Another sad scam........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had it happen in Waikiki one time....we were not at all pleased. Good for you that you stood up and did something about it :wink:

This really breaks my heart...but I am glad Betsy shared it. AS I told her on the phone last night, it's hard to see and hear these things about our island, but the truth is we all have to start being more careful because there are scammers out there. At least it seems like people are on to them and it's the same two or three places that we keep hearing these things about. Fortunately, there are still many, many honest "old school" restaurant and business owners out there.

The moral to the story is to check your bill carefully. On food, there should be no tax and there are no additioanl fees. The price on the menu should be the same price on your bill unless they've added the gratuity and made it clear that's what it is.

Mexico today is not mexico from 10 or 15 years ago. The last 2 times I was there were both horrible experiences from dealing with the locals. You cant trust any of them. I am going to Cozumel in a few weeks and im sure it will be the same idiots trying to sell me timeshares, their little sister, chicklets, or charging me unsuspectingly. Im really hoping that this time after I go I realize that when I leave there that the diving is not so great that its worth getting treated like I owe everyone in mexico something and I wont return again. Im going on a quick 5 night/6 day stay, but If I had 7 days I would NOT be picking mexico. I was actually planning on Roatan, but it didnt work out, so mexico was a last minute pick. There are many, many other places that have better diving for the same (or slightly higher) cost and you will actually be treated like a guest, not a walking ATM machine. I believe I did a trip report on my last trip there but here a few highlights from Playa Del Carmen, which is just south of Cancun.

#1) gf and her friend went into town from resort we were staying at and had lunch. After lunch waiter picks up money, thumbs through it and says to her "this isnt 20%".

#2) at All inclusive resort (very nice one by the way) they tell you tips are included but if you dont tip, you get the hairy eyeball and horrible service.

#3) at same resort, after a large group of us ate dinner, waiter comes up and repeatadly asks us if everything was ok. Keeps asking us if we liked our food, etc, after a few minutes, we realize whats up and tell him the tip is on the table. He then nods and apologizes profusely.

#4) friend and wife go to Acapolco?(spelling) and go off the beaten path to find a grocery store locals go to so they dont get screwed. Lady in front of them gets her items scanned and pays. Same for next customer. When they get to cashier, big commotion, mgr comes up, talking in spanish back and forth to cashier. Manager informs them the scanner is broke and the cashier must ring up everything by hand. Then they keep looking at the price list for every item. (to see how much to mark it up im sure). My friend and his wife just laughed. What else can you do?

For some reason, Mexico now assumes that we owe them something since we stole america from them. (their words, not mine) I guess this is just one of the many ways they are trying to get even with us.

I am going to Cozumel in a few weeks and im sure it will be the same idiots trying to sell me timeshares, their little sister, or chicklets.
True on the time shares, not true on the other two.

#1) gf and her friend went into town from resort we were staying at and had lunch. After lunch waiter picks up money, thumbs through it and says to her "this isnt 20%".
Good time to say, "Yeah, that was too much. Give me some of it back." Oh, rudeness happens too many places, very rare in Coz. Like I said, I keep lots of $1, $2, $5 bills handy, figure my bill, ask questions as needed, leave what I want just before leaving quickly.

#2) at All inclusive resort (very nice one by the way) they tell you tips are included but if you dont tip, you get the hairy eyeball and horrible service.
This is all too common. When they say "Tips Included," totally ignore that as a marketing ploy. They're not, and in a tip oriented society, they are expected. For best results, don't patronize a resort that uses that line.

GBrandon.........sorry but I take huge offense to your comment......."can't trust any of them"...........I reported something nasty at one establishment where I hope future patrons will address the problem with that knowledge. There are wonderful people here who are honest and correct in their dealings with tourists. I don't understand your theory of five days versus seven............seven days means you will get ripped off and five doesn't??............sorry you had bad experiences in other parts of Mexico...........and I am sad that Roatan didn't work out for you--------keep trying since, with your attitude, you won't be happy here anyway........Betsy

Betsy, I think he meant he would have returned to Roatan but the planes only fly there once a week and he couldn't get that much time off.

I'm sure he'll return from Coz with a better appreciateion...

gbrandon:
The last 2 times I was there were both horrible experiences from dealing with the locals. You cant trust any of them.

Very unfair and inaccurate.

Don't allow your bad experiences in other parts of Mexico or at the big resorts (where the poor employees have to deal with numerous rude, indignant, drunk, obnoxious tourists on a daily basis) taint your image of Cozumel. Notice I did NOT say that ALL tourists were this way, but they do in fact exist as do the polite, respectful, gracious tourists.

Yes, scammers and rude locals with a sense of entitlement exist, but people like that exist in every single town/city in the world. It is unfair to cast that gneralization on Mexico as a whole...particularly Cozumel which I still feel is a much gentler place than any other place in Mexico...despite the few bad seeds.

I guess based on your logic, I would have to say that all Americans are rude scammers too because I had a credit card stolen in California and then the hotel clerk treated me like a low-life because I didn't have a credit card to give them for incidental charges (I only traveled with one card). See how much sense that makes?

I've spent some time on Coz, and even more in the Riviera Maya area. It's been my observation that your attitude directly affects the way you're treated (which is as it should be!). I've watched rude, arrogant, obnoxious people get stonewalled by the locals, while people with a smile and a patient, friendly attitude are treated like kings. I've never had a single problem that wasn't corrected with a smile and a willingness to help, but then again I've never felt the need to be a jerk to them either. Why should they care if you obviously treat them with such low regard? I love that part of the world, and it would be fine with me if people just left their attitudes at home and learned to relax and stop demanding.......

I was in Mexico in November and had no problems at all, nobody even offered me a timeshare!
Everyone was friendly, polite, willing to help when I didn't understand, etc! I never once felt ripped off or screwed over, and loved it so much I'm going back in May!

My fave part was how every single person would say Hola to me as I walked around the resort! The cleaning ladies, the construction crew, everyone! It made me feel safe and at home!

Mexico is AMAZING!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom