What's wrong with Split Fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
Background: After reading, and contributing to this thread (and many others) I am a world renown Split fin vs. Paddle fin expert!

Theory: Split fins RULE.

Analysis: I read a LOT online! I dive sometimes as well

Conclusion: ALL the experts on the subject have come to the same conclusion that NO ONE seems to know which fin works better! Any expert is generally ruled as someone with less than third grad intelligence by OTHER experts! All that aside, ScubaDiving Magazine says Apollo Biofins are the BEST fins in the world, so it must be true.

More Proof: I dive Apollo BioFins.

Even more proof: I've never seen a Dolphin wearing Jet fins, but I did see a Dolphin with an Apollo Biofin in it's mouth. Obviously he/she was stealing this fin to enhance finning ability!

So there you have it, and with luck this will close this and ALL future threads on the subject! :mooner:

Sounds every bit as reasonable as any scubalab test:D

robertarak:
DISCLAIMER: The following comes from a brand new diver with no experience or expertise.

It occurs to me that most, if not all finning technique were developed with the use of paddle type fins for use with paddle type fins. It would make sence that paddle fins would be the right impliment for those techniques. However, since the advent of the split fin, I would hope that new techniques have been developed to make use of the new technology. Testing a "paddle manuver" with a split fin would be an unfair test. Now, with all that said, ARE there specialized techniques associated with the split fins?

I agree that trying to use a paddle with a split up the middle as a paddle is an unfair test but there are only so many ways you can move your feet.

I do have some ideas though. If you want to use split fins to move backwards, you should propably be wearing them on your hands.

I can think of a couple of ways to make precise quick response turns using them. One would be to use your hands to help. It must work because I see lots of split fin divers divers doing it. Another method might be to attatch a big rudder to you rear bumper and just flutter kick like mad in the forward direction using the rudder to steer.

so far, we have a pair on our feet for fluttering forward and a par on our hands for fluttering backwary and a big rudder on our tail for turning. What else do we need to address?

Oh...current...To make them work in current, the thing to do is to go with the current instead of against it and keep your feet still. This also solves the silting problem.

My own prefered approach has been to leave them buried in the garage. Since no one can find them, I could even deny that I ever baught them if I need to.

:D

OK, I admit I've never tried split find but having seen people struggle to fight currents in them, I'm inclined to give them a wide berth.
I started with Mares avanti tres which weren't bad, upgraded to avanti quattro excel's (leaving present from my old job) & they were fab!
The I tried good old fashioned jetfins & they were fantastic! I have weak ankles & these fins were recommended to me by a colleauge as I often used to get ankle pain with the Mares. I admit the jetfins took a week or so to get used to but now I wouldn't go back as I have no ankle pain, a definite bonus when you dive everyday. My work involves photographing students so I need something that provides plenty of power & manouverability.
At the end of the day, the fins that suit you are the ones that suit the environment that you're going to be diving in. See if your LDS will let you try the fins on your open water dives, after all, there's no current or silt in a normal swimming pool.

Happy diving

YellowfinKunkfish:
Okay, it's time for my first newbie post, and probably a stupid question, BUT here goes! I was reading the orange shovel thread, and noticed a few people don't like split fins, why?? My OW class is in less than a month, and I've been planning on buying split fins. Mainly because I'm not that strong of a swimmer, and it sounds like they would help me out a lot. Is there some reason split fins would not be a good decision? I also saw several comments about spring straps? My husband has both split fins, and spring straps, and he loves them! All I know is on my discover scuba dive in the Bahamas I had horrible tiny fins, that were not split, and had a really hard time staying afloat. (of course it didn't help that my instructor kept letting air out of my bc, causing me to be stuck on the bottom) It seems like everytime I've decided on what equipment I want, I read something that makes me doubt that decision. I have yet to read anything bad about split fins, so please tell me why people don't like them, so I can make my decision! :shakehead

You will, most likely, get the Jet fin finatics, the others who say that split fins do not work in current etc. Same old same old. \

We were the first company to introduce the new technology to the SCUBA market. We used polyurethane, polymer compounds etc. We, finally, settled on 100% pure natural rubber. The result, a world class fin that has been rated first in multiple tests, year after year. If you like "stiff" the bio-fin XT fills the bill. The most efficient is the bio-fin pro. /www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/index.htm

The debate will continue, over and over, try them for yourself. Mother Nature seems to have figured it out eons ago.

I think split fins have their place. My wife dives Apollo Bio-Fins and loves them because she gets tired on a long dive with paddle fins she has tried. I use Mares Quattros and prefer them, but I am much stronger than she is. We have dived together into currents and I haven't observed her having a major problem. I suppose there is a monster current out there waiting to overwhelm her Bio-Fins but so far she hasn't had a problem.

sambolino44:
I keep saying I'm going to take both next dive and compare them, and never do. I'd like to try my Force Fins, my old Tusa fins, some Apollo Bio-fins, and some Jet fins right after each other and compare.

Dude, here is what you do:

Force Fin on your left foot
Old Tusa on the right

If you start swimming clockwise: Force Fin better.
If you start swimming counter-clockwise: Tusa better

Interesting fun fact:
If you put split Force Fins on BOTH feet, you will swim a giant dollar sign shape :eyebrow:

How often do most people swim against the current?

howarde:
How often do most people swim against the current?
I was wondering the same thing. If the current is bad enough to overwhelm someone wearing split fins...I don't want to be in there either (with paddle fins)

When you over shoot the boat, or like I did in Cancun, I got separated from the group on the descent in current as I couldn't equalize as fast, had to catch up in the current, it was no fun, but I finally caught them. The funny thing, my AOW instructor didn't even know I was missing :11:

Back
Top Bottom