Any UK Light Cannon floods?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently recommended a light cannon to a buddy of mine looking for a good light, based on my own good experiences and those I've read about here.

He was actually hesitant to buy, because the Leisure Pro site apparently make references to a couple of floods.

UK has a lifetime warranty, of course, but it got me thinking: How on earth could you flood one of these unless you were completely careless and didn't screw the top on properly, which could happen with any light?

Has anyone ever flooded one? If so, could you point to something other than operator error?

I'm inclined to think the dork who posted the review is just that. But perhaps I've just been lucky. I don't recall ever reading about a flood, either, but I certainly could have missed something. Are they flood-prone?

I had a light cannon flood, but it was from a bad lens with a crack in the threads. I don't know if it was a manufacturing error, but I think it came from someone dropping it in the shop. After service it has worked fine for 50+ dives. The light worked immediately after a rinse and dry, but I had it serviced to get the catalyst changed.
Andy

Never seen or had one flood and there quite popular up here as vis is usualy dark and turbid.

Only thing I find is you need to change the O-ring yearly or else they can become depressed and make it A real B#@$H to open them . anyone else have this problem ?
I know I am not overtightening it because I know how hard they can be to unscrew...

Have four Canons. None of them have been flooded.

The key is to maintain a O-ring regularly.......

I posted one of the Leisure Pro flood reviews. I understand that if you screw the front down too tight, you can distort the O-ring and it floods. Not tight enough, and it doesn't get a good seal on the ring, and it floods. I have about 30 dives with mine since the last flood. Perhaps I got better with how tight I'm supposed to screw it down. (,,,and yes, I cleaned and greased my O-ring.)

Interesting. On both of my light canons, there seems to be a natural stopping point. Are you tightening the light beyond that point?

Compudude, some other related info, not sure if it fits your question, the LC has some known "light went out under high heat" issues before, the reason is related to it's blub/thermostead combo. Supposingly, the light should automatically turn off if the heat accumlated is too high, but somehow, the mechanism failed.

Now, it was before, the new LC (I think it started last Nov, a bit brighter as well) should be better according to the claim.

alo100:
Compudude, some other related info, not sure if it fits your question, the LC has some known "light went out under high heat" issues before, the reason is related to it's blub/thermostead combo. Supposingly, the light should automatically turn off if the heat accumlated is too high, but somehow, the mechanism failed.

Now, it was before, the new LC (I think it started last Nov, a bit brighter as well) should be better according to the claim.

No floods....but had two problems, both of which were resolved quickly and promptly by UK.

First it just 'went out' during warm water diving in Yap.

Second -- after several times of it going off but working after 1 minute of being off while bug hunting this last season, it just went out and didn't come back.

The first incident was blamed on a faulty ballast.

The second on a switch (the cherry switch on the ballast) that is depressed when the external switch is rotated.

The only similarities between both were that I was using rechargeable high capacity NiMH batteries -- although the times it failed and then worked a little later were on alkalines. Despite being told otherwise, I am still wary that the echargeable high capacity NiMH batteries and the UK are not compatible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom