Air Fill Argument

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I don't understand this air fill argument. The main reason people will tell you to shop at an LDS is because of service. The number one thing they present to use is air fills, hell I can go to a local sporting goods store to get a fill for a few bucks. I'm sorry, but I can't justify spending hundreds sometimes thousands more for the same gear, so I can get air fills.

Now, I know several will say they offer other services like trying the gear etc.. If you buy gear from scuba toys or Leisure Pro and don't like it send it back. I just don't see what real benefit an LDS can offer.

I do appreciate someone starting up their dream job, opening a shop and all. However, it is not my fault if they go under due to a bad business model i.e. overpriced gear

I say we let schools i.e. colleges teach people to dive and let students buy their gear online. When you need an air fill go to the local sporting goods store. If people want to buy their gear for over inflated prices to support their dive shop buddies, then I am all for it. However, don't bash others who want to save their hard earned cash for other things, in particular tropical trips :)

+1 I couldn't agree with this more. I get sick of hearing people trying to cram the LDS down our throats.

I'm curious as to just how many sporting good stores really have the ability to fill tanks. Around this area and probably most other cities, the chance is slim to none.

robbcayman:
I don't understand this air fill argument. The main reason people will tell you to shop at an LDS is because of service. The number one thing they present to use is air fills, hell I can go to a local sporting goods store to get a fill for a few bucks. I'm sorry, but I can't justify spending hundreds sometimes thousands more for the same gear, so I can get air fills.

Now, I know several will say they offer other services like trying the gear etc.. If you buy gear from scuba toys or Leisure Pro and don't like it send it back. I just don't see what real benefit an LDS can offer.

I do appreciate someone starting up their dream job, opening a shop and all. However, it is not my fault if they go under due to a bad business model i.e. overpriced gear

I say we let schools i.e. colleges teach people to dive and let students buy their gear online. When you need an air fill go to the local sporting goods store. If people want to buy their gear for over inflated prices to support their dive shop buddies, then I am all for it. However, don't bash others who want to save their hard earned cash for other things, in particular tropical trips :)

Well, here in Michigan, we don't have any "local sporting goods stores" that have an air fill station and if they did I wouldn't trust that it was maintained properly for breathing gas.

I don't think any sporting good stores are gonna have He or 100% O2 with a booster either

^^

Agreed. More often than not, the shops are yoru only source of local air. It's just not profitable for a sporting good to dedicate money/space if the local diving community isn't big enough.

Sounds good, but there's nowhere near enough schools to meet demand, not to mention that a college course is totally out of the question for a lot of people. Considering this, you're going to have instructor-based retail shops popping up anyway. If you don't like them, don't shop there.

robbcayman:
I say we let schools i.e. colleges teach people to dive and let students buy their gear online.

Nice manifesto... :popcorn: ... and... ????

robbcayman:
However, don't bash others who want to save their hard earned cash for other things, in particular tropical trips :)

WHAT!!! You stiffling my freedom of speach???

As long as those who feel a need to preach the glories of the people's internet over the repressive imperalistic mom & pop LDS, I shall, if for no other reason than because its fun... stand to the defense of the small dive shop operator attempting to scratch out a meger living amidst the evil empire of the mystical marketplace known as 'the internet'... :popcorn: :popcorn:

I say let each make his own bed as is to his liking (give me an 'amen'...) but not wave his bed sheets as a banner triumphant... (howz'about another 'amen'???)... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I say to everything there is a season... and while the LDS may be more expensive and limited in the scope of its merchandising... IT IS JUST DOWN THE STREET brothers and sisters and woe be it unto him who tries to sit down and network with the mysterious faces and unknown qualities of the internet merchant... Yea... I say unto you... try to get an air fill over the internet... try to have somebody on the internet 'checkout' yer rig to assist you in figgurin' out why ya' got this or that discomboobulation happenin' in your divin' universe... (give me a "Thank you Jaques Cousteau...") :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I say unto you... ummm.... was there a question associated with this thread???

Support em' all... BUY till' your credid card smokes...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom