Help!!! Questions!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm starting toward DM as soon as my LDS owner gets the class rolling (like a daughter getting married and finishing building his new house were excuses! :wink:), and I must say that if you want to be able to form opinions, you really have three places to look.

Look in books (NOAA, Navy, and onward), where you'll find lots of in-depth knowledge. That'll get you the background you need if you're going to understand what comes next.

Next, of course, is to get to know guys who work on the stuff. You can get lots of useful anecdotal information from a shop tech that sees oodles of regs a year and knows what comes in for service and why. Some of this might be the shop guy's opinions clouding his judgement (usually stuff like "every [whatever] is crap"), but what you learned from the books will help you identify any of that. (It'll also help you be able to carry on a conversation with the tech without him feeling he needs to baby-talk you.)

Then, get the everyman opinions. You can find them here, and you can gather them in person. (What diver would refuse to laud or loathe their gear if asked during the surface interval?) Of course, if a diver on the beach says a reg is pathetic, perhaps that's just because he's a hideous diver. Looking at it in the light of the first two parts will help you find the kernels of truth amongst the chaff. (Sometimes, you'll even come across a random diver who happens to know *precisely* what he's talking about; by having worked through the first two phases, you'll likely be able to spot him and properly value his commentary.)

As for me, it'll be a while before I get to instructor, and it'll be sometime later this year before I hope to be divemaster, but I've been doing the background work. I just got my PSI VCI/ECT certs, for example, and I found I learned quite a bit by doing so. (I knew the basics, of course, but I now have a *much* more thorough understanding.)

The other day, I was in the shop with a friend of mine (now a checkout away from his first card). I was pointing things out to him and helping him avoid some all-too-common problems with a first set of gear, when the owner told me that I really ought to write out all my little notes so they can pass the little tidbits of advice on to other new divers, since I seem to always have some little useful comment. I was supremely complimented by a long-time instructor and LDS owner saying that to me, and it reassured me that I have gathered knowledge and experience that I can contribute as I progress to DM (and later beyond).

If you need to ask what is "cool" you have a long way to go. You should be asking what is the best option for the type of diving I plan to do. BTW if you plan on freelance instructing what are you going to use for your students rental gear? Or are you going to have them rent from your lds in order to keep your costs down while taking training business from them? If you want to do it the right way you may need to take out a business loan, buy several sets of gear that your students can use(minimum of 4) to start in varying sizes. Seasoft makes a bc that is adjustable from 80 to 200lb divers. I think they are about 500 each. Then 4 reg sets at 700 each with octo, lp hose and analog guage set up. And now you will need gear insurance as well as pro liability. Then where will you do the classes? Pool work? OW checkout dives? What educational materials will you carry on hand to get the students started? How much money does your other job pay? because with your current dive business plan you will need it.

OK, This is my last response on this thread, thank you very much to the FEW people that answered the question constructively, Now, for the rest of you, I am just as good of a diver as you are, I am more than capable than most candidates. NOW, your self-righteousness, though a little annoying, is appreciated, but, you are barking up the wrong tree.

I am someone that is taking this very seriously, the internet and forums is for relaxation time for me, I realize I asked the question in kind of a relaxed slang way, by asking what is 'cool', but I figured that anyone that is cool enough to help would get it.

I don't think ANY ONE knows everything about the various features of every different brand, and if you do, WOW, when do you have time to dive?

I am not big on brand name anything, I am all about function, yes I know how regs, etc. function and I know quite a few features of various models that I have been exposed to, but I am looking to know more.

NOW, I asked the question and got a bunch of self righteous answers.

I AM A DIVER, end of story, I surf in freezing waters during gale warnings on lake Michigan too in the dead of winter, I am in excellent shape and I understand the importance of my attention to detail when I am in the position of being a responsible party. I have an edge, I push it myself, BUT I understand that I must stay well within the comfort zone, safety zone, and learning zone of any students I will have.

I said that I don't know crap about anything when it comes to equipment to convey that I wanted any and all opinions REGARDING GEAR.

I figured I would ask in open forum so I don't get a bunch of responses from people who just bought something and love it, only because they paid money for it... I wanted answers from people that time tested their equipment and might have some complaints.

Anyway, Thanks to a few of you, everyone else, you should really focus on your own short comings, because you have some.

Oh and my question about features wasn't what's the difference between side inflating BC's and Back inflating BC's, it was more about what are cool trendy features that are new, like the lever inflator/deflator on the I3.... Things like that.

That may be why I got so many responses like I did, and if that is the misunderstanding than I apologize.

Fist things first I guess..

Gear:

Read about it. Scuba mag has good reviews which compares and rates Reg's of similar cost to each other and will give you some numbers to think about. Oceanic Zeta, Delta 3/4 and Poseidon Extreme / Cyclone are fantastic Regs and I've used both in the tropics and 36 degree water. There are other good reg's too but you need to read and understand how they work or no matter what you have, you won't trully be able to talk about them.

Reading:

I would recommend AGAINST reading anything other than your agencies materials before you complete your goals. Standards compared to NOAA and the Navy are NOT the same. You'll only confuse yourself and get into trouble if you read them now. Later is good, but finish your goal first.

Your Comments:

It is a perception that you are giving "us" by the way you stated your question and made your comments that give me (and us I think) the impression you are getting in over your head too fast. The bottom line is you're going to have students asking you the same question you've asked us and you should have a good, fact based answer.

Advice:

Stick with your LDS for a couple of years. They will make you aware of concerns you never thought of, help you out of situations you didn't see coming and help you prevent problems before they happen. The comment about "your abilities" makes me doubt your ability from the get-go because you're assuming you have nothing else to learn once you get your Instructor Cert which is not true.

Do you have any experience with students at all? Your diving ability has nothing to do with diving with students; the two just aren't the same.

Take the warning and advice some of the comments here are giving you and the advice I'm restating.

Slow down, spend a year working with students as a DM, then get your Instructor Cert and spend another year or so with the SUPPORT of a store and staff that has "been there, done that" and can help you see and avoid problems and deal with them if they happen.

I could have gotten my Instructor Cert 4 years ago without a problem; I certainly had the dive experience for it. Me diving and me diving with students the past 4 years as a TA and DM made me ready for being an Instructor now, not the dives back then, so I waited and I'll have my Instructor cert this simmer.

You’re talking more like a student with your comments and arrogance than a dive leader.

By your words, I should be charging you for my advice and so should everyone else; if your skills have “value” then our “knowledge” certainly does.

PS: There is no "lever" on a BC. Cool and trendy have nothing to do with diving, Form, fit, function and performance do. It's called a "vest", not side inflated. Grow up.

SharkDiver36:
Fist things first I guess..

PS: There is no "lever" on a BC. Cool and trendy have nothing to do with diving, Form, fit, function and performance do. It's called a "vest", not side inflated. Grow up.

Lever on a bc here

CJ Waid:
OK, This is my last response on this thread, thank you very much to the FEW people that answered the question constructively,
The most constructive answer that anyone could ever give you is that you do not appear ready to be a diving instructor.

CJ Waid:
I don't think ANY ONE knows everything about the various features of every different brand, and if you do, WOW, when do you have time to dive?

I am not big on brand name anything, I am all about function, yes I know how regs, etc. function and I know quite a few features of various models that I have been exposed to, but I am looking to know more.
No, oc course not, but every instructor on the board knows the general feature of all the equipment and the proper nomenclature.

CJ Waid:
NOW, I asked the question and got a bunch of self righteous answers.
If you find those answers self rightous that means that you will not listen, but it also proves your critics right.

CJ Waid:
I AM A DIVER, end of story, I surf in freezing waters during gale warnings on lake Michigan too in the dead of winter, I am in excellent shape and I understand the importance of my attention to detail when I am in the position of being a responsible party. I have an edge, I push it myself, BUT I understand that I must stay well within the comfort zone, safety zone, and learning zone of any students I will have.
You maybe a great diver, you may be a great personal trainer, but you are not demonstrating what it takes to be a diving instructor.

CJ Waid:
I said that I don't know crap about anything when it comes to equipment to convey that I wanted any and all opinions REGARDING GEAR.
It appears that you were right, you don't know crap. And I fear that you don't know crap about the most important thing, that there are significant things that you don't know.

I want to know more about this new side inflating BC. When did it come out - who makes - come'on guys I want to know everthing about it.:D

The lever on the BC has got to be the coolest.:14: So simple too.:14: Press it up to go up - down to go down.:14:

And all along I thought this was so much more complex.:confused:

:D:wink::wink::wink:

tedj01:
I want to know more about this new side inflating BC. When did it come out - who makes - come'on guys I want to know everthing about it.:D

The lever on the BC has got to be the coolest.:14: So simple too.:14: Press it up to go up - down to go down.:14:

And all along I thought this was so much more complex.:confused:

:D:wink::wink::wink:
I love the smell of sarcasm in the morning ... it smells like ... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom