Knighthawk vs. Axis vs. Excursion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sroot17

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Can anyone help identify the pros, cons and differences between the Scubapro Knighthawk, Sherwood Axis and Oceanic Excursion besides price and lift capacity?

Thanks!!

I'll throw in my .02 on the Knighthawk vs. Excursion which are very similar IMHO. No experience with Sherwood.

Knighthawk: Expensive but very well designed. Better tank strap buckle system. Scubapro seems to value the LDS relationship more than the customer.

Excursion: Very comfortable fit. Good placement of D-rings, weight release system. Oceanic has good presence on this Board and great customer service.

You can't go wrong with either one. I almost bought the Knighthawk until a 50% off deal came my way on the Excursion.

Knighthawk user here. I am also new to this BC coming from a Pro QD+. What I found out to be true with the back inflate is I have to sway a certain direction to get the bubble where it feels like I am not rolling to one side. Im not sure if you dove with a back inflate before, but it is entirely a foreign feeling from the jacket style squeez.

Also, I recently discovered on the Knighthawk that I have to dip my shoulder a certain way to get the dump valve to work. Same goes for the power inflater to release air. However, I have come to a conclusion that I stop using the power inflator to release air-it just doesn't cut it. I either have to be completely vertical or stop what I am doing and move the bubble to the low pressure hose...:no NOT MY FORTE.

Next, the Knighthawk, as stated above has a secure tank strap, a little adjustments here and there to get the right fit on your tank and you're set. Try it on, and feel the way the should straps touch the top of your shoulders. This is where I feel its uncomfortable. Remind yourself, this is on the surface, when you are underwater this changes.

At first, I felt it was indeniably the worst BC, now after some more dives I am starting to adjust how I dive and put weight where it needs to be. (trims, +/- in either weight pockets, etc..)

I hope this helped.

Thanks for the help! I really like the Knighthawk but as a travelling diver that only makes a few trips a year I think I'm going to have to go with the Axis. The Knighthawk at my LDS is $544 vs. the axis at $375. Can't really beat that deal.

Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom