Diving Oahu 11:15am then taking a flight to Kauai the next morning.. will I be okay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randolphscott:
I'd go by jimbo's advice.

But why don't you look at a boat transfer?

What's the deal with that inter-island ferry? Still not going??

What about changing the dates so you can dive on Kauai?? Take your mrs on a discovery dive at Na Pali.

The date going to Kauai is set in stone. I have hired a local custom vacations company to take us on a fun filled romantic day for my proposal :)

Im trying to switch dates to dive to the 27th now to dive. The inter island ferry is not running yet.

As for taking my GF scuba diving, I don;t think that is something that would work out. She has expressed interest, but shes afraid of the waves at the beach.... That and I don;t think I like the discover type classes. I would much rather someone go through proper training and be prepared.

Yep I hear you. I think my wife really wants to dive just to be around me (that's kind of weird!), but I keep advising her that she shouldn't do it if she isn't really into it. Too easy to panic and drown.

As I said before, I think you'd probably be fine flying so soon after your dives, but the risk is there, and I wouldn't take the risk.

If you're not comfortable flying that soon after the 2nd dive, one option, of course is to just do the 1st dive, then maybe snorkel (conditions permitting) on the 2nd. I've had customers do that now & then in the past.

Just out of curiosity, why is it never mentioned that aircraft cabins are pressurized when discussing diving and flying? Wouldn't flying after diving be unsafe only in an aircraft depressurization? As a certified aircraft mech, I can tell you, aircraft depressurization during flight is EXTREAMLY rare.

However, the case discussed in this thread, I wouldn’t fly, high probability that the aircraft will not reach an altitude high enough to require pressurization.

Killjoy:
Just out of curiosity, why is it never mentioned that aircraft cabins are pressurized when discussing diving and flying? Wouldn't flying after diving be unsafe only in an aircraft depressurization? As a certified aircraft mech, I can tell you, aircraft depressurization during flight is EXTREAMLY rare.

However, the case discussed in this thread, I wouldn’t fly, high probability that the aircraft will not reach an altitude high enough to require pressurization.
My understanding (from DAN/PADI publications) is that despite cabin pressurization, you're still going to "altitude".

Note halemano's post about anything over 2000' feet being considered altitude -- as I understand it, commercial airliners pressurize to ~4000'.

Furthermore, the cruising altitude of the inter-island carriers is still greater than that -- I think go! reported theirs as 15,000 or higher when the pilot came on in December when I flew with them.

As for taking my GF scuba diving, I don;t think that is something that would work out. She has expressed interest, but shes afraid of the waves at the beach.... That and I don;t think I like the discover type classes. I would much rather someone go through proper training and be prepared.

The bottom line is that there is a first time for everything/everyone.

Depending on the Hawaii operation, I'd feel more comfortable taking a loved one on a Discover Scuba Diving class in Hawaii, than having them do their Open Water class on the mainland. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of boat-based DSD's, but the reality is the waves should be pretty minimal for them to consider taking an intro diver on any given day.

Oh, and, the waves we walk through here to go diving are tiny compared to the ones people walk through in California to go diving... :D

Killjoy:

halemano:
air dives followed by flights at cabin altitudes of 2,000 to 8,000 feet (610 to 2,438 meters)[/I]

Normal cruising altitude (max altitude) of most major interisland carriers is 30-35,000ft. go! brags about it's planes 41,000ft celing. Aloha Airlines web site claims cabin pressures of 8,000ft, covering all their planes, not just interisland. I often get corporate/charter pilots diving with me and one recently swore up and down that our interisland flights probably only get 2,000ft cabin altitude. Nearly any way you look at it, DAN guidelines apply to most of our comercial interisland flights as much as they apply to most any comercial flights.

Hello everyone. I talked to the dive operation and they believe I should be fine. It will be almost 20 hours between dive and flight. I believe everything will be okay too.

because the morning dives were deep dives and I didnt quite want to do such a deep dive since I have not dived/doven? in a year or so.

Back
Top Bottom