Poll on the Carribean

Which diving destination would you suggest?

• Roatan -- Anthony's Key or Coco

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • Little Caymen Beach Resort

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Turks and Caicos -- resort suggestions?

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • Walker's Key in the Bahamas

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Belize

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • Bonaire

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Other Bahama site

Votes: 10 8.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could look into www.cobaltcoast.com & www.divetech.com

They are located just east of the turtle farm on grand cayman.

A few friends an I were the first group to stay there when they opened new years week 2000-2001 and we've been back several times since.

Arie (owner) still sends us Xmass cards. I know it's really advertising in disguise but I still appreciate it anyway.

There was a poll, in Rodales I think, that voted Cobalt Coast as the best dive resort staff in the caribean this past year for whatever that's worth. I whole heartedly agree.

It's in a quiet area on the NorthWest tip of the island. 'Beach" diving consists of gearing up on the back patio by the pool and walking to the ladder at the end of the dock for entries and exits.

The diving is wonderfull. As you swim out from the dock, the bottom has a long, gentle slope to about 30 feet or so and then drops over a 20-30 foot mini-wall. Then there is a wide sandy stretch with coral fingers at about 60 feet before the drop-off of the 'the wall'. That drops almost vertical from 60 feet to a few thousand feet... Whee!

Dive Tech has some very accurate & detailed maps of the shore area in the shop that the DT staff created. They can really make it easy to plan your dives untill you get familiar with the area.

Cobalt Coast has packages that include all meals, a 2 tank boat dive every day with DiveTech and unlimited shore diving. They keep a bunch of full tanks by the stairs to the dock for use at any time by guests who have taken the dive package.

If you asked nicely and tiped the DMs, I'm sure you could get them to help cary gear from the van to the boat without much effort.

Jeeze, you'd think I'm gettin a commission from 'em or something. :wink:

If you haven't done Habitat in Bonaire then do it. I've been twice and I'll probably go back a few more times. Laid back easy diving. Beautiful clear water. Great night dives (I even did some night snorkeling with my non-diving girlfriend). Lots of moray eels. Easy boat rides. Shore dives that can't be any easier. Great service. Very little night life. A few interesting topside attractions (rent a car for two days). Whatever you do, don't go to Curacao! I made that mistake once.. It's not very tourist friendly and I didn't find the diving to be that good. The only bad thing I have to say about Bonaire is that the sea life can get a little boring - although even at that it's about the best i've seen in the caribbean...

I won't vote, as I can't compare to other places.

We stayed on Caye Caulker, which is must cheaper and laid back than the more trendy nearby Ambergris Caye. The food was excellent in every restaurant we tried. We went at Christmas, and it was very buggy. Lots of sand flies and mosquitoes - had to wear insect repellant. Many Belize islands are kind of swampy, so bugs are a concern. (But a co-worker went in March and had no bugs.) Most of the accommodations on Caye Caulker are no-frills. We stayed in a place without air conditioning, and it wasn't a problem because there's always a breeze - but I go for the heat, anyway, so I don't mind it being warm.

The dive operations provided excellent service, taking our vests and belts from us while we were in the water. They did everything. I didn't have to do anything but dive. A divemaster or instructor led the group of 6-8 every time. It was really easy diving, not deep and no current. Reef diving, no walls. Lots of great corals, turtles, fish, invertebrate life, and the occasional shark or eel. Excellent for new divers. No shore diving. We particulary enjoyed our dives with Forever Young Divers.

On Tobacco Caye, we had no bugs, and the snorkelling was excellent. We had planned to shore dive there, but the two dive shops on the island would only rent tanks and weights if you paid them to dive with you (for the same price as a boat dive!) Kind of defeats the purpose of shore diving. I wouldn't go there to dive.

Plaza Resort and Toucan Diving on Bonaire. Good accomodations, great dive operator. Lighthouse restaurant is excellent (about 2 miles away). A handful of other good restaurants as well.
Excellent diving.
My wife and I have gone for the last three years over Labor Day week and the cost from BWI on Air Jamaica, with lodging, breakfast and two tank daily dive was about $1350 for the week. Extra boat dives were$19.

This is an old thread, but..
Been to Bonaire, been to Roatan, been to Belize (twice), been to Caymans.
-Bonaire has the best night diving, shore diving, beaches, etc.
-Belize has great reefs and the best food.
-Roatan is great for neophytes, much of the great diving is very shallow. Cocoview has its own wreck, pretty nice, which is also good for beginners.
-Caymans have the best variety, and is a very pleasant place to go.

If it were up to me, I'd go back to Bonaire. I stayed at Buddy Dive, but would opt for the Sand Dollar this time around. Beautiful beaches, A-freaking-mazing night diving, flexibility, fabulous landscape, and wild goats and donkeys! What more could a girl want? :thumb:

SueMermaid once bubbled...
If it were up to me, I'd go back to Bonaire.

Well, have you been to Little Cayman or Turks and Caicos? If not, you might be surprised, as well as treating yourself to more excellent diving!:boom:

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac:D

caymaniac once bubbled...
SueMermaid once bubbled...
If it were up to me, I'd go back to Bonaire.

Well, have you been to Little Cayman or Turks and Caicos? If not, you might be surprised, as well as treating yourself to more excellent diving!:boom:

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac:D

Listen to Caymaniac. Add Cozumel to that short list.

For what you have described, I will put Panama as a consideration. You will probably spend much less and have very little turists around.

just a suggestion

bye
ivan

I only have about 40 dives since I began diving 4 years ago, but Belize is my favorate. Gaz Cooper runs a wonderful operation in Ambergris.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom