padi getting involved

should padi get involved in public safety diver training

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike - sounds like the teams that you've dealt with are either trying to cheap out or just aren't making an honest evaluation about themselves. Trully unfortunate but not unexpected as there are allot of areas like this.
I understand where you're coming from.

mirrocraft - If you're interested pm me your e-mail and I can send you a document that will include some logical thinking and facts to support your argument

When I took mine in '00,'01 I was told that PADI had a PSD cert. I think they call it Law Enforcement Diver. It wasn't near as envolved as the one that I took through NAUI.

tstormwarning:
I know of whom Mirrocraft is speaking. He is a Master SCUBA Diver instructor, a police officer & a public safety diver himself.

OK then why does he want to go through PADI to teach PSD?

Answer: Because he already Put Another Dollar In to become one of their instructors and is apparently too cheap/lazy to become a cerified PSD Instructor throgh his current PSD certifying agency.

Bottom line is PADI, NAUI, YMCA, SSI, etc are all recreational diving agencies that may or may not have a program for PSD. These programs are not a true PSD certifying programs. When something goes wrong, will they be willing to step up to justify or explain what happened? Do they have experts in the PSD field who have X amount of years of experience? Or will there be a small, obscure line of print excusing them from any liability. What is important is, we, as the people in the know, must tell others in the PSD world who are either starting out or just haven't done the research, to contact a true PSD training agency. Cost, of course, is a factor. But you get what you pay for too.

Put Another Doller In

Well ^you^, the results are in...

Should padi get involved in public safety diver training?

10.42% say YES ... cdreamer, clydejr, CrackedConch, dmmike, Mike Manthe

89.58% say NO ... 480 volt, amascuba, artusor, Ben_ca, BladesRobinson, blinkpete, Boater Dan, bridgediver, captndale, Charles R, cowjazz, dive_lover88, engdiver, Falco, FDdiver, fedfirediver, Firefyter, fire_diver, frankmzd, Gary D., jtivat, Lt.Warner, mirrocraft, MonkSeal, oem3105, PerroneFord, pir8, rcontrera, rmannix, Sky Shark, Steve50, Sydney_Diver, tc246, Teamcasa, tedtim, texdiveguy, Thalassamania, The Chad, TheAvatar, vablackwater, Whale Whisperer, willardj, Yotsie

I believe 16 of those who participated in the poll (red above) are active Public Safety Divers and 94% of these PSDs agree that PADI should not offer PSD training. It also appears that 31 divers (black & dark gray) who participated were recreational or technical divers and 87% of those members also agree that PADI should not offer PSD training.

What is somewhat surprising though is that despite the facts posted on this forum, there are a handful of ScubaBoard members who believe recreational instructors can teach Public Safety Diving! This IS America and everyone is entitled to their opinion so I respect those who had the courage to possibly "go against the grain" and vote what they believed.

I believe this was a great exchange of information. To ALL who participated in this discussion and poll I extend my thanks. I believe some good information was shared and I am hopeful that the ScubaBoard will continue to be a forum for "us" to learn from.

Respectfully,

Blades Robinson

Hey ^you^, are you planning to attend the IADRS-PSD conference?

OK, so 21 years on the RSD team and I'm still not a PSD, Wow!

Short memory Blades?

tc246:
OK, so 21 years on the RSD team and I'm still not a PSD, Wow!

Tom, Sorry about that...

When I was highlighting screennames in my earlier post, I was using the benefit of the "public profile" provided to the ScubaBoard. I may have missed someone else too but the final results of the poll are strongly in favor of PADI sticking to what they do best ... teaching recreational diving and staying out of the PSD training market.

i do agree with every one and thank them for helping me with this i my self agree padi shouuld stay out and after reading this feel even more they need to stay out of it and i am working with my figher dep. trying to get them to do this correctly with the information i have gotten i am putting to gether a good presentation for my argument when i bring this in front of the cheif

BladesRobinson [I:
Hey ^you^, are you planning to attend the IADRS-PSD conference?[/I]

Blades:

I am starting to look into it. Since we are an underfunded volunteer team (go figure) and I am looking at using my frequent flyer miles and hotel points from my work to put together a trip. I would really like to attend though.

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom