Scuba Diving's Snipe Hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Everyone,

Here in MD we just call all of this stuff you guys are doing sending someone on "A Wild Goose Chase". I never knew there were other ways to put it. I don't know how you might do this scuba diving. Maybe after a shallow dive, tell everyone you lost your "(think of a good name for a piece of scuba gear that doesn't exist and be ready to explain what it is)". You might even tell them it is very expensive and offer a reward if they find "it" Ask anyone who was diving with your group if they have enough air left to go down and search for "it" for you and let them go down to find "it" for you. I'm sure you need to consider the safty involved in this idea and make sure they go down with a buddy. The buddy could be in on it or not. You'd get a two for one if they both believed it. It would be really funny to give them a general area to look and watch them go down with a dive flag float to see all of the places they might swim while down there searching. Hey yeah and video tape it for later!Just make sure what you do is considered SAFE! Think it through first!

Well now I just want to know what ideas you all might have to call "it" and how to explain what you might want to call "it".. any ideas? And what "Safe" scenerio you can think of?

You could just send them back to the scuba shop to get a piece of equipment that doesn't exist before you pull out.

Mo2vation:
Its a Left-handed Smoke Shifter.

Its a Bacon Stretcher.

Who else was in Scouts? C'mon... there are a zillion of them.

The Scuba Version? I dunno... probably "sure, tank down that second glass of Ice Tea on the SI...."

---
Ken

The smoke shifter doesn't work unless you have a Skyhook to hang it on.

Hey. now that its spring, isn't it time to let out the winter air and add summer air to your tires? They look kinda low.

hehe

How about sending someone for fin grease.. U know the stuff you put on fins so they can move underwater? I am having a hard time thinking of any good ones :-

A technician I know talks about sending people for the o-ring magnet, so they pick up that bag of o-rings they just spilled.

There's plenty of stuff you can send someone out for:
  • "Fin wash" for when you're in silty environments.
  • "Mask clear" so you can see better.
  • "Back rolls" to pad your plate so it doesn't hurt.
  • "Compass bearings" to replace the sticky ones in your old compass.
(and the list could go on...)

Now were on the right track..... Lets take this one step further, other then sending newbees for non exsistant items what other "Wild Goose Chases" have you sent them/been sent on?

Our snipe hunting usually consisted of having the mark hold a white Pillow case, because the snipe were attracted to white, and hold their flashlight on it. then we would go around and throw sticks at the pillow case.

"wild goose chases" Geee how many can I remember:

Shelf Strecher in the grocery
Sky Hook for the Carpenter
Bravo-Alpha 1100 November and an ST-ring or BA1100N and string
In the Marines we sent new Devil Dogs for "Hummer Keys" Anyone that has been in a Military Hummer knows they don't have keys
I think the best "Wild goose chase" was sending the new guys for a PRC-O3 (not going to pronouce that one, this is a family board)
We got in some trouble for telling the new guys that the number to Head Quarters was NinetyOne Fourteen (911 4)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom