log book checks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howarde:
I've only been asked for C-Cards at a small handful of operations, and one of the times I was asked for it and didn't have it; they still let me dive. (maybe $3000 worth of UW photography equipment is a clue??) .

Just about the same here. I can still hear the shop owner telling the DM to let me go as I had a full Nikonos rig with a 2mm lens, etc in my hand and my own reg around my neck, all with a "used" look.

I used to keep a photo log, but it was technical - roll number, f-stops, film speed, exposures settings, etc, nothing on what most people would have in a dive log. Do you think that would do?

Most vacation/resort operations just want to be sure this isn't your first dive in years. I have no objection to their asking, however I would not be so happy if they denied me diving based on some subjective analysis of my log (or absence of) book. I would hope dive operations state clearly their requirements on-line or when you book the dive.

If I sign a waiver and pay my money they have two choices, let me dive or refund my trip.
I do regret not keeping my original logs from years ago.

Dave

I've actually been in shops when other divers were asked to show dives....usually they were OW only, and wanted to do Advanced dives; ie the back wall at molokini, and the Spiegal Grove (Conch Republic), and in NC doing deep wrecks, but (I) my group wasn't not asked. And I believe a pair of divers were asked to swap from the Spiegal to a different dive then do the Spiegal later in the week....

waterpirate:
Just got back from a trip to fla. I have not kept a log book in years, and having just started traveling and diving where i am not known, I have yet to be asked to produce one.
The most prevalant protocol is sign my waiver, let me see your c card. Has anyone been asked to produce thier log book? Has anyone been denied a dive based on thier c card?
Just curious what other peoples experiances have been, good and bad.
Eric
Never been asked to show a log, which is good, because its digital, and I quit logging after a few hundred. Many people in the dive industry can read people, and adjust requirements. For example, someone who rents all their gear vs bringing their own, or the quality of the gear theyre using. You can also simply ask someone, and see if they are lying.

We were asked for our logbooks in Tobermory, Ontario in 2005. When we went back in 2006 they remembered us and did not ask again. We were planning to dive the "Arabia" and they wanted proof of deep cold water experience, preferably recent. One diver had forgotten his logbook and had not brought a c-card either. He didn't get to go out on that dive.
Ber :lilbunny:

I was asked to show my logbook in Cuba last month. As soon as they saw that my most recent dive was 2 weeks prior and was under the ice here in Canada, they quickly handed back my logbook, said I was nuts, and told me to enjoy my dives.

Paco:
Some places (like AKR in Roatan) ask divers to jump in a the dock, remove their reg and flood their mask before they take them out. I don't rmember a log book check, however.

Thats BS, give me the waiver and let me sign my life away, that kind of crap would make me use another dive shop, don't babysit me

May wife and I were asked once in Roatan. I don't think not having it would have made much difference. He had just had a bad experience a couple days prior with a diver who had lied to him about his experience level.

The only questions I get (out side of let me see your C-Card) are; when was your last dive, and how many dives have you made in the last 6 months. So far, never requested to see a log book (though I do keep one).

How should a dive Op honor a OW diver with 200+ logged dives as opposed to a AOW diver with 25 dives?

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom