divers but it gets pretty tight quarters with all that gear and people!

If anyone would like to go diving with us we would like the company, we have moved to flordia 7 months ago and dont have any scuba friends!

Walter we need to get together on a date for us to go on!

Jason Lee
leeyohe322@cs.com

ps I know I dont type the best....but I figured you all can make some since of this mess:D

Sounds like great diving down there. Thanks for the review and if I am ever in Fl I will take you up on that offer. I live in upstate NY and just for certified so I am happy right now getting as many dives I can in fresh water before braving the sea.

Brad

It sounds like a fun time was had by all Jason.

I also want to thank you for the open invitation. There is a good chance I will be in that area over the Xmas holidays. I might just take you up on your offer.

Originally posted by NINman
I live in upstate NY and just for certified so I am happy right now getting as many dives I can in fresh water before braving the sea.

Where abouts in NY? Anywhere near Chataguay Lake?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom