Curacao Scubaboard Meet & Greet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our first week in Curacao is going well. Sorry to hear about CheddarChick's experience. We have found Marazul Dive Resort has a lot left to install to advertise as a 'dive resort', but we independant types have converted the second bathroom in our bungalow to our gear rinse & drying room. Playa Forti is the quiet muck diving capital around here. My wife is averaging 50 'keeper' photos per dive thus far. Had a spooky experience with the local fishermen there trying to go for a night dive tonight. We'll probably go to Habitat tomorrow night for a night dive before we change spots. We did get to chat with Tony and we plan on seeing him this weekend. More to come . . .

what an awesome trip! (despite the insanity of getting home) It was nice meeting everyone. CheddarChick, sry we didn't make it to the thing, we got in the water late and had an early dinner res in Willemstad, but glad we at least got to say hi.

i put up a few pix on SB here and the rest in my pbase gallery

:D

Terence,
It was nice to meet you guys, although breif...:D I really like this photo:
76075344.bhvk4AEZ.LongBeachMar142007040finalsmall.jpg

Lots of good diving on the Rock! :wink:

tony

Well, we finally managed to return back to NJ. Met Chedderchick and Cheddarguy on the Habitat dock almost toward the end of our stay.Didn't do too many boat dives since the house was full and I didn't want to take up boat spots. We were booked on Continental to return on Saturday 17th. We were packed at our house ready to go to the airport when the dive op manager from Habitat called me at the house and told me our flight was cancelled. Sure enough it was, due to the snow storm here. They wanted to book us on AA to Miami and standby to NJ. No, way, I don't do anything on standby hanging around Miami airport for who knows how long. Earliest we could leave confirmed was Wedensday. We took Thursday. So we unpacked and went diving. Great trip, a little longer than planned but what the heck, better sun and warm water than snow. Planning to go back in July.
It was good to meet you Cheddarchick and Cheddarguy.

devilfish - very smart choice. we left the afternoon of 16th and found out on the way that our connection from MIA to LGA was cancelled. We stayed overnight in MIA on our own dime (actually ended up rooming w/ goatfish and markfm!) and then did the standby thing on the 17th ALL day from 5am to 5pm, never got called. We were only confirmed on a flight for the 20th. So we decided to rent a car and just drive. On the way out of the rental car parking lot, we got a call from a friend who just happened to be in MIA who said he heard them call my wife's name for standby. grrrrrr. We ended up driving to Raleigh overnite and finally got on a flight Sunday morning.

i wish we could have extended the trip

A really great time meeting all of you guys!!!! Tony that's the one of best pictures I have seen!!!!! Sometimes get togethers are like herding cats, it was a great time!!!! Just like the squid school we saw, there were too many things to do sorry if We missed you!!!

squidboy.jpg

Hi All!

Well, it is difficult to not dive after a week of pure diving! Sorry I missed you Chedder chick and scubatexastony. It was fun shouting hello and waving to you as MarkFM and I were going under:D. MarkFM saw your caution tape once, and then later remembered it was your scubabboard ID.:shakehead I brought my antlers, but it stayed in my luggage :turkey:.

It was a great week, good diving.
We arrived on Friday afternoon. Zahner saw MarkFM and me at the airport waiting for our luggage and introduced himself and his wife. It was nice-saw them a few times during the week at Habitat-(and even roomed with them when we were stuck in Miami! See what can happen when you meet fellow scubaboarders!):wink: We met up with the dive group that had organized the trip for us, then MarkFM and I did a night dive -more like getting used to diving again for me-on Friday night. Didn't stay in long. The dive set up at Habitat is very convenient as everyone has mentioned. The tanks are available 24/7. There are lockers available for your gear.

It is a short walk down the pier to the water. MarkFM always did a giant stride in although you have to be careful I think, you can touch bottom. I always made my way down the steps.There is a line from the pier going to the reef. Very nice. MarkFM and I did many day and night dives from here. If you like many different types of eels, pufferfish, octopus, scorpionfish, peacock flounder, slipper lobster etc, all were seen diving the house reef, including tiny things, cleaner shrimp etc.

I love night dives, and observing an octopus feeding, with MarkFM and friends is one om favorite memories. Pointing to peacock flounders to MarkFM, and seeing the flounder camouflage as Mark turns to look at it.:rofl3: He did take some cool photos eventually. Also, seeing a slipper lobster scurrying was a hoot. MarkFM and I saw a slipper lobster that was huge -and prehistoric looking in Roatan, barely moving-so seeing this one move so quickly was impressive. I brought all my Humann ID books and referenced what I saw with friends.

We did a total of 3 half days of boat dives, 2 dives each outing.The most fun was going to the Mushroom forest and Port Marie the same trip. In between, we did a surface interval snorkeling to a cave/cavern? within a cliff.

We rented a car for 2 days towards the middle of the week, went to Cas Abo (lots of sea urchins) and Port Marie for shore diving. Cas Abo was fun, nice simple snack area. Port Marie is close to Habitat-very nice shore diving for a small fee for chairs and beach entry- a woman walks up and down the beach collecting fees. Showers are available for rinsing. There is a double reef. MarkFM saw a large lobster fending off fishes in the daytime, and a school of barracuda! I was under the weather-and sat out the day of diving here :(. My friends saw an eagle ray here.

Never did manage to wake up early for a dawn dive-other divers made this a ritual-swore by all the critters they saw.
The water was cooler than I expected. I was chilly towards the end of 50 minutes in a 3 mm microprene. MarkFM dove in a lycra and was fine. Water was much warmer towards the end of the week.

The food at the restaurant ranged from very good (most of the time) to very bad (just once). Stick with hamburgers with the works, pineapple, bacon, fried onions, cheese, about $10.00, pasta was decent, especially spagetti bolonese. The last night, service was off, food (steaks) were cold-was not representative of the week. We did not travel to other restaurants except for Daniels. Food was good, service very slow because we had a huge group, larger than our reservation. Our friends went another night, and the service was fine.

We spent one afternoon in Willemstad-couldn't dive -flight next day. Cute, walked across the moving bridge, did some souvenir shopping. They had stands where women are selling paintings on canvas-landscape etc,probably printed/mass produced?-some are very nice-look hard-prices dependent on size-ranged from $20.00 to hundreds. Bargaining is expected, and can go down by 40-50% for the more expensive prints! MarkFM brought a pretty painting for me that I love because it shows the moving bridge and houses in Curacao.:10:

Now where to go next? Galapagos Aggressor?:)

GF

Great report Goat..Sorry we missed you. We had a blast, and diving was the best!!!

ChicagoDVR:
I'll be in Curacao April 22nd throught the 29th. Staying at Sunset Waters and this will be my first trip down and i hear its amazing...
ChicagoDVR, my wife and I will be at Sunset Waters 4/21 through 4/28, then are doing a week at Breezes. Hope to meet you down there. We are really looking foreward to this trip, have heard nothing but great things about Curacao.

Dogboy,
Where are you staying? We are at the Sunset Waters but one of the guys from MY LDS who is an instructor is going to take me over to Superior Producer and do my wreck cert. i can't wait.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom