Gloves on reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyklon_300 once bubbled...

Did you wordsmith your tag line 'dive like a fish'.... Last time I checked, fish locomote by swimming.

How do you move underwater? Do you swim, walk, run or fly?

Spend some time watching fish.

Let the water do the work.

The fish do.

So can you.

Your reply to this will be the measure of what you are.

leadweight once bubbled...
What did you think it meant? You are invited to come up with something better.

I had no idea idea what it meant, that's why I asked.

Come up with something better than what? You take a name off of my links page and I'm to outdo that? I'm sorry, I'm lost.

WW

It seems that coral damage is still occurring even though we have banned the use of gloves while diving coral reefs.

Therefore, we will be implementing the following additional guidelines (instead of fixing the overlying problem):

1. No fins: Fins are no longer allowed within 2 miles of any coral reef.

2. No motor vessels: Motorized vessels can not approach any closer than 5 miles to a coral reef.

3. Diver Umbilical Mobile harnass (dumass): All divers must wear a harness that is attached to a length of line 8ft. shorter than the minimum depth within a 1 mile radius of the divesite. The line will be attached to an innertube floatation device with no less than 200lbs of 'lift'.

4. No additional diver training is required. The above should greatly reduce the damage to our coral reefs.

WreckWriter once bubbled...

I had no idea idea what it meant, that's why I asked.

Come up with something better than what? You take a name off of my links page and I'm to outdo that? I'm sorry, I'm lost.

WW

Next time you go diving don't think about my beanie.

Next time you go diving don't think about my beanie.

I'll try hard not to. I gotta admit, whenever I see someone wearing one, I'll probably always think of you!

WW

They may look silly, but they work.

LW:

I'm curious whether you're actually going to tell us whether you've read the PADI DM manual or whether your comments about its author are more mental self-abuse (which is a polite term for what I really want to write) designed to distract us from your lack of qualifications.

As for Coz and some other lower end Carribbean islands purportedly banning gloves, I guess that's another reason I'll stick to the Caymans and Bermuda for my vacation diving.

Brian,

446 did not deserve the treatment he was receiving.

At any rate you seem to believe that being mean some of the time is worse than being mean all the time and that it constitutes hypocracy. I think you are going a bit too far and holding me to a standard which does not exist, especially around here. You should be taking up these issues with some of the other parties to this bar fight. By the way, the comment you refer to was mild in comparison to the personal attack that WW made and was later removed by the moderators.

Your comments on gloves and dive training are well taken.

Do you find it offensive that I refer to people who sneak around the rules as creeps?

Finally, when I read the nonsense that some people around here try to pass off as debate, along with the frequent slurs, it really makes me wonder if wordsmithing is worth the effort, or if anyone around here is entitled to hear any interesting ideas that I may come up with.

OK...here goes...

1.) 446 vs. WW - not my battle, however anyone who signs on the board using multiple names simple for the sake of arguing and creating chaos deserves being called out-using whatever language and means possible. This is totally bogus and has no place on this board...unless it's my sockpuppet:wink:

2.) The hypocracy issue - where I found my basis for my claims was that you were very "vocal" when you were "attacked" by WW and the basis of your claim was that he was calling you names and ambushing you...you then went on to call names, dig up internet links and make comments about the war...come-on, if you want to claim the morale high ground, then don't wallow in the mud. It defeats and lessens your stance. I personally don't care if you want to go around name calling etc. it is actually somewhat amusing, just don't pull the "higher standard of debate" defense unless you intend to stick to it.

3.) Gloves and diving...comments well taken...thank-you...

4.) Calling people who "sneak" on gloves creeps - again...remember what is the REASON for the law...if someone doesn't want to get stung by jellies or sunburns easily and they are a competent diver, then the spirit of the law is obeyed by there actions while actually diving even though they may be breaking the letter of the law. I would not call them creeps, I would call anyone who rototills a reef a lot worse. I'm concerned with the reason behind the law, not the actual law.

5.) Please continue to debate as much as you want. Just remember that effective debate does not require name calling and irrelevant personal attacks. If you truly want to be heard, then keep this in mind.

Brian

I have yet to see someone holding onto a coral head to keep from floating to the surface. By the time an unskilled diver realizes what is happening he is too far from the bottom to do that. At that point a divemaster (or his buddy if it is me) swims over and starts to dump the excess air out of their BC.

I'm not referring to bouyancy problems when they are to bouyant. If they are too bouyant, gloves or not, they aren't touchiing the reef. When they are too heavy, and worried about touching the reef with their hands, they kick like hell to get off the reef.

I'm sorry... right or wrong, I feel grabbing a perceived deal piece of coral between your index finger and thumb and pushing off on it is a hell of a lot beter than kicking like mad, when you aren't looking at what your kicking.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

Whether Alex Brylske wrote anything is irrelevant to this discussion. The PADI DM manual is neither particularly advanced nor is it particularly well written. Most of the manual deals with dive leadership, supervision, learning theory, dive shop economics and what it takes to pass the DM course.

Yes, the book deals mostly with supervission and leadership aspect cause that's what divemasters do.[B
After certification, DM's use the OWSI manual, which is where you'll find little gems like having your students kneel on the bottom of the pool.

[/B]

Most DM's don't need the instructor manual. The is nothing anywhere in the instructor manual about having students kneel on the bottom. Can't balme the manual for that one.

Back
Top Bottom