Please Help! Playa Del Carmen/ Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from Playa yesterday... Not bad conditions at all. One recommendation I can make is a small community called Paamul (off of 307 just north of Puerto Aventuras). Very easy diving, and pretty much every dive is within a 5 minute boat ride of the shore. It's no frills diving, they won't feed you, but they'll definitely get you in the water. Advanced divers will get bored easily, but it's a great spot for the beginners.
www.scubamex.com

You are staying right next door to the Iberostar resorts and they have an onsite dive op called Dressel Divers. I am not sure if you could book through them or not, but it would be worth an inquiry as it would be very convenient. It is true the playa side is windy but the diving is not bad and you will have a great time. Just my 2 cents.

CANdive002:
Well, Hi all! I’m new around here and…
I’m in need of a bit of advice. :)

I’m headed to Mexico Feb 5-10 2007, flying into Cancun and staying at the Mayan Palace, Rivera Maya. I have been to the area before, and will be renting a car. I have not been diving in this area before. I was curious if anyone could point me towards a good op- good sized boats, small groups, friendly, efficient, everything one would look for. I do not have many logged ocean* dives (6) but feel very comfortable in the water, and have good buoyancy and very good air consumption. [1yr OW Cert, 4-coldwater quarry and, 6 ocean dives] I will also be renting gear.

I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction as far as Op’s and specific dives go. Since my other dives have been on reefs, are the cenotes something new, and worth trying? I’ve heard good things. I’m looking for anything from Cozumel -Playa Del Carmen.

Thank-you so much for any advice,
Julie

If you are renting a car................head down to Akumal............much better diving. Probably about 30 min or so south of where you're going to be.

Returned from honeymooning in Playa on the 21st of this month. Playa and points south are some very good diving.

We stayed at the Sandos Playacar which is currently the furthest south AI resort before you get to Xcaret. There are no resorts between where we stayed and Xcaret....

There is enough snorkeling and reef diving sites within a half hour of Playa to keep you busy for a month and you have yet to dive inland on the cenotes.

We will be in the area, not to far from you Feb 4 - 16 doing several days of diving with Paul from Wetset out of Puerto Morelos. We have a small group of divers/friends that are gathering during this time. Some days there will be 6 of us but other's just my husband and I.

If you interested PM me, we have arranged some group rates that are rather good if you would like to join up with us. My husband and I have 20 + dives, and the rest of the group is newly certified (3) and 1 other with about 5-6 dives. We also plan on doing 1 day that we will catch the ferry to Cozumel and go diving.

Countdown, 9 days to go :)

I heard you all mention Dressel divers. Anyone use them before? Wife and I are staying at an Iberostar property in May and are really newbies so we want to find a shop that will take our newness into account. Thanks!

Yes, I have used them. I actually went over a couple of days and did my IDC at their resort. They were very friendly and had nice equipment. The people that did their IE with them were happy with them too. They would be good if you don't mind paying a little more for using someone close to you. If your on a budget use someone downtown. If your doing several dives you could save quite a bit.

fedexman, my buddy and I will be down again in May with our wives(non-divers) for our fourth year. We'll be staying @ the Secrets Capri near PDC. We actually spend a little more to take a cab to Puerto Morelos to dive with Dive Puerto Morelos. We like them so much. Sometimes, we're the only ones on the boat. If you want personalized attention, you'll get it. We do 3 days diving there and go over to Cozumel on the ferry for 3 days diving. What days will you be there?

Is all the diving off the Riviera Maya boat diving, like Cozumel, or can you do some reasonable diving from shore?

TSandM:
Is all the diving off the Riviera Maya boat diving, like Cozumel, or can you do some reasonable diving from shore?
All the diving I've done has been boat diving because you need to go out to where the reef is. There's also several intentionally sunk "wrecks" that are easily accessible by boat.

Back
Top Bottom