Tank Boots, Boats and DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Defining the term "unnecessary" occasionally comes down to who owns the boat.

thank goodness somebody said that. PVC laid down with rope strung through the rungs, works for our cough, cough, "steel double guests".

(on top of rubber industrial kitchen floor mats or Dry Deck modular matting)

Hey Aaron,

You did read my post didn't you? I hate to see anyone mindlessly regurgitate a GI3 rant. But I did almost hear your heels click together before you responded while standing at attention. "Sir, the diver understands that tank boots are both unnecessary and trap water which causes corrosion problems, Sir!" :D I am sorry Aaron, but I couldn't resist! Friends still? FWIW- I own and have read all of the GUE manuals. I think they're great.

I have condemned cylinders with excessive wear and pitting due to not having boots. Probably just as many as the one's that failed due to Faber's boot/paint problem.

Mine don't trap water (they are completely open on the bottom) and do protect the bottoms against wearing through the zinc. Therefore they may not be necessary, but are helpful. I say "To each his own" but this is why I do it my way. I don't care if I look like JJ from behind to the next team member behind me at Eagle's Nest @ 280ffw (and yes, I have dived it).

FWIW- I teach the IANTD and TDI VIP/O2 Service Technician class to both new technicians and instructor's who plan to teach the VIP/O2 Tech. course and have worked in a hydro facility. I am also a Trimix IT, so I am familiar with using this stuff in the real world.

Uh, ok. I'm a lemming. I guess you didn't read the rest of the thread where I was disagreeing with a GUE instructor. I love how the naysayers say that I'm a lemming when it's convenient, and then the lemmings say that I'm a naysayer. Which one is it? LOL

I've got a steel 72 that has had a boot all it's life...obviously. It's rusted and pitted (only below the boot) and I'm probably going to pull it out of service this year because I don't think it will pass my VIP (yes, I'm a PSI inspector, too).

On the other hand, my 130s had a boot on them for about 6 months and, 3 years later, I can still see where the boot was.

It's not a big deal, I keep the boots on my singles because the risk of them falling is much much greater than the possibility of them having a short life. My doubles without boots don't fall over and I've never had a problem with them on boats.

Soggy:
Uh, ok. I'm a lemming. I guess you didn't read the rest of the thread where I was disagreeing with a GUE instructor. I love how the naysayers say that I'm a lemming when it's convenient, and then the lemmings say that I'm a naysayer. Which one is it? LOL quote]

I don't think you or I are either. I was just poking fun at the split second, knee jerk response. That's it, period end.

BTW- I thought they gave out those PSI certs to every third person that walked through the door at BTS. Has something changed?

Norseman1:
I was just poking fun at the split second, knee jerk response.

On the internet, how do you know a response is a split-second knee-jerk response? Even in real life, how can you tell if a response doesn't have years of agonizing over minutae behind it? Aren't you just projecting your impression that it was a split-second thoughtless reply?

lamont:
On the internet, how do you know a response is a split-second knee-jerk response? Even in real life, how can you tell if a response doesn't have years of agonizing over minutae behind it? Aren't you just projecting your impression that it was a split-second thoughtless reply?
Ya might wanna sit this one out hoss
:popcorn:

Norseman1:
BTW- I thought they gave out those PSI certs to every third person that walked through the door at BTS. Has something changed?

That's quite funny coming from someone who teaches the IANTD and TDI course.

MaxBottomtime:
GI once said the reason for the no boots rule was that he was seeing too many Florida cave divers standing their tanks up on the picnic benches, where they risked falling over. I got tired of having my steel doubles slipping, falling and shifting while trying to put them on while sitting on the gunnel of a boat. I put the boots back on. I guess that makes me a stroke, but I don't really care.:)

:hmmm:

nadwidny:
That's quite funny coming from someone who teaches the IANTD and TDI course.

Any course is only as good as the person teaching it. FWIW- I am also a PSI Instructor.

What part of the IANTD or TDI courses do you find lacking?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom