Any other musicians here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Self taught guitarist usually translates to "I suck". Still likely true after 4 years of stumblin thru books and reinventing the wheel and playing about an hour a night. Luckily, I play for me, and the only person who gets regularly auricly abused is my wife. (I figgure its fair trade for havin to listen to her tirades about me spendin money on scuba stuff :D ). I stick primarily to country, with a little old rock and Great Big Sea thrown in (for all you americans, GBS is a Newfoundland band....really worth checking out).
P.S. it makes me sick when you musician types pick up a guitar and pick out a tune effortlessly when I spent 6 months with bleeding fingertips to play half as well. Please, if you are around us "self taught guitarists", play poorly.....it makes us feel better, and after we've played, everyone will still think you are great :D

Wetvet

I do not play too much at the moment, but in the past, I was a big fan of the guitar and the 5-string banjo. I played in the church choir for a couple of decades. The picture below is dated 1983; I am on the right playing the guitar. That would make me 41 years old in that photo.

I have always loved music (mostly listen to classical) and would love to play in a Celtic band if I was afforded the opportunity.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Dr Deco once bubbled...

... The picture below is dated 1983; I am on the right playing the guitar. That would make me 41 years old in that photo.

Whoa ... That would make you (counts on fingers) ...
61 Years Old ...

I would have never guessed ... And I have spent some time around you in person ...

... I would have never figured you to be a day over 60 1/2 ...

:mission:

hehehe, I am actually just kidding in case anyone is wondering ...

When Ladydiver pointed this thread out to me and mention "41 in '83" and that you had to be 61, the first thing I said was "There is NO WAY!" .... but then I had to stop and think for a minute ... I've read your Bio and accomplishments and after thinking about it I said...
"Well, I guess he would be... You would just never know it while talking to him ... Too much horsepower still left in that ol Mule"

hehe, I can say this much, Im a little over 1/2 way to that age and I don't think I will have faired so well when I am there, hell, there are days NOW that I don't fair so well ... lol

KN

=-)

Doc Deco:
I would have to agree with KN. He introduced me to you at Dema 2001.
I would have guessed you were in your 50's since I am in my 40's and I did know you were older then me.
I think Scuba Diving keeps one youthful.

As for the thread ..
I took guitar lessons in high school.
I mastered Stairway to Heaven, Smoke on the Water,& Needle in the Damage Done.
Then I let my nails grow long, and now enjoy listening to other people.

I have played since I can remember. I love feeling the music through my fingers. It has always been a very meditative, expressive release for me. (sounds corny, I know) LOL

I am partial to classical music and challenging myself with it's intensities. I studied it all through college. However, I am currently living in an apartment, which makes raging on a piano not good for neighbor relations. LOL I miss my piano very much!

I have thought about investing in a portable keyboard, and then I could use headphones or something, so that I don't bother people. But it just doesn't feel the same as an upright or a baby grand. If anyone has any suggestions for me, I'd love to hear them. :)

the sharkman once bubbled...
Guitars rule!

SNIPPED

I have Taylor accoustics and Fender Stratocasters, which my wife says I have too much of, so now I don't tell her when I buy another. I went from processers to now stomp boxes, strategically placed in disarray all over my music room. In college I took many music classes, to include piano but: Guitars rule!

sharkman
:guitar:
p.s., Aquabella, quit stealin my little happy-face-jammin'-dude. This one----> :guitar:

Sharky... you have fine taste in instruments my man... Taylors are great, truly great. I'd swap my Martin for a Taylor any day (send me a 700 please).

Strats are OK but Teles are better =-)

GUITARS RULE!!!

Stone once bubbled...

Telecaster are OK, Strats are better.

They both sound good through a valve amp! =-)

And nothing comes close... well, a '67 Rickenbacker 325 would come very close but a Fender action is second to none...

Of course, the Tele has a classier tone :)

Take care man
Doppler

Doppler once bubbled...
Fender action is second to none...
I agree. I have always preferred Fender action to Gibson (and the Fenders stay in tune better).

Of course, the Tele has a classier tone :)
A matter of opinion to be sure (especially since old Telecasters and Strats had hand-wound pickups that varied greatly). Strats have more versatility (by virtue of 3 pick-ups versus 2 for Telecasters), and the unique sound you can get by putting the pickup selector between pickups is something my Telecasters couldn't achieve.

I use to use a Tele for rhythm, but the Strat and Les Paul were my choices for lead.

I await your rebuttal :D

Stone once bubbled...

Strats have more versatility (by virtue of 3 pick-ups versus 2 for Telecasters), and the unique sound you can get by putting the pickup selector between pickups is something my Telecasters couldn't achieve.

Yea, that's one of the great advantages of the strat and in all honesty -- ribbing aside -- the strat is a great guitar for straight up, no sodding around, full-on rock and roll, blues and anything involving lots of bends and slides. As you say, a great lead guitar sound... probably the best around, and I do have my eyes on one in a local store... vintage and interesting pickups. But there's something about the look of a telecaster... always had a soft spot in my heart for that asymetrical shape and the body size.

Tell you what, you play lead and I'll lay down the groove.

:)

P.s. I never cottoned the action on a Gibson... nice guitar though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom