dry-suits who makes the best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

from my stand point and i use my dry suit for 8 months of the year and i dive for sea urchins 4 tanks a day 5 days a week. you do the math but it works out to over 400 dives a season not to mention the salmon cage cleaning i do in the summer another 300 tanks. i dive in a sea tux gator tech 7mm neoprene dry suit. above all else i recommend custom fit . wear the dive undies your going to wear under the suit when you get fitted. i always do and they fit perfect. my suit runs around 1700 and i get customs fit, sitex valves, relief zipper, padded knee pads with a rubber knee pad over that, neoprene cuffs and neck seal. they use only the heavy duty zipper and have a zipper flap over that . i find the gator tech material has supirior stretch and doesnt pinch like the rubatex material most commercial neoprene dry suits are made out of . i abuse this suit and i still get 2 years of work diving out of them. if i cared for the suit and only did recreational diving with it who knows how ling it would last. these suits are made in lantezville british columbia. when i order mine its about 3 weeks to delivery and i live in new brunswick. i was the guinea pig here to own the first suit and i wouldnt buy anything else for the quality of manufature and durability of the suits they produce. they come with a hood, and whip for that price as well. not many companies offer that much anymore. for bang for your buck its a good deal and plus its canadian. i dive in some of the coldest times of year and in fridgid waters for extended periods of time and have never been cold with these suits. i have no reason to brag them up other than they have treated me well. i see others saying custom fit isnt they way to go but with sea tux they get it right every time.

as far as suits to stay away from i have seen atlan, brooks, and whites make very shody suits in the past. seams coming apart. not something you want to pay for. abyss isnt a bad runner up to sea tux and it too is made in canada. right in nova scotia.

karstdvr:
When I get asked that question of what I think the best dry suit is,I can usually reply to about 5 different brands I've owned over the years, but I tell people for the best answer is talk to someone who does dry suit repair for a living. These people see 1000s of dry suits of all makes over time,and they start to notice repair trends and weaknesses,plus they look at a make of a suit for its strenghts. I have found their replys interesting because one of the most popular dry suits is how they make their living. I would highly recommend contacting Evie Dudas or Steve Gamble at gamblescuba.com at get their recommendations before investing a lot of money in something that could be a money pit.

So, what is their recommendation? Let's get easy on the answer if you know it already.. :wink:

I own a Bare Trilam Tech HD. IMO, its one of the best drysuit out there and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg compared to the other brands.

I've been debating over what drysuit I've wanted to get for awhile. I've been diving a DUI TLS350SE I bought used from a buddy when I started diving. It's a stock XL, and while it fits me height wise (I'm 6' 3"), it's a bit baggy around the middle (weight 180ish). I was looking at Bare, USIA, and DUI... I think after much internal debate, I'm going to eventually order a custom DUI TLS350 (the front entry model), Signature Series.

I like my Ursuit Heavy Light Rescue from Ursuk (owned by Suunto if I recall correctly). Trilam suit for about 1k$ at the LDS here in Sweden, about half of what a DUI costs. You can get a custom fit for the same price were they assemble different parts of standard size to get a better fit. It probably won't fit quite as well as a proper made to measure one but it's close and a lot cheaper. Not sure if they retail in the U.S though.

bdshort:
I've been debating over what drysuit I've wanted to get for awhile. I've been diving a DUI TLS350SE I bought used from a buddy when I started diving. It's a stock XL, and while it fits me height wise (I'm 6' 3"), it's a bit baggy around the middle (weight 180ish). I was looking at Bare, USIA, and DUI... I think after much internal debate, I'm going to eventually order a custom DUI TLS350 (the front entry model), Signature Series.
If it helps any, you can probably avoid the full custom charge (which they seem to screw up everytime, btw) and save a bunch of money by buying a DUI Select series instead of the full custom suit. Get a Large Tall. I'm also 6'3", 180ish and my Large Tall CLX450 fits me perfectly.

bdshort:
I was looking at Bare, USIA, and DUI... I think after much internal debate, I'm going to eventually order a custom DUI TLS350 (the front entry model), Signature Series.

You aren't the only one. Many divers got through the same path and same result.

DUI TLS series isn't the best for the durability, but it has many pros features, such as a Zip seal, light, quick dry, customer service, etc......

However, I still want to hear what a dry suit expert recommends...

Cant beat viking, its what alot of Navy and Commercial guys wear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom