It was the best of buys, it was the worst of buys . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of my best buys was my all-black ScubaPro Fino mask from Leisurepro: $30
Best fitting mask I've had.

Worst buy? Hmm....that's a hard one. Probably my most recent purchase of a particular drysuit undergarment. While it's very warm, it's too thick around my calves and my drysuit won't come onto my legs without a fight, and then when I get it on, they hurt. :11: It's being returned tomorrow.

Best Equipment Buys: Apeks XTX-200 w/ XTX-50 and full warranty under $500, new DSS rig w/ Pro-Fit Harness for $400 sold the harness and replaced with DIY Hog, so it actually cost even less. Purely in terms of savings, nothing can top camera and flash housing for about $100 combined new on Ebay, retail cost $600!

Best Buy overall: NAUI Master Diver course for free (uni pays).

NO worst buys at all. Reason? Started frequenting Scubaboard before i even got OW-certified. The only thing i've changed thus far is the mask because i found a better fit.

my brother-in-law owed me some money so he offers his complete set of scuba gear. the only thing that was any good was the weight belt and weights. no more deals or trades, cash only.

Great thread.
Although I haven't been doing this long enough to have many regretable purchases I do have some oddball stuff I've picked up buying package deals on craigslist:
A whole box full of old 80's Zeagle BCs-one in blue, one in yellow and one in hot-pink (I just can't seem to make myself get rid of them though). An old ALung/Calypso wrist worn depth gauge (pretty cool in a Sea Hunt kinda way). Lots of abalone stuff, and I don't do abalone. I also got a pair of SP Jets in the same box with the Zeagle BCs, The whole box was $10.

My Worst Buys: A veeeeery big Cetacea retractor-In a pinch, I think I could winch a jeep out of the mud with it.
A Sherwood snorkle the size of a goats' leg, gauranteed not to allow water in (that's because you will be too ashamed to actually take it diving).

My Best Buys: 2 steel Nitrox tanks for $10 (one each 30 & 40 cft). I did have to have them hydro'd and vis'd but that only added another $60 total. They may turn into my most expensive tank purchase though as I am now going to take the Nitrox course so I can get them filled.
I also did pretty well buying a bunch of gear from a LDS owner that had closed his shop and was liquidating. Picked up my NIB Vytek for $200. And a bunch of other stuff for about half what I could get it for on line.

Oh yeah, and those Scuba Pro MK II first stages that scubatots was selling, that was a good one, glad I got in on that!

Best Buys: Salvo HID 10w used once bought for 500 with a charger... shipping was thrown in.. and used vytec with transmitter bought for 400 came with original box extra batteries. Both bought here on SB

Best buys:

Apeks regs
TLS suit
SS UV-18 scooter
HID light and torpedo's
special double butt D-ring

worst buy.... (hahahahaha)

Buddy Tek Wing
retractor
massive 'kiiling' knife with leg straps (had to buy these seperately)
padi wheel

I hang my head to the side and look sheepish

NWGratefulDiver:
LOL ... I've got one of those too ... sitting in my box-of-stuff-I'll-never-use-again ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I guess that should be on my list as well..... my brother inherited that one...:eyebrow:

Ill get in on this also..

Best of buys:
Apeks XTX-200 regulator - works perfect every time..

Worst of buys:
Scubapro Mk20-G250 - Freeflowed in cold water everytime.. Local dive shop refused to do anything about it so I bought it for $550 and sold it for $300..

Best: Brand new O'Neill compressed 3mm drysuit + thin thermals + hood + gloves + boots = $399 from eBay.

Worst: Avoided so far thanks to threads like these and scubaboard.com

Best buy .... Trilam HD Tech drysuit I got on clearance from Scuba Toys with free CT200 and free trek boots. Awesome suit at an amazing price!

Worst buy ... paying full price from a local shop for my Turtle fins and XS Scuba spring straps. I love the fins and straps, but man were they expensive. I could have saved a good bit online, but I needed them for my first drysuit dives two days later, so it was worth it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom