Wow, that's a lot of weight!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not a small chick. 5'9" and around 200lbs. With a 80 Aluminum Tank and 5mm head to toe I take 32 lbs. I float like a nobodies business. If I could use an anchor, I would!

I'm a big guy here. In salt with a 7mm farmer, top and bottoms a 7mm hood and 5mm gloves 7mm boots and a 80al on my back I used to wear 38lbs. Now with steel 80 to 130's and one piece wet suits in 7mm the number is way down from that. I haven't dove any cold salt for awhile but on tropical trips now but even a 3mm shortie with a 80al I still wear 12lbs. If I had one of my steel 80 lp2400's on I could lose Appx. 8 more lbs. This is a lot of weight for some and very little for others. It takes time trying different combos on and getting weighted right. But when you get there you shouldn't need to use your inflater 1/8 of what you do now. You'll be able to control bouyancy with your breathing.

this weight business is pretty interesting. i may even put a bit back on, was on a dive the other week & couldnt put as much air as i would like into dry suit (had none in bc). dive was ok, no issues with being bit floaty but from a comfort point i need a bit more. which brings me back to do i use a harness or not.

I know a couple of guys that are around my height, 6'-1", 230 lbs and they can wear 3mm wetsuits, all their gear and NO LEAD in the pool and sink. They need about 6lbs in the ocean.

I need about 12 lbs in the pool and about 18 in the ocean with a 3mm.

I've also seen people around my size that needed 18 in the pool and 24 in the ocean with a 3mm.

Even wearing a 7mm Bare Arctic and 7mm Bare step-in hooded jacket when I hit the 45-50 degree lakes, I'm not breaking 30 lbs of lead. Right around 26-28.

i'm 265lbs and with anew 7mil farmerjohn boots gloves hood and al 80 in saltwater it took 32lbs to sink my big butt!

DumagueteGuy:
I started out with 12 kilos during my open water course, I am now using 10 kilos... but I am a big boy :) So I guess that is ok hehe

Wow! I didn't know you could use narcotics as weight. Isn't that quite a bit more expensive than lead?:D

I think it also depends on what the purpose of the dive is. If it's for OW checkouts, then the instructor wants enough weight on you to get you planted to the bottom for skill demos. If you're on any other type of dives, then you should be weighted enough to sink, but not like a rock.

I'm 6'6", 230#, and I use 10# in most cases and vary the weight depending on the wet suit and gear that I'm using.

CenTexDivin:
I think it also depends on what the purpose of the dive is. If it's for OW checkouts, then the instructor wants enough weight on you to get you planted to the bottom for skill demos. If you're on any other type of dives, then you should be weighted enough to sink, but not like a rock.
:shakehead
I'm not a seafarmer so I don't see any point to plant my students:wink: . The only other reason to overweight (outside seafarm) is working on the bottom, and that's not what rec divers are supposed to do (Remember IRS):no
In my opinion UW photo- and videographers should avoid that too, anyway in most environments.

bikinbottom,

When I went through my OW in 02, I was near your exact height and weight w/ a 3/2 tropical full suit. I needed 10-14 pounds of weight depending on if I was in the pool or ocean and depending on my particular gear configuration.

As long as you do your personal bouyancy check and you're good with it, then don't fret. You're probably where you need to be.

BTW, Ben and Jerry's is NOT your friend! Trust me, Karmel Sutra has bitten me quite hard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom