Ultimate Divers Challenge – California Style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ultimate Divers Challenge – California Style

Challenge 1: Show up at one of the hundreds shore dive sites or charter one of the numerous dive boats.
Challenge 2: Dive once, twice or three times in a single day.
Challenge 3: Have a nice dinner with other dive friends the same evening.
Challenge 4: Continue to dive as often as required to swim with a Giant Sea Bass and the Leatherback Turtle.
Challenge 5: Take a prize winning photo of a Spanish Shawl.
Challenge 6: Dive enough to have the skills necessary to avoid laughter and looking like a dork.
Challenge 7: Dive San Diego’s Wreck Alley, LaJolla and the Nados, Laguna, CDM, Catalina and Farnsworth Bank, OML and PV, Anacappa and Monterey… (this list could go on forever..)
Challenge 8: Know what cerveza means.
Challenge 9: After all this, take a nice dive vacation to Hawaii, return, wash, rinse and repeat the above challenges.

The winner(s) will not receive any trophy except maybe a photograph or two and will no doubt meet many wonderful people along the way.
Entry fees: None
Restrictions: None
Certifications: Must be a diver.
Mandatory requirement, chill and have fun!

Dave

Dave, you forgot climbing up a PV trail wearing a 7mil wet suit/drysuit with undies and 50 lbs of gear...in August...

Still, I'm not doing too bad...pretty much scored on most, with the following exceptions:

#4 One of two.
#5 No prize, but a FedEx nudie pic is one of my personal best.
#7 Working on the list (arent we all!)

Don't vibe my flow, man.**

**® 2007 Mo2v8

You left out the north coast. What are we supposed to do?
I thought California meant from the Mexican border all the way up to the Oregon border. We don't have BSB or turtles.
Can we substitute the above with GPO's, puget sound crabs, and big red abalone?

ZKY:
I thought California meant from the Mexican border all the way up to the Oregon border. We don't have BSB or turtles.

Sure. Whatever floats your BCD.

Dave

ZKY:
Eat abalone with a good old vine zin and some amaretto cookies, repeat as required.

Thalassamania:
Eat abalone with a good old vine zin and some amaretto cookies, repeat as required.
The best abalone I ever had was cooked on the beach right after I got out of the water. I brought a cast iron skillet, some olive oil, fresh garlic, and an ab pounding hammer. I packed all this down the cliff in a back pack. When we got done diving and back to shore I cleaned an ab right on the beach and sliced it up with my dive knfe. I found a clean smooth rock and used that as a surface to pound out the steaks. Next I found some drift wood and built a small fire and surounded it with a ring of rocks to support the skillet. I sauteed some chopped up garlic to flavor up the oil. When the oil was hot we fried the abalone about 30 seconds on each side. I forgot to bring some salt so one of the other divers found a dried up pool of seawater and scraped out some sea salt, it was perfect. Another guy brought a bottle of very nice red wine that he got from a friend that owns a local winery. We forgot a cork screw so we pushed the cork into the bottle. We just sat around the fire and were grabbing pieces of abalone as they became done, burning our fingers and mouths trying to eat it.

It was a very minimalist ab feed but it tasted so good because we had to work for it, and it was the opening day of the season. I felt spoiled. Most people would never have the opportunity to have such fun.

ZKY:
It was a very minimalist ab feed but it tasted so good because we had to work for it, and it was the opening day of the season. I felt spoiled. Most people would never have the opportunity to have such fun.
Minimalist? Heaven!

ZKY...you got me to drooling! A total California moment man.

Back
Top Bottom