Diving from Cooktown QLD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueSun

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everybody,
I posted this query over on diveoz but got no response. Im not surprised because its a long shot but I thought Id give it a try here instead! My husband and I are heading to Cooktown for five days in a few weeks for business and I'd LOVE to get a day trip in.
Has anyone ever been diving out of Cooktown Queensland? Obviously there are the plethora of boats out of Pt Douglas and Cairns that visit the Ribbon Reefs etc, but Im talking about charters from Cooktown itself. I know the Rum Runner departs from Cape Tribulation, but it's too far from where we're staying.
Any suggestions on operators/clubs or are we dreaming!?
Cheers, Caitlin

Superform:
ummm...

the booze bus might be running on a friday afternoon...
Cheers... thanks for that Superform... :rolleyes: :wink:

Well, it seems there is little diving going on from Cooktown... which is strange given they are the closest mainland town to the GBR...

Maybe there are too many crocs out on the reef to run a safe trip out there? Cooktown is a small town, I don't know what kind of tourist traffic they get there but maybe its not profitable?

Chris

oops sorry.. i might have been really drunk when i typed that.. it makes no sense..

umm as for cooktown it doesnt have the facilities a large dive operation needs to run out of cooktown.. and it wouldnt have the divers needed for a small operation out of cooktown. cooktown is lose lose for divers

Cheers for the responses guys...

Superform:
oops sorry.. i might have been really drunk when i typed that.. it makes no sense..
LOL - no worries
Superform:
umm as for cooktown it doesnt have the facilities a large dive operation needs to run out of cooktown.. and it wouldnt have the divers needed for a small operation out of cooktown. cooktown is lose lose for divers
RasRitz:
Maybe there are too many crocs out on the reef to run a safe trip out there? Cooktown is a small town, I don't know what kind of tourist traffic they get there but maybe its not profitable?
Superform, you're definately right regarding large dive operations - but Cooktown is growing big time since the road was sealed, both in tourism and permanent populatio nwhich is currently 3000. Regardless, it does seem that there is no dedicated commercial dive operations - mainly fishing charters that will take divers for a price.

Chris, I dont know much about the dive industry (!) but Im sure there are smaller towns offering less "marketable" diving and viable dive shops... please correct me if I have no idea what Im talking about! :colgate: Re: crocs, I was thinking about the ribbon reefs, rather than coastal waters.
kempster1:
After a bit of work on Google
http://www.totaltravel.com.au/link.asp?fid=521581
Or
Have a look in the cooktown online community directory
There is a dive club listed in the sport and rec area, contact them for help
http://www.cook.qld.gov.au/community...ectory2007.pdf
Thanks for this kempster. I contacted PB a few weeks back and unfortunately the boat has been sold and no longer "lives" in Cooktown. Ive been in touch with the Cooktown Dive Club and been referred on so we'll see what happens!

Cheers everyone!
Caitlin

Chris, I dont know much about the dive industry (!) but Im sure there are smaller towns offering less "marketable" diving and viable dive shops... please correct me if I have no idea what Im talking about! :colgate: Re: crocs, I was thinking about the ribbon reefs, rather than coastal waters.

Hi Caitlin,

I honestly don't know too much about the dive industry either as i only caught the dive bug a few months ago and have been obsessed ever since. :D And as far as the crocs, I could be completly wrong. I thought I heard somewhere that up north the salties go pretty far out to the reefs.....I just googled it and I can't find anything about crocs on the ribbon reefs. So scratch that theory.:)
Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom