Dont like diving w/ Sig others?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing is Becky and I have only done 2 dives together since we got OW certified last year. We both have a lot to learn and to become comfortable diving with each other. I do notice that I have a tendancy to swim faster then she does. With me being 6'1 and she being around 5'5 my legs are a lot longer. The post that someone said that him and his wife swim side by side would make a lot of sense for us. This way you can also adjust your pace to the other person. I also think that it would be safer because you are always in the line of sight of your buddy.

We will be doing a lot of diving at Dutch Springs this summer, so we will have lots of practice. :)

My wife and I have been diving together for years and there is no one I would rather dive with. We like diving together so much we took our IDC together. That communication and ability to read each other extends to divemastering for each other's classes:updown:

She is a fair weather diver. If the seas are a bit rough...she wont go. Much current....she wont go. So there are times I end up with another buddy of mine...he and I are doing our DM class together. When fiance and I do dive together, I tend to get slower for her....make it as relaxing as possible. She used to have a real hard problem keeping up with me until we bought her some new fins...now she keeps up like a champ LOL
Marty

Hooked4Life once bubbled...
[B.. only done 2 dives together .. both have a lot to learn .. I do notice that I have a tendancy to swim faster then she does. With me being 6'1 and she being around 5'5 my legs are a lot longer. The post that someone said that him and his wife swim side by side would make a lot of sense for us. This way you can also adjust your pace to the other person. I also think that it would be safer because you are always in the line of sight of your buddy.

We will be doing a lot of diving at Dutch Springs this summer, so we will have lots of practice. :) [/B]

Ah, the other half weighs in. Sounds like you're more willing to listen than was first implied. You are 100% on the "safer", were you not taught to stay with your buddy? (meant as a real query, not a criticism, I've dove with a couple of people who either missed or weren't taught things such as how to read tank markings) If you read many of the DAN accident reports, separated from his/her buddy, is a not uncommon theme. I have an occasional buddy shorter than me, than used to tend to race ahead, so I'm not sure it's just the longer legs. The key thing to practice is buoyancy. My wife had the same issue at the beginning (maybe I did too, my first half dozen dives were with very skilled divers who kept after me to slow down) due to being too heavy (need to add air in her BC) and so had to keep swimming to stay off the bottom. Try hovering, then hover some more. When you can stay at the same depth for 10 minutes, without finning with your feet or hands and without adding or removing air, then try doing some skills (mask clearing) while hovering. If you need a little guidance, it shouldn't be too difficult to find someone willing to help. I know that any of the more experienced divers I've been around are always quite willing to offer tips and critique.

My wife is not as enamored with diving as I am, but over time we have worked it out. With few exceptions, if she is not my buddy then I am solo. In poor vis we used a buddy rope to avoid seperation when I wasn't paying as much attention to her as I should have. And when the going gets tough like in heavy (river) current I sometimes get to play tugboat. Over time, we are doing much better in harmonizing our diving. With good dive planning we avoid the surprises. And there are some dives that she isn't interested in or just doesn't do any more so I'm either on my own or looking for another buddy.

You both will need to work on it a bit to avoid conflicts and enjoy diving together when it is right and support each other in your seperate diving experiences when it is not.

ScubaGhrl once bubbled...
... and my 'buddy' swims ahead of me and it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Have you ever thought about putting them on a shorter leash?

hehe, j/k ...

What I was really going to say is have you ever tried "Underwater Communications"?

Especially when diving with a S/O this can prove beneficial ...

On the other hand ... If you chose Scuba as a joint hobby to not have to listen to the nagging then ....
try SKYDIVING !!!

:mission:

KN

The discussion in this thread seems to focus on SO buddies who really don't follow the buddy system as well as one buddy desires.

I think the real concern in diving with your SO is the additional emotion that might cloud judgment IF a serious situation developed and you had to apply rescue or other emergency techniques. Would your mind be clear in doing so, or would the added emotions prevent you from clearly engaging the techniques.

I have seen such situations develop, although mainly with family relations rather than SO. It was my distinct observation that the emotional connection created altered judgment.

For some strange reason I've never had a SO who dives. However some of my buddies are such great buddies that I'd love to make them my SO... if they weren't already involved with SO's that don't dive!

Dr. Bill

drbill once bubbled...
The discussion in this thread seems to focus on SO buddies who really don't follow the buddy system as well as one buddy desires.

I think the real concern in diving with your SO is the additional emotion that might cloud judgment IF a serious situation developed and you had to apply rescue or other emergency techniques. Would your mind be clear in doing so, or would the added emotions prevent you from clearly engaging the techniques.

I have seen such situations develop, although mainly with family relations rather than SO. It was my distinct observation that the emotional connection created altered judgment.

I would think that if ever in a serious situation w/ your SO you'd be more desperate to help. I'd think you'd value your SO life a lot more then you'd value any ordinary dive buddy..Just a thought although I know it shouldnt be that way. I do think youd go into overprotective mode and do your best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom