West Bank Park Mapping Operation - Soliciting Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll bring my canoe, paddles, PFD's and all the gallon milk jugs you could ever possibly need!

It'll have to be in May, my April dance card is filled.

the K

May it is. Remember though by late May (ie Memorial Day weekend)the Lake coves will be filling up with people faster than rednecks at a free Nascar race! I'm serious!

Also boat traffic will be heavy too. And the vis. will go to heck so it will be more of a challenge. However, I say we try to set a date for early May. And get started early in the morning.

J:

That's a plan, Stan . . .

Each diver needs to supply his own spool of masonry line.

A good way to handle the jug/line thing is to measure off "X" feet of line. Tie one end to the handle of the jug and then push the remainder of the line into the mouth of the jug leaving the end to be tied off sticking our a bit. This allows you to pull a bit of line from the jug, tie it off and launch the jug without fouling the line as it deploys. It also eliminates the need to hold a spool of line as the jug ascends and hope that it doesn't screw up!

the K

The Kraken:
Y'all can ALL :10: my :mooner: !!!

That's all I got to say 'bout that !!!

the K-not Tier
You know we love you K, Allen and I feel that since the line tie happened to us, we should be able to give you heck about it.:10:

Hey I got a video for you of the "O" trip, so let me know when I can get it to you.

Kyle

Thanks, KP ! ! !
Just let me know when you'll be in the area and I'll buy ya a brewski !!!

the K

Flightlead:
i perhaps someone could actually try a milk jug test

The milk jugs will work fine, especially the yellow Mayfield jugs, hi viz on the surface. Once flooded they are easy to transport and after a few squirts of air they zoom right up.

Kyle and I watched our jug float all over Lanier after the failed K-not. It kind of had us worried at first, after surfacing and seeing our jug a 100 yards away from us. We thought, damn how much line did K have on that jug.

Gotta admit, that was funny !!!

That stupid poly line is a bugger to tie into a knot that will hold.

the K-not Challenged

The Kraken:
Gotta admit, that was funny !!!

That stupid poly line is a bugger to tie into a knot that will hold.

the K-not Challenged

I know what you mean. I almost had the same problem yesterday with my dive flag. I forgot my reel and used one of the poly rope spool thingys. Tied everything off and then geared up. When I picked up the flag I noticed the knots were loosened. So I threw in a couple more half hitches and a double overhand and was good to go.

Hi,
If you ever need an excuse or a reason to dive Lanier, just email me! I am building a website on Lanier, and would welcome any information about the floor. I came out to a dive site last fall and met a few of your members and took pictures. I really enjoyed meeting divers and the information they offered.

What would you like to see on a website of Lake Lanier?

What information would be beneficial to you? Is the map you are making something that you would allow me to publish on my website? The prototype will be working May 31, 2007, and I'm working on the project scope here.

sandy@sandynichols.net
sandynichols.net

I was in a discussion the other night with a local dive shop owner about this project. He was telling me that DNR/Parks Dept/The Man is not real happy about divers in the lake. In particular that if they know where divers have run lines they will remove them. I would like the local dive community to have the map, but I don't want DNR to pull up all the lines. I think putting the URL for the map on a sign on the 80' platform or somewhere similar would make it more likely that only interested divers would get it. Or am I being paranoid?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom