Fresh ammo for the bp/wings debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
I get asked all the time why I'm so crazy about my bp/wing. It was a long, hard road of discovering for myself what I liked best!

I've posted the "basics" (what every diver investing their hard-earned money in a BC should know) here for those of you who are just learning about these awesome pieces of equipment!

Enjoy! (No making fun of my sketches, now!) :D

Touche' - andother fine piece of writing SeaJay - just great. Great illustrations as well.

“Rarely is there such a hotly debated topic in the scuba community as the subject of gear choice.”

Gear choice is rarely “hotly” debated. It is usually only “hotly” debated when one person tells another they are wrong.

“it can't be argued that the most passionately debated piece of gear is the lowly buoyancy compensator.”

Of course it can be argued. I’m much more passionate about my fins than any other part of my gear. My fins always go in my carry on when I travel.

“This comes as no surprise, as the "BC" is the very heart of a diver's life support system.”

It is not. BC’s have made diving easier and somewhat safer, but properly trained divers were making safe dives long before BC’s were invented.

“diver's choice of BC can immediately identify that diver as one who dives primarily salt or freshwater, deep or shallow, and open water or wrecks and caves.”

How do you figure?

“So often, divers can quickly estimate (with some accuracy) each other's experience simply by looking at the gear that they've chosen.”

Looking at the age of the gear “might” give you an idea of the diver’s experience. Looking at the style or brand will not.

“If you were taught to dive any time in the past decade, then you probably learned to dive in a jacket-style BC.”

Did vest BC’s become popular around 1993? I think not. They’ve been popular since the early 80’s.

“they resemble a common winter jacket or life vest”

They do not resemble a winter jacket.

“most experienced divers tend to shy away from jacket-style BC's, as they are notoriously bulky and cumbersome because of their "wraparound" air bladder.”

Most experienced divers use a vest BC. Many experienced divers use other BC’s, but most do use a vest. Some vests are “bulky and cumbersome,” others are well designed and are not “bulky and cumbersome.”

“ In the worst cases, divers claim that a fully inflated jacket-style BC "squeezes" them and prevents them from taking a full breath.”

This comes from attaching the chest strap and over inflating the vest. Properly trained divers do neither.

“jacket-style BC's do not allow a diver to easily stay in this position without constantly swimming or "sculling" with the hands and feet.”

True for dead weight. Not true for a healthy person. I easily stay in any position I choose wearing any BC.

“Reduced efficiency means that the diver has to work harder to stay correctly positioned, and therefore uses up his air or gas supply much faster than he would otherwise.”

Air consumption is influenced by many factors. I’ll wear a jacket, you wear wings, we’ll make the same dive and compare air consumption.

“a diver who is constantly forced into a vertical position has the tendency to have his fins pointed downward, stirring up a soft muddy bottom and reducing visibility. In the worst cases, unskilled divers wearing jacket-style BC's can do quite a bit of damage to the surrounding marine life, especially when over a delicate coral reef.”

This is a factor of poor training, not gear choice.

“Back-inflate style BC's are a departure from the "norm" and are largely marketed as "more streamlined" or "more comfortable" because they remove the air cell from the chest of the diver.”

They are not more streamlined than vests. They are more streamlined than vests which have cummerbunds and back padding. Single bladder vests without these creature comforts are as streamlined as any other BC design.

“there is more room to put more useful gear, such as lights and cameras.”

There is no more “room” on one than the other.

“Not all divers, however, are big fans of back-inflate style BC's. These are notorious for pushing the diver "face
forward" at the surface, and therefore are not favored by many divers who spend a lot of time at the surface, such as instructors, students, or boat divers.”

Any healthy diver can rest comfortably in a supine position while on the surface in a back inflate BC.

To counteract this problem in both of these styles of BC, many of today's manufacturers are selling their BC's with "trim pockets" placed behind the diver and on either side of the tank.”

This is another example of trying to change gear to compensate for poor training.

“Divers from decades ago will remember that there was a time when a BC consisted of a simple metal plate attached to a scuba tank, which was simply strapped to the body of the diver.”

This was not a BC, it is a back plate. I still have one; it is not a BC by any definition.

“Sometimes a diver had an air cell attached, and sometimes he did not (in order to achieve simplicity, a diver would sometimes forgo a bulky air cell, which was most commonly worn on the FRONT of the diver, in a "horse collar" style).”

No. The horse collar BC was developed years later. Horse Collars work very well and are still an excellent choice.

“It is argued by those divers who are opposed to bp/wings that they will "miss" the padding of a jacket-style or back-inflate style BC.”

Padding merely adds drag.

“ While this may initially seem logical (especially if you simply try one on in a dive shop somewhere), almost always a diver dives with enough neoprene or insulation that it really is a non-issue above the water. Under the water, the lack of thick padding means that the rig feels stable and solid, and makes for a very enjoyable dive.”

I agree with the padding issue. Padding is a relatively new addition to the design of some vest BC’s. It is not part of them all. Exposure suits are not necessary to make a BC with no padding comfortable.

“A bp/wing also allows for a very easy switch between single tanks and double tanks.”

I do the same with my vest.

“Lastly, since bp/wings are of such simple and rugged design (most of them consisting primarily of a stainless steel plate), the bp/wing can outlast any other BC on the market.”

I’m still using my 1st vest BC.

Vest, horsecollar and back inflation (including wings) are all valid choices for BC's. Choose which ever style that makes you feel most comfortable.

I liked your post Walter and I agree with most, if not all, that you wrote.

I love my BP/Wing and I *personally* think its a better configuration. Having said that, I read SeaJay's article and find the distinction between the author's opinion and established statistical fact to be blurry at best.

Thanks a lot, Scoob! :)

Walter/Matt: You guys are entitled to your opinion, but I don't think it's fair for you to openly debunk my article unless you can do better. Where's YOUR article addressing the basic differences between BC styles?

Again, kudos to Walter for his reply.

Seajay, you have written a good article, but to every story there are two sides. How about putting Walters response up on your site as well?

I dive both a BP/Wing and a Zeagle Back Inflate. They both have there place and I will continue to dive the one that suits the dive.

SeaJay once bubbled...
You guys are entitled to your opinion, but I don't think it's fair for you to openly debunk my article unless you can do better. Where's YOUR article addressing the basic differences between BC styles?

SeaJay,

Don't get defensive...you publicly posted an article on the Internet and then posted a link to that article. You had to (I hope) anticipate that people were ACTUALLY going to read it and might ACTUALLY have different opinions about it.

I am not "debunking" your article. I am simply stating an opinion that things that you cite as so-called "facts" bear a striking resemblance, in my opinion, to statements of personal opinion. I believe I am entitled to state an opinion...

King Kong Matt once bubbled...

SeaJay,

Don't get defensive...you publicly posted an article on the Internet and then posted a link to that article. You had to (I hope) anticipate that people were ACTUALLY going to read it and might ACTUALLY have different opinions about it.

I am not "debunking" your article. I am simply stating an opinion that things that you cite as so-called "facts" bear a striking resemblance, in my opinion, to statements of personal opinion. I believe I am entitled to state an opinion...

Hm. Okay. I have to admit, though, that I'm a bit surprised at Walter's response... And then I'm surprised that he's supported.

.........SeaJay put lots of work into this article and it is obviously important to him. I did not post my reply to put him or his opinions down. I posted it to help him with the facts. I tossed in some of my opinions as well. He has every right to his opinion and I'll defend his right to express it.

SeaJay,

I'm not writing an article on this topic. I don't believe it is a particularly important area. As I said, "Vest, horsecollar and back inflation (including wings) are all valid choices for BC's. Choose which ever style that makes you feel most comfortable." It's not a hot topic, the diver's choice in this area really doesn't matter much.

I agree with many of your points concerning streamlining and padding. I just don't agree that is a vest vs wings issue. I'll take it farther. Padding isn't needed even if you are not wearing an exposure suit. I never use padding in my BC, yet I dive 6 months of the year with no exposure suit (about a month or less to go before I can shed it again).

Take a look at my points, evaluate them and, if you feel they are valid, rewrite portions of your article. Reject those points with which you disagree. If you disagree with it all, don't change a thing. If I were you, I'd seriously look at the historical angle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom