Diver's body recovered off Clearwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steintheman

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Read this in the Tampa Tribune this morning. Couldn't find any other details. My condolences to the family.

Coast Guard Recovers Diver’s Body
Posted Apr 1, 2007 by Beth Gaddis
Updated Apr 1, 2007 at 11:53 PM

TAMPA TRIBUNE STAFF REPORT

CLEARWATER - The body of a diver was found Sunday almost three hours after he went missing, the U.S. Coast Guard said.

XXXXX XXXXX, 50, of Palm Harbor, was reported missing at 12:30 p.m. after he didn’t surface while scuba diving with two friends. A Coast Guard helicopter found the body at 3:12 p.m. about 15 miles west of Clearwater.

Hello,

I am very sorry to hear about this. Do you have a link to the news report so that we may try to keep up with the incident reporting? I would appreciate it. I have learned so much from these postings.

Thanks,

Michelle

Any details as to what happened?

So very sad...

-J.-

I heard about this yesterday afternoon. It has been unusually quiet around hear in regard to this accident. Last night on our local news did a 30 sec. commentary stating that the diver ran out of air, 1mi. off shore and they had recovered the diver. I logged on SB last night to see if anyone of us was out and about around here yesterday, but I sort of got derailed. I'm sorry to hear of another tragedy.
Dive Safe!!!!

This is terrible news, my condolences as well... this one hits very close to home as he was from my town.

The only info I've found was the St. Pete Times article but they grouped it with other water related incidents attributed to Spring Break and didn't elaborate.

Here is the article:

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/04/02/Tampabay/One_dead__three_hurt_.shtml

a few of us were out diving with capt. ty and heard the inital distress call...

only thing i can add to the release below is that the boat the divers were on did not have a working radio and found a nearby fishing boat to make the distress call to the coast guard.

here's the release i found from the CG's website:

Press Release
Date: April 1, 2007

Coast Guard Locates Body of Missing Diver Near Clearwater
CLEARWATER, Fla. - The Coast Guard located the body of a missing diver at 3:12 p.m. today about 15-miles west of Clearwater, Fla.
Joseph Libby, 50, of Palm Harbor, Fla., was reported missing by a Good Samaritan at 12:30 p.m. today after he failed to surface while recreational scuba diving with a group of two other friends from a 23-foot pleasure craft.
Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater immediately launched an HH-60 rescue helicopter and arrived on scene at 1:34 p.m. to search the area for the missing diver. The Coast Guard helicopter crew located the diver deceased at 3:12 p.m.
Crew members from Coast Guard Station Sand Key, in Clearwater, Fla., are transporting the body to awaiting Pinellas County Sheriff's Office Officials at Coast Guard Station Sand Key.
The Pinellas County Coroner's Office will investigate the cause of death.
###

The man's sister-in-law is a customer in my parents store. At some pint he removed his gear and the coast guard and ME both think it is possible that the equipment malfunctioned. The coast guard looked for the gear for 2 days and the family looked for 2 days (is now taking time off because of Easter). They would really like to find the gear. Alos, he left behind 3 children. One of which is only 12 and he was just certified last summer. He was on the boat that day and he would like to find the gear for closure. I haven't been diving in awhile and am trying to figure out what could have happend to the gear and where to start looking.

I am sure the family would love to know that those they don't even know are thinking of them.

Andrea

Also, the final cuase of death was accidental drowning (partly because they couldn't find the gear) and also I think to help the family with his life insurance.

diveaddict:
The man's sister-in-law is a customer in my parents store. At some pint he removed his gear and the coast guard and ME both think it is possible that the equipment malfunctioned. The coast guard looked for the gear for 2 days and the family looked for 2 days (is now taking time off because of Easter). They would really like to find the gear. Alos, he left behind 3 children. One of which is only 12 and he was just certified last summer. He was on the boat that day and he would like to find the gear for closure. I haven't been diving in awhile and am trying to figure out what could have happend to the gear and where to start looking.

I am sure the family would love to know that those they don't even know are thinking of them.

Andrea

Also, the final cuase of death was accidental drowning (partly because they couldn't find the gear) and also I think to help the family with his life insurance.

Andrea,
You may want to contact David @ AAdiving.org out of Camp Lejeune. He teaches our wounded warrior program for our vet's that return home.My son is a Marine. He also donates his time and training to the "Sethfoundation.com." This is a group of volunteers that specialize in recovery when local officials need help. David may be able to suggest what to look for in tide charts,search patterns, etc. when trying to retrieve the missing gear. It might be a long shot but who knows.

I might also suggest you fax a flyer to the local dive shops,fishing charters, Aquariums(MoteMarine.org),etc. and get the word out as to what you are looking for. I am sure everyone will do what they can once they are aware of what's involved here!
Once again, were sorry for this loss.
Sincerly,
Debra

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom