Destin Jetty Report of 3/27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
I, Nemrod and scuba sidekick, Captain Fathom dove the east Destin Jetty today, 3/26. Water temp at surface showed about 72 and at 50 feet it was 69 degrees. High tide was at 5:30 PM but we went in at about 3:30 PM. Current was a little stiff but no huge issue. Max depth was right at 55 feet. Saw a few rays, various critters, picked up some (dead) shells.

Big thing was, yep, a seven foot long (or more) bullshark made three VERY close passes at us. I thought the three passes a bit unusual and since it was the turn point (my buddy is a hoover) we headed back in but in no particular hurry. The bull made no further appearances.

I would say viz was in the range of thrity feet, some sedimant kicked up by the current.

N

Damn, thats awesome - the big ones never come around when I'm in the water. I'm cursed.

Actually, sorry, it was Monday the 26th. LOL, I am ahead of myself.

It is my magnetic personality, I see sharks often for some reason. My buddy was really excited about the bull, "awesome" was the quote and it was though I have seen much larger, this one did seem a might aggressive. Well, perhaps not aggresive but more than just curious it seemed. It was an exciting dive. N

I was there at 5:30 pm. No shark sighting for me.

If you were there at 5:30 you probably passed us in the parking area. I would have been the guy with the double hose and the black SeaTec horsecollar BC. To bad we missed you, we would have made another dive. We went in a bit before high tide so still had a good current to buck but it was fun. Sory we missed you.

Mike, we walked in by the fountain. In early June I am bringing our boat down for a week or so and I hope to dive some other areas of interest from it.

Yeah, that walk through the sand in full gear is not for the weak is it?

Dove the Oriskanay today, current was ripping all the way to the flight deck--wow.

Headed towards Morrison for the AM

N

I have never heard of a shark at the Jetties before, is a shark sighting somewhat common?

Sharks are common within the entire Gulf of Mexico as well as ajoining waterways.

I was just wondering if antone else has ever spotted a shark at the Jetties.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom