Apeks XTX20 or Aqualung Titan LX ? which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fede

New
Reaction score
Hi all, I want to buy my firs reg/octo/analog gaouges set. I've read both regs description and reviews but I can't decide between Apeks XTX20 or Aqualung Titan LX. Both are at the same price range, so which one would you choose?
(I am AOW with 30 dives and I dive on warm water, 60-100 ft)
THANKS A LOT !!!!
PS
what octo can I use with both? can I buy any?

i have a titan lx with an abs octo for my recreational rig, i love it, the titan lx breaths great at any depth, and the titan first stage is pretty much bulletproof.

I have 3 Titan LX's and 1 Apeks ATX 20. The ATX 20 is essentially the same as the XTX 20, except for the reversable inlet on the second stage. I have approximately 900 dives on the Titan LX's and about 20 on the Apeks, which I have only had for a few months. Both have balanced second stages. The Apeks is a slightly easier breather, but, possibly because of my having more extensive experience with it, I prefer the Titan LX. My LX's have been virtually trouble free, and I dive quite a few dives between services. Also, in North America and the Caribbean, service/parts for the Titan would probably be easier to obtain if needed.

Both regs have excellent reputations for quality, which seem to be founded in fact. Since neither is overbalanced, and since both use approximately the same intermediate pressure (130 to 145), just about any octo should work with either. The octo should, however, be tuned to the reg.

Right now Aqua Lung is offering their free octo program. Go to authorized dealer and you can get the free octo for either one of those

thanks for your advices... I think I'll go with the aqualung...
SB rocks!

Also just wanted to note that Apeks is also offering the same free octo deal also.. Well, Apeks is distributed by Aqualung so..yeah..

Also just wanted to note that Apeks is also offering the same free octo deal also.. Well, Apeks is distributed by Aqualung so..yeah..

Aqualung has a better high pressure seat, otherwise the same. Aqualung owns APEKS so not much different. It depends on the technician who puts it together. There is a bit of leeway when you put the units back together. It can be tuned to the way you like it to breath.

I dived abut 200 dives on a Titan LX before it was stolen in Belize and about half that on an ATX20 sometime later. The XTX20 might interest me because of the option of a wider exhaust tee but for an all purpose, no-nonsense reg that works great without any fuss I would probably buy another Titan LX.

---------- Post added September 18th, 2013 at 05:04 PM ----------

Incidentally, for a good octopus to match either reg I would go with Apeks instead and get the Apeks Egress- they really are a surprisingly good breath for a puck style unit and the no-right-way up design makes donating (or using it yourself) very easy and fast compared to a standard type second stage.

6 yo thread and AL has changed the design of the Titan since then...:)

Buy the one you like the look of or the one that best meets your budget. I own Apeks and have no complaints but both are great regs you won't go wring with either.

---------- Post added September 18th, 2013 at 08:37 PM ----------

Damn, caught again...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom