padi getting involved

should padi get involved in public safety diver training

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mirrocraft

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
ok heres a question for the public safety divers out there do you think padi sould or would get involved in the public safety diver certification. there is a roomer going that there is a padi master instructor in my area wanting to put in the paper work to padi so he can do a public safety diver specailty so he can train public safety divers in my area do you think this is something padi should get involved with or is this something they should stay alway from just like caves or do you even think padi will aprrove this. there are only a few orgainzations out there that train public safety divers and its hard enuff to get them to train but is padi up to standerds in this feild

if that is the case it is simply a instructor designed specialty that PADI approves, it isn't really PADI getting involved. the real question is what quals does this PADI instructor have, not PADI.

LOL arn't they involved in everything already? They've shown they know how to market. I guess if they think they can make a buck they will. I think they should "streamline" their own current markets and quit trying to cover everything for cash

I know of whom Mirrocraft is speaking. He is a Master SCUBA Diver instructor, a police officer & a public safety diver himself. He has public safety diver training, but where & what I'm not sure. Now whether or not it will be recongnized by the state.... I don't know. This course would be developed & taught by this instructor & would be a distinctive specialty.

Are you serious?

Absolutely not. PSD is more like commercial diving than sport diving.

I don't see padi getting into this. Their minimal training philosophy will make it too un-proffitable to set up a decent program. Anyone who is trying to make a "specialty" class either doesn't understand PSD or is just trying to make a quick buck. I'd run!

A fellow instructor and I have worked with a department down here in Middle TN that is getting into that line of work... What we are doing is getting them certified up thru Rescue Diver, and diving in a dry suit, and then they go contact another agency for the specialized training that they need.

Could it be that this person is doing the same thing, but is becoming a PSD instructor as well?

Randy

Unless they are going to start another rating its not really something PADI would do. Distinctives are the property of the individual instructor not really PADI. They just give their blessing.

from what im being told he is doing this in place of the psd and this is why im against this no this guy may have had the psd traing but it does not make im qualified to train this if hes qualified to do this training he should become a psd trainer in the correct agencie

I dont think PADI needs to get into the PSD end of diving. Here in IL the State Fire marshall has a program for PSD. The program was written by ACTIVE PSD. To fit the needs of the teams in IL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom