Big Island Diving (driving to hilo after dives)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tehehe...who forgets gear in the car? YOU!
black sweat pants

I've been visiting the Big Island quite a bit recently because ATA opened up flights to Hilo... and, my understanding / experience is that taking the route through Waimea -- the highest elevation I saw was 2000. It takes me 2 hours - 2 hours 15 minutes (off traffic hours). My understanding is that the southern route through Volcano goes to 4500 feet and that the Saddle Road hits 8000.

My disclaimer is that I am NOT a NATIVE... and don't live there full time... just offering my experience.

And, of course, elevation certainly increases one's risk of decompression illness.... but, it's also important to know that DCI can happen to anyone anytime after diving... a good buddy of mine got hit after a single one hour dive to no deeper than 30 feet with no elevation greater than 800 feet. It's your judgment.... and, of course stay really well hydrated no matter what you decide.

thanks everyone!
I am finally in Hilo, and looking to dive, mostly in the Hilo area, but also up for west coast diving...Hit me up if you are willing to go diving with someone new! Very realiable, and a well trained padi MSDT instructor!
Thanks
edward

Depending on which website you check out, the elevation at Waimea is between 2500 and 2760 - not too crazy high. When you head out of Waimea to the north it seems as though you are going uphill the first few miles. I'm not sure what the official altitide is, and if I absolutely had to go to Hilo after diving this is the route I'd take, but I'd still stick around Kona for as long as I could.

I made one sudden trip to Hilo after a single dive years ago on the southern route and got imaginary (I hope) itches and a headache... probably coincidence but I won't do a same day trip in either direction anymore just to be safe.

friscuba:
imaginary (I hope) itches and a headache... probably coincidence but I won't do a same day trip in either direction anymore just to be safe.

I got the same reaction, but I also was telling myself that its possible I may get these reactions. So my self fullfilling prophecy was pretty much just a mental trip on my part.Be safe. Dive well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom